Larry Kline

Mikebrock

I have the sad duty to confirm Andy Carlson's message and to inform the STMFC that Larry Kline passed away today. Larry, of course, was a significant and long time member of the STMFC and was a yearly clinician at Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beach.

I have no details yet, I received word from Dick Flock through John Wilkes.

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner

MDelvec952

Very sad news. The loss of one of our crowd is always sad, but as a member of the editing class who produced a fine and very useful magazine for the P&LE Historical Society, his loss will touch thousands across generations.  I hope "The Little Giant" continues in his absence and that Larry's research and record-keeping is preserved.  He was a very good man.

Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Thu, Apr 17, 2014 5:54 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Larry Kline

I have the sad duty to confirm Andy Carlson's message and to inform the
STMFC that Larry Kline passed away today. Larry, of course, was a
significant and long time member of the STMFC and was a yearly clinician at
Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beach.

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner

Matthew Hurst

My condolences go to his family and all friends. Although we had only spoken in email and on occasion face to face, he was always very friendly and willing to share incite. He will be sorely missed.

Matthew Hurst

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:52 PM, "MDelvec952@..." <MDelvec952@...> wrote:

Very sad news. The loss of one of our crowd is always sad, but as a member of the editing class who produced a fine and very useful magazine for the P&LE Historical Society, his loss will touch thousands across generations.  I hope "The Little Giant" continues in his absence and that Larry's research and record-keeping is preserved.  He was a very good man.

Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Thu, Apr 17, 2014 5:54 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Larry Kline

I have the sad duty to confirm Andy Carlson's message and to inform the
STMFC that Larry Kline passed away today. Larry, of course, was a
significant and long time member of the STMFC and was a yearly clinician at
Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beach.

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner

Tony Thompson

Larry was a great friend whom I had known for more than 35 years. I was asked to contribute to an obituary document, regarding the hobby side of his life. Here is what I contributed.

Larry Kline

Larry was an active model railroader his entire life, and was continuing to work on his home layout. He was an outstanding modeler in O scale, with particular interest in trolley cars. He was a skillful scratchbuilder and had completed a number of ambitious projects, some of which won national contest recognition.
    Larry's home layout was set to model the Pittsburgh area, allowing him to include a number of railroads: Western Maryland, Baltimore & Ohio, Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh & West Virginia, and Pittsburgh & Lake Erie (P&LE). Larry was especially active in the P&LE Historical Society and had edited its magazine, "The Little Giant," for a number of years. He was also active in the National Model Railroad Association at both the local and national level. He often presented talks on both modeling and prototype railroad topics at local and national meetings, including the Prototype Railroad Modelers (RPM) meets around the country. He was co-chair of the recent series of RPM-East meetings, held in alternate years in the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia areas.
    Larry was always generous in sharing information and modeling approaches with others, and wrote numerous articles for hobby publications. He also contributed regularly to several on-line discussion groups. There is no question he will be missed by many.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Dennis Williams

Very nice, Tony. I will miss him dearly.
Dennis

------------------------------

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 5:02 PM PDT Tony Thompson wrote:

Larry was a great friend whom I had known for more than 35 years. I was asked to contribute to an obituary document, regarding the hobby side of his life. Here is what I contributed.

Larry Kline

Larry was an active model railroader his entire life, and was continuing to work on his home layout. He was an outstanding modeler in O scale, with particular interest in trolley cars. He was a skillful scratchbuilder and had completed a number of ambitious projects, some of which won national contest recognition.
Larry's home layout was set to model the Pittsburgh area, allowing him to include a number of railroads: Western Maryland, Baltimore & Ohio, Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh & West Virginia, and Pittsburgh & Lake Erie (P&LE). Larry was especially active in the P&LE Historical Society and had edited its magazine, "The Little Giant," for a number of years. He was also active in the National Model Railroad Association at both the local and national level. He often presented talks on both modeling and prototype railroad topics at local and national meetings, including the Prototype Railroad Modelers (RPM) meets around the country. He was co-chair of the recent series of RPM-East meetings, held in alternate years in the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia areas.
Larry was always generous in sharing information and modeling approaches with others, and wrote numerous articles for hobby publications. He also contributed regularly to several on-line discussion groups. There is no question he will be missed by many.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Gerry Fitzgerald

I was quite saddened and surprised to hear of the passing of Larry Kline just now. Larry was a wonderful person and the definition of a gentleman and scholar. All those in the hobby who had the privilege to know him will miss him. I always looked forward to talking with him at various local and national RPM and NMRA meets and no matter what the topic, I always came away learning something new and interesting. I first met him back when I was in grad school in Pittsburgh and always learned a great deal from him whenever we chatted. The Postwar Freight Car Fleet: North American Freight Car Designs from 1898 to 1947, which Larry co-authored with Ted Culotta is a terrific book and a main stay of any RPM freight car library. I always keep my copy handy! Larry was a truly good person, a wonderful modeler, and he was always willing to share his encyclopedic knowledge of railroad history and freight car design with others. He was also just a nice guy who made the hobby a better place. My condolences go to his family and friends.

Gerard

Gerard J. Fitzgerald

Charlottesville, Virginia

erict1361@...

I am deeply saddened to have heard of the passing of Larry Kline. I came to know Larry from Attending the Prototype Modelers meets over the years. I always enjoyed his clinics and presentations he gave at the meet's. one year got to visit his home and see his Layout. Recently, I  had a lengthy conversation with him in the Modeling room at the RPM East, last month. Larry was a great person. Always friendly, always willing to share his modeling experiences. He will be greatly missed.

Eric Thur

Jeff English

Having occasionally been Larry's roommate at the Naperville RPM meet, I take this a little personally.  I'm sorry I didn't get to see his layout after he moved a decade or so ago; the earlier layout was certainly worth seeing, and the plans for the newer one seemed to be a big improvement.  Lots of other good memories going back to the 80s, including some "extracurricular" night-time outings with Larry and Tony Thompson, among others.

Yes, STMFC hasn't heard from me in along time, but I felt this was worthy of making my contribution.  While I won't be changing my "deep lurker" status here, you can still contact me directly with any questions about NYC, Rutland, or S-scale.

Jeff English

Troy, New York

CJ Riley

Larry was the leader of those extracurricular excursions we (almost) all enjoyed. A night with Bill schaumburg being n exception. Thanks for your memories of Larry. Tony and I are having a hard time dealing with his loss.

CJ Riley
Pot Ludlow WA

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 12:33 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Larry Kline

Having occasionally been Larry's roommate at the Naperville RPM meet, I take this a little personally.  I'm sorry I didn't get to see his layout after he moved a decade or so ago; the earlier layout was certainly worth seeing, and the plans for the newer one seemed to be a big improvement.  Lots of other good memories going back to the 80s, including some "extracurricular" night-time outings with Larry and Tony Thompson, among others.

Yes, STMFC hasn't heard from me in along time, but I felt this was worthy of making my contribution.  While I won't be changing my "deep lurker" status here, you can still contact me directly with any questions about NYC, Rutland, or S-scale.

Jeff English
Troy, New York

genegreen1942@...

Should we say nice things about deserving people before they are gone so that they, too, may know how well regarded they are?  This group is made up of really nice folks (except for a couple of old curmudgeons).
Gene Green

Charles Peck

In response to Gene Greens suggestion about recognizing the great people among us, it sounds like a good idea.
Then he adds the caveat "except a few curmudgeons".  
So I suggest that rather than making the few curmudgeons among us wait to see if they get "unrecognized" from
this group of notable people, we allow the curmudgeons to self-identify themselves.  If nothing else, it will save much
band-width. (Whatever that is.) 
To help these curmudgeons know if they quality as curmudgeons, I offer a few tests.
If you have ever said; "John Allen did it better with a paper clip and a paintbrush.", you might be a curmudgeon.
If you still miss Marn-o-stats, you might be a curmudgeon. 
If you go to train shows looking for brass rail, you might be a curmudgeon. 
If you get complimented on a weathering job and the last time you looked it was still shiny, you might be a curmudgeon.
If you have wondered if that jar of 410M is still good, you might be a curmudgeon. 
If you have ever used kitty litter as ballast, you might be a curmudgeon. 

Others can think of more tests I am sure.
Chuck Peck
(Perhaps a curmudgeon myself.)

Carl Gustafson

Hey, I like curmudegons. At the very least, they provide entertainment.

Why, I might even be one.

Carl "Curmudegonly" Gustafson

Andy Sperandeo

I know I'm echoing what others have said about Larry, but it's only the truth: a gentleman, a friend who was always glad to see you, someone I enjoyed spending time with, and who always knew what he was talking about. I too keep the Kline-Culotta freight car book handy for ready reference. We will surely miss you, Larry.

Andy