HO Scale Truck Document

Richard Hendrickson

For those of you who are interested in getting the trucks on your models right (or as right as possible), a revised version of my freight car truck document has just been posted on Google. It’s date (a bit prematurely) is April 1, 2014, and it includes some new trucks as well as better photos of a couple of others, plus information on the Kadee trucks which are now available with code 88 wheel sets. The web address is:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz_ctrHrDz4wcjJWcENpaDJYbUU/edit?pli=1

Richard Hendrickson

Tony Thompson

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

For those of you who are interested in getting the trucks on your models right (or as right as possible), a revised version of my freight car truck document has just been posted on Google. It’s date (a bit prematurely) is April 1, 2014, and it includes some new trucks as well as better photos of a couple of others, plus information on the Kadee trucks which are now available with code 88 wheel sets. The web address is:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz_ctrHrDz4wcjJWcENpaDJYbUU/edit?pli=1
This would, of course, be athe April Fool version <g>.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Andy Sperandeo

Thanks Richard! – Andy

Nolan Hinshaw

On Mar 29, 2014, at 10:34 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
[...]

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz_ctrHrDz4wcjJWcENpaDJYbUU/edit?pli=1
This would, of course, be athe April Fool version <g>.
You mispronounced "St. Stupid's Day".
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Stupid's_Day_Parade>
--
"Not only is it not right, it's not even wrong!"
From Wolfgang Pauli, perpetrator of the Pauli Exclusion Principle

Tim O'Connor

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz_ctrHrDz4wcjJWcENpaDJYbUU/edit?pli=1
This would, of course, be athe April Fool version <g>.
Tony Thompson

---------------------------------

I wish Richard would include more trucks to be comprehensive, and also
because showing inferior trucks is useful information for modelers. No
Roundhouse, Train Miniature, Lindbergh, and many others?

Anyway, just to note -- some missing trucks

Tichy Andrews
Tichy Bettendorf
Athearn National B-1
Eastern Car Works Dalman
Eastern Car Works National B-1
Red Caboose Andrews
Trix "AAR" trucks
Tangent 50 ton ASF trucks
Tangent 70 ton ASF A-3 ride control trucks

Also, I always thought the Bowser coil-elliptic was a PRR Type Y (2DF8?)
sideframe, and not a generic "AAR" design.

What cars does Atlas make that come with the National C-1 70 ton truck?
I don't recall ever seeing (or noticing) that truck before.

Thanks! I do appreciate the document, I just wish I had one "go to" document
that I could look up just about anything.

Tim O'Connor

Bill Welch

I wish to add my Thank You! to Richard for this document. I am one that has not been playing close attention to all of the action regarding new trucks over the last several years. I would also like to thank my friend Brian Leppert for single-handily improving what is available to us, which this document underscores. Yeah Brian!

I realize new trucks from model manufacturers usually are influenced their new model offering and I also know several of their people look at this group's comments. At the risk of opening a big can of ... I am curious what are the most needed trucks in 1/87th scale, maybe the top three? Maybe some insight would help them.

Bill Welch

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 30, 2014, at 1:00 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I wish Richard would include more trucks to be comprehensive, and also
because showing inferior trucks is useful information for modelers.

It is?  Gee, guys, can I see a show of hands?  How many of you besides Tim want information on inferior trucks?

No Roundhouse, Train Miniature, Lindbergh, and many others?

Anyway, just to note -- some missing trucks

Tichy Andrews
Tichy Bettendorf

I’ve listed Tichy trucks where there aren’t any alternatives.  But for the Andrews and “Bettendorf” trucks there are numerous better detailed alternatives.  The same is true of the trucks made by the other manufacturers listed above.  I do, in fact, show one Roundhouse truck, as it is unique.  But Train Miniature?  Lindbergh?  If I list every truck that’s ever been made, or even every truck that’s currently available from the manufacturers (much less every truck truck that you and others may have in your scrap boxes) the document would be MUCH larger and harder to consult.

Athearn National B-1

An excellent truck, but long out of production and, in my experience, almost impossible to find.

Eastern Car Works Dalman
Eastern Car Works National B-1

These weren’t good trucks even when they were the only game in town.  Why list them now when readily available alternatives are so much better?

Red Caboose Andrews

These are the Andrews trucks used under the 36’  Mather reefers, and have long been out of production.  The same trucks are modeled by P2K for their Mather box cars and stock cars.

Trix "AAR” trucks

Why would anyone want them, and where would you find them if you did?

Tangent 50 ton ASF trucks

They’re in the document.

Tangent 70 ton ASF A-3 ride control trucks

They’re in the document.

Also, I always thought the Bowser coil-elliptic was a PRR Type Y (2DF8?)
sideframe, and not a generic "AAR" design.

That’s a good point,  I’ll fix it in the next revision

What cars does Atlas make that come with the National C-1 70 ton truck?
I don't recall ever seeing (or noticing) that truck before.

I don’t know, but Atlas still cataloged the truck the last time I looked.

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 30, 2014, at 1:58 PM, fgexbill@... wrote:

I wish to add my Thank You! to Richard for this document. I am one that has not been playing close attention to all of the action regarding new trucks over the last several years. I would also like to thank my friend Brian Leppert for single-handily improving what is available to us, which this document underscores. Yeah Brian!

I realize new trucks from model manufacturers usually are influenced their new model offering and I also know several of their people look at this group's comments. At the risk of opening a big can of ... I am curious what are the most needed trucks in 1/87th scale, maybe the top three? Maybe some insight would help them.

Bill, to the best of my knowledge the numerous HO scale solid bearing trucks we most needed twenty years ago are now all available.  Personally, I’d like Andrews L section trucks with short journal box retainer bars, because the Santa Fe had a lot of them and modifying the Kadee Andrews to represent them is possible but fussy and time consuming.  It would also be nice to have 50 ton Dalman-Andrews trucks, since they were extensively used in the late ‘20s by GN and SAL.  However, I think we’ve reached the point where paying for the tooling, never mind making a modest profit, on odd-ball trucks like these is highly unlikely.  I think you are correct that, with the notable exception of Brian Leppert, manufacturers today introduce new trucks only if they’re needed for a new car model (Rapido's Barber L-1-S trucks for their 36’ GATC meat reefers being a recent case in point).  I’ll be interested to see what others suggest, but frankly, I think it’s an exercise in futility.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Richard wrote

>> How many of you besides Tim want information on inferior trucks?

Richard I hope you realize my comments are only made in the interest
of constructive criticism! :-)

Maybe it's because I was trained in the sciences rather than the
humanities, but I think a case needs to be made to demonstrate WHY
one truck is inferior (or superior) to another. Unless of course you
are only interested in preaching to the converted. STMFC'ers seem to
forget that 98% of model railroaders have likely never heard of us.

>> Athearn National B-1
>> An excellent truck, but long out of production and, in my experience, almost impossible to find.

Definitely still in production.
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH76527

>> Eastern Car Works Dalman
>> Eastern Car Works National B-1
>> These weren�t good trucks even when they were the only game in town.
>> Why list them now when readily available alternatives are so much better?

Huh. I think you forgot to add "in my opinion". I think both of them were
well executed trucks. If they suffer it's because they are styrene rather
than Delrin. But since you listed the equally well made ECW Taylor truck...

>> Red Caboose Andrews
>> These are the Andrews trucks used under the 36� Mather reefers, and
>> have long been out of production. The same trucks are modeled by P2K
>> for their Mather box cars and stock cars.

I don't think "in production" should be a criteria for inclusion. That will
inevitably turn your document into a "snapshot of the market as perceived by
R.H. in 2014" instead of a useful reference for many years to come. I still
have unbuilt Red Caboose reefer kits and I suspect there are many thousands
more out there.

>> Trix "AAR� trucks
>> Why would anyone want them, and where would you find them if you did?

They are found on Trix models. Tens of thousands of them. Just sayin'. They
are very pretty, with nice brake gear, but they are sprung (like millions of
pairs of old metal Kadee trucks) and probably generic.

Thanks again! I do appreciate your hard work.

Tim O'Connor

Scaler164@...

Maybe this has already been thrown out and I missed it... but... is there anywhere this document can be downloaded from?

Thanks.

JD

Tony Thompson

Maybe this has already been thrown out and I missed it... but... is there anywhere this document can be downloaded from?

Tony Thompson

Bill Welch

Thank you Richard. What you are saying is that truck-wise we 1/87'ers are now in good shape. That is good news!
Bill Welch

North Model Railroad Supplies <nmrs@...>

Richard H said

>> Athearn National B-1
>> An excellent truck, but long out of production and, in my experience, almost impossible to find.

Tim O’C said
Definitely still in production.
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH76527

Tim,

My exploded parts diagram for this car lists two trucks.

I checked Horizon’s dealer website and both stock numbers are listed as in stock,

with the following descriptions.

ATH90394 HO Truck  MDC Bettendorf (2) US List $5.94 pr

ATH90390 HO 70 ton Roller Bearing Truck, 33” wheels (2) US List $5.94 pr

Cheers

Dave North

Harry Bilger

Very nice, Richard! Thanks for sharing your work.

Harry Bilger
Denton, Texas

Tim O'Connor

Dave

How fascinating. Try reading the web page that I linked to, instead.

Richard H said
>> Athearn National B-1
>> An excellent truck, but long out of production and, in my experience, almost impossible to find.

Tim O�C said
Definitely still in production.
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH76527

Tim,
My exploded parts diagram for this car lists two trucks.
I checked Horizon�s dealer website and both stock numbers are listed as in stock,
with the following descriptions.
ATH90394 HO Truck  MDC Bettendorf (2) US List $5.94 pr
ATH90390 HO 70 ton Roller Bearing Truck, 33� wheels (2) US List $5.94 pr

Cheers
Dave North

Aley, Jeff A

I took the bait.  I clicked the link, and up came a webpage.  I didn’t see anything on the page that was in production.

Regards,

-Jeff

How fascinating. Try reading the web page that I linked to, instead.

Richard H said
>> Athearn National B-1
>> An excellent truck, but long out of production and, in my experience, almost impossible to find.

Tim O?C said
Definitely still in production.
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH76527

Tim,
My exploded parts diagram for this car lists two trucks.
I checked Horizon?s dealer website and both stock numbers are listed as in stock,
with the following descriptions.
ATH90394 HO Truck  MDC Bettendorf (2) US List $5.94 pr
ATH90390 HO 70 ton Roller Bearing Truck, 33? wheels (2) US List $5.94 pr

Cheers
Dave North

Tim O'Connor

Jeff

Are you just being deliberately thick?

What do you think "Due July, 2014" means -- that this item is no longer being made?

Does your definition of "in production" mean that the item has to be made in the
last 10 minutes?

Gad.

On Mar 30, 2014, at 9:25 PM, Aley, Jeff A <Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote:

I took the bait.  I clicked the link, and up came a webpage.  I didn’t see anything on the page that was in production.
I will just add that if Athearn makes more trucks than the number of freight car models they intend to produce and adds them to their truck inventory, I’ll add them to my truck document.  Otherwise, what’s the point?

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 30, 2014, at 9:49 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Jeff

Are you just being deliberately thick?

What do you think "Due July, 2014" means -- that this item is no longer being made?

Does your definition of "in production" mean that the item has to be made in the
last 10 minutes?

Tim, are you just being deliberately thick?

"Due July, 2014” means Athearn hopes to have the MODELS for sale by then.  There’s no indication that trucks will be available except for those attached to the models.  Maybe they will, but Athearn’s ad provides no evidence about that one way or another.

Richard Hendrickson

Tony Thompson

Richard Hendrickson wrote

I will just add that if Athearn makes more trucks than the number of freight car models they intend to produce and adds them to their truck inventory, I’ll add them to my truck document.  Otherwise, what’s the point?

       This aspect of Athearn's business is not easy to delve into. They have a parts list on line, but as that very list concedes (in small print, roughly in these words), if you don't find it in the list, contact us directly, as not all parts are shown in the web listing. That's how I found the MDC 100-ton truck was available, by direct email to Athearn. So I would warn against assuming that if you don't find it easily, it must not exist.