From: David
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:54 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Boraxo Covered Hopper

I have an AtlasO ACF 70-ton 2-bay 1958 cu ft covered hopper lettered for Boraxo with reporting marks of GACX 40231 Blt 9-50 New 9-50.

Is anyone familiar with the commodity / commodities shipped in these cars and potential destinations?

I don't recall ever seeing one in service, but I do recall "Twenty Mule Team Borax" being the sponsor of "Death Valley Days" when I was a youngster (and those who also recall know how long that has been).

Thanks!

David Payne
Georgia

Charles Peck

The product was borax. After processing and packaging it became Boraxo. As for destination, it found its way
to many sinks where railroad boilermakers, railroad engineers, and railroad carmen washed railroad
dirt, grime, soot, and other natural railroad weathering materials off their hands.  It could at times be found
at both ends of Sherman Hill as well as roundhouses from Vancouver to Miami.
Chuckles aka Chuck Peck

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

The U.S. Borax Company originally used their famous wagons to haul Borax out of Ryan in Death Valley. Later this was served by the narrow gauge Death Valley Railway. Around 1927 a new open pit mine was opened near Boron, California on the ATSF. This pit was still going strong in the 1950s. Where the borax went is a good question. Obviously they made soap out of it, but it has a lot of other commercial uses.

See David Myrick's RAILROADS OF NEVADA AND EASTERN CALIFORNIA, v. 2 for more information.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

JoelDee

David, this is a Mojave Desert item no later than through the 60s.  If you don't model Sante Fe or the West, I would like to buy the car.  In the end, as I recall, they had their own short haul RR.  The Trona unit was sold numerous times and I think the last owner was the greatest polluter in our nation--have fun with the research as it is a great read.

They carried Borax and much later than the twenty mule teams of course, and was Ronald Reagans job as host of the show. And I hate to admit being old enough to watch, but I don't think I missed a show.  John Trulson