Topics

CRWX fleet

James McDonald

Hello list,

I am trying to survey the cars that the Capitol Refining Company of Washington DC had in service under the CRWX reporting marks in the earlier parts of the 20th century. They appear in the ORER after 1913, which corresponds nicely to the year that the Capitol Refining Company began their operations in the DC area by taking over the Columbia Cotton Oil and Provisions Corporation.

The number range of the CRWX cars listed in successive ORERs was 201 to 300. From photos I have found it appears that the lower end of that range were AC&F Milton tank cars of 8K gallon capacity. The upper range appears to have been occupied by 8K gallon GATC-built tank cars. The highest number I've been able to document of an AC&F-built car was 224. The lowest number I've been able to find of a GATC-built car is 273.

Does anyone have additional information about the CRWX fleet they would be willing to share, including where the division in the numbering between AC&F- and GATC-built cars occurred?

Thanks and all the best,

James

=-=-=-=
James McDonald
Greenbelt, MD.

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

James,

Can you provide a little more in formation. Do all CRWX cars predate 1914 or were some acquired after that? Do you have any built dates off of specific cars? The answers may help me focus my search a bit more. I hope to be able to provide you with some order dates and sizes.

Eric N.

[...]

Cyril Durrenberger

You can do a google search on 1919 ICC circular 6 O (not zero) and then download the pdf.  It lists the tank cars in service as of 1919 by number and gallons.  It normally lists the commodities hauled in the tank cars, but for Capitol it does not list them.  Listed are the following sets of cars.  The capacity of the cars is gauged (measured) and they vary by a few gallons.

201-225 all numbers   804x gallons
251-270 all numbers   805x gallons
271-295 all numbers   816x gallons

where x is some integer between 0 and 9

Cyril Durrenberger

On 2014-04-11, at 7:51 AM, James McDonald wrote:

The number range of the CRWX cars listed in successive ORERs was 201 to
300. From photos I have found it appears that the lower end of that
range were AC&F Milton tank cars of 8K gallon capacity. The upper range
appears to have been occupied by 8K gallon GATC-built tank cars. The
highest number I've been able to document of an AC&F-built car was 224.
The lowest number I've been able to find of a GATC-built car is 273.

Does anyone have additional information about the CRWX fleet they would
be willing to share, including where the division in the numbering
between AC&F- and GATC-built cars occurred?

James, I've attached a page from the August 1919 issue of Tank Car Capacities (digitized by our friends at Google), which shows the entire CRWX fleet as of that date. Based upon capacities, it looks as if their fleet consisted of groups 201-225, 251-270 & 270-295

Aley, Jeff A

Hi Cyril,

               I was unable to find the document when I searched for it.  Could you provide a link?  Ian posted a relevant page; I’m interested in the whole document.

Thanks,

-Jeff

On 2014-04-11, at 11:29 AM, Aley, Jeff A wrote:

 I was unable to find the document when I searched for it.  Could you provide a link?  Ian posted a relevant page; I’m interested in the whole document.

Jeff, go to books.google.com, and search for "Tank Car Capacities". It's the first item that turns up and begins with "United States and Canadian Railroads ...: Showing …"

Hopefully you're on the U.S. side of the line, or Google won't let you see more than snippet views.

Aley, Jeff A

Found it!  Thanks for the help.

Regards,

-Jeff

On 2014-04-11, at 11:29 AM, Aley, Jeff A wrote:

 I was unable to find the document when I searched for it.  Could you provide a link?  Ian posted a relevant page; I’m interested in the whole document.

Jeff, go to books.google.com, and search for "Tank Car Capacities". It's the first item that turns up and begins with "United States and Canadian Railroads ...: Showing …"

Hopefully you're on the U.S. side of the line, or Google won't let you see more than snippet views.

Douglas Harding

One reference under the Shorpy photo of the Capitol Refining Company http://www.shorpy.com/node/4310  includes this:

Washington Post, Jun 2, 1913

Refiners Buy Oil Plant

The Capitol Refining Company, which was recently granted a charter by the Virginia corporation commission, has purchased the plant of the Columbia Cotton Oil and Provisions Corporation, at Relee, near Arlington Junction, Alexandria county. The Capitol Refining Company is a subsidiary of the Jacob Dold Packing Company, an independent concern, whose main establishment is in Buffalo, N.Y., and its announced that about September 1, after extensive repairs to the plant, operations will be resumed.

If owned by a meat packer, the plant and tank cars may have been used for processing and transporting animal fats and oils, ie lard, grease, etc. There was a major side line industry making use of animal by-products, especially the grease, fats and oils. Other meat packers owned tank cars during the period of 1900-1930, with some of them selling off their tank cars and going to leased cars in the 1930’s.

100 cars may seem like a large fleet for a meat packer. But consider that In 1930 the Jacob E Decker & Sons Company had 70 tank cars, 8,000 gal. Though they were down to 20 tank cars in 1931, then back up to 30 tank cars through 1935.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

I searched all Railway Age annual order summaries from 1901-1919 and came up with only one:

Capitol Refining 25 40-ton tank, ACF ordered 5-15 lot 7689

Here's a link to a 1925 photo. Another posting of the same photo suggests 1916-1917.

CRWX 284 might have been relettered. Since the large lettering looks original, it might be from a leasing company and suggests the ACF order mentioned above was for 201-225 by process of elimination.

Eric

James McDonald

Thanks to everyone for the great responses on and off list about the CRWX cars. The responses were very helpful to me.

Eric Neubauer wrote:
Can you provide a little more in formation. Do all CRWX cars predate 1914 or were some acquired after that? Do you have any built dates off of specific cars? The answers may help me focus my search a bit more. I hope to be able to provide you with some order dates and sizes.
The first record I can find of cars with CRWX reporting marks is in the 1913 ORER. The Capitol Refining Co. took over the Columbia Cotton Oil & Provisions Corp. that same year, as mentioned in the text Doug cited. The facility had been an abattoir and meat packing plant since 1894 under various owners until a shift was made in 1907 to include cotton oil refining, alongside dressed meats and lard.

In 1913 when the facility became the Capitol Refining Co. the stockyards and abattoir seem to have been deprioritized in favor of cotton oil products. The Capitol Refining Co. traded under the brand name CAPRECO. Some CAPRECO products included White Dome shortening, Shortolene shortening, Potomac Cooking Oil, and Caprecorn Cooking Oil. Based on the products CAPRECO manufactured I suspected that the CRWX fleet was largely or entirely composed of tank cars, and Ian's and Cyril's references come close to confirming this.

The ORER lists the range CRWX 201 to 300 from beginning in 1913 and the same listing (including the 1913 date) appears in each ORER through 1919. My ORER library stops at this point and picks up again in 1950, but thanks to Ian I know now that the last ORER listing for CRWX cars is in November 1926. The Capitol Refining Co. appears to have ceased operations entirely in 1933.

I am unsure whether the fact that CRWX 201 to 300 is not fully occupied in the 1919 ICC Circular 6O Tank Car Capacities document indicates that the fleet was originally all tank cars and shrunk over time, that other car types filled in the gaps, or if the range was merely anticipatory and was never fully occupied.

The originals of the photos posted on Shorpy are in the collection of the Library of Congress. Here are the links:

CRWX cars at the CAPRECO facility. Viewed from east looking west
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/npcc/32600/32665v.jpg (lo rez: 90K)
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/pnp/npcc/32600/32665u.tif (hi rez: 31MB)

CAPRECO plant, viewed from southeast to northwest (after 1915)
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/npcc/32600/32666v.jpg (lo rez: 100K)
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/pnp/npcc/32600/32666u.tif (hi rez: 31MB)

The date must be after 1915 because visible in the background of the second photo I've linked are a trio of radio towers that were erected in 1915. If someone knows automobile types (not my forte), perhaps the one in the courtyard of the facility could be used determine the date more exactly.

Eric Neubauer wrote:
I searched all Railway Age annual order summaries from 1901-1919 and came up with only one:

Capitol Refining 25 40-ton tank, ACF ordered 5-15 lot 7689
CRWX 284 might have been relettered. Since the large lettering looks original, it might be from a leasing company and suggests the ACF order mentioned above was for 201-225 by process of elimination.
I agree with you on CRWX 284. That looks like it was recently relettered.

In the higher resolution image one can zoom in enough to read that the car on the far left, CRWX 224, was tested "11 1913" by AC&F Milton, PA. Would it be common for a car's tank to be tested more than a year before its delivery, or could the 1915 order have been for a different range of cars, perhaps an incomplete order of 250-270?

I'm hypothesizing that the GATC-buit cars were the 81xx gal. cars 271-295 since 273 and 284 seen in the photo are both GATC products.

Many thanks again for the great responses all around.

All the best,

James

=-=-=-=
James McDonald
Greenbelt, MD.

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

Tanks are usually tested a month or two before the built date, so 11-13 is unlikely for a car built 5-15 or later.
The 9-25 ORER shows 85 cars 201-295, all 40-ton, 8000g.. The listing hadn't been updated since 7-23. The 10-20 listing shows 95 cars in the same series. This suggests that 226-250 existed. I thought I'd scan 1913 for ACF orders for 25 tank cars. Anything stand out below?

lot 7206 25 for Keith Car
lot 7239 25 for Jacob Dold Packing
lot 7253 25 for Keith Car, 50-ton

So, I figure 201-225 are lot 7239, 226-250 are the 1915 ACF lot discussed earlier, 251-270 are unknown, and 271-295 are older cars, possibly relettered from GATX or JDPCo. 5-100. Later just JDPCo 60-95 were shown suggesting the series included just 20 cars numbered by 5s and would be a good quantity match for 251-270.

Why 226-250 don't appear in the 1919 tank car capacities is unknown. Perhaps they were just overlooked, and I got an impression that the listing wasn't complete anyway.

And thanks to James for asking the question in the first place. Some of these questions can actually get answers if a number of people pool their thoughts and resources. Granted that the CRWX roster is still speculative in many details, but it certainly helps understand the car photos, and at least one avenue of inquiry remains: Anyone know anything about Jacob Dold tank cars? If they were built at Berwick/Milton, I should have the original order(s) listed somewhere.

Eric N.