Brake Hose mounting Brackets

Gary Wildung

I am planning on doing about 100 cars on my layout with Air Hose and the brakes hose mounting bracket. Can anybody recommend a brand to buy.  They will have Kadee #5 on the cars.
Thanks for any help on this.
Gary

hubert mask

Kadee makes a bracket and hose mount.    Hubert Mask.

On Apr 7, 2014, at 3:50 PM, "GARY" <garywildu@...> wrote:

I am planning on doing about 100 cars on my layout with Air Hose and the brakes hose mounting bracket. Can anybody recommend a brand to buy.  They will have Kadee #5 on the cars.
Thanks for any help on this.
Gary

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

Hi Tech Details HO AAR Air Hoses, 22 in. with or without brackets. I use Precision Scale 39156 brackets, since they most closely approximate those found on most CB&Q cars. The PS metal brackets are a royal pain to drill out, but they look good on cars. The flexible Hi Tech Details air hoses are a huge improvement over Kadee plastic or PS metal air hoses, but they are pricy.

Nelson Moyer

Kadee makes a bracket and hose mount.    Hubert Mask.

On Apr 7, 2014, at 3:50 PM, "GARY" <garywildu@...> wrote:

I am planning on doing about 100 cars on my layout with Air Hose and the brakes hose mounting bracket. Can anybody recommend a brand to buy.  They will have Kadee #5 on the cars.
Thanks for any help on this.
Gary

Bruce Smith

Nelson beat me to it! <G>  I was about to suggest the same approach.  The rubber air hoses are the only thing you will ever use, once you start to use them!

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Hi Tech Details HO AAR Air Hoses, 22 in. with or without brackets. I use Precision Scale 39156 brackets, since they most closely approximate those found on most CB&Q cars. The PS metal brackets are a royal pain to drill out, but they look good on cars. The flexible Hi Tech Details air hoses are a huge improvement over Kadee plastic or PS metal air hoses, but they are pricy.

Nelson Moyer

Kadee makes a bracket and hose mount.    Hubert Mask.

On Apr 7, 2014, at 3:50 PM, "GARY" <garywildu@...> wrote:

I am planning on doing about 100 cars on my layout with Air Hose and the brakes hose mounting bracket. Can anybody recommend a brand to buy.  They will have Kadee #5 on the cars.
Thanks for any help on this.
Gary

Jack Burgess

As others have said, I too use the Hi Tech hoses. I've had Kadee hoses break the first time I put a finished car on the tracks.

Jack Burgess

Kadee makes a bracket and hose mount.    Hubert Mask.

On Apr 7, 2014, at 3:50 PM, "GARY" <garywildu@...> wrote:

I am planning on doing about 100 cars on my layout with Air Hose and the brakes hose mounting bracket. Can anybody recommend a brand to buy.  They will have Kadee #5 on the cars.
Thanks for any help on this.
Gary

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <maskisland@...> wrote :

Kadee makes a bracket and hose mount.    Hubert Mask.

The Kadee brackets follow a USRA WWI era prototype, where the brake pipe was bracketed off the end of the center sill. The PSC bracket follows the later WWII era practice of bracketing the brake pipe off the end sill with a formed sheet steel bracket and U bolt. Both have their place.

Dennis

Jack Burgess

Good information Dennis...thanks.

Jack Burgess

The Kadee brackets follow a USRA WWI era prototype, where the brake pipe was bracketed off the end of the center sill. The PSC bracket follows the later WWII era practice of bracketing the brake pipe off the end sill with a formed sheet steel bracket and U bolt. Both have their place.

Dennis

Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...>

Some years ago, Tim O'Connor pointed out that the Kadee brake hose mount was indeed unique, and used only on log or log bunk cars, the car kits for which Kadee originally designed them for.

I agree that it can be daunting at times to drill the PSC brass hose brackets, but they can be done reliably and relatively easily by setting them up in a vise for mass drilling,  then using a carbide #76 bit to start, and a regular #74 or #75 to finish (the size best able to accommodate the HiTech hoses). A great number can be done quickly at one time without much fuss. When these fine brackets were first produced by PSC (from Dennis Storzek' pattern), it was found that the hole was simply too small to be reliably cored through in this small casting.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach
Sacramento, CA

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <danspachmd@...> wrote :

Some years ago, Tim O'Connor pointed out that the Kadee brake hose mount was indeed unique, and used only on log or log bunk cars, the car kits for which Kadee originally designed them for.

Hi Doc,

That is undoubtedly true, but the Kadee bracket is similar to the Burnett Brake Pipe Anchorage and Angle Cock Holder. It's a little short, but then again, Kadee's coupler boxes are a little wide. These date from the WWI ear; the prototype illustration is from the 1922 CBC.

I've uploaded a comparison here:

Dennis Storzek

Alexander Schneider Jr

The Kadee angle cock and hose part, and the angle cock bracket below it in the picture, are certainly nicely done. But what is the piece above the hose, and where does it go?

Alex Schneider