erie 82582 Branchline 40' AAR boxcar kit 6' door, delivery scheme

Robert kirkham

I am assembling this kit and running into questions not answered in the instructions.  I probably should have tried some of these kits 10 years ago when they were commonly discussed on this list, but . . . this is my first Branchline kit.   So questions:
1) is this a foobie? 
2) should the running board be black or silver?
3) what is proper ladder choice for the car sides – the wider or narrower?
4) there nothing in the kit to create the running board lateral supports – I supply those myself?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham 

Clark Propst

We’ve always used the wider ladders on the sides and the narrower ones on the ends.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Robert kirkham

Thanks Clark,

Its confusing as the kit contains a narrow set of black ladders (i.e. for ends) and two sets of brown ladders – narrow and wide - (for the sides).  Also, the wide ladders are 7 rung instead of 8, so using wide would result in rungs on the side ladders not lining up with those on the end ladders.   I couldn’t find a prototype photo of this series.

Rob

Sent: Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:12 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: erie 82582 Branchline 40' AAR boxcar kit 6' door, delivery scheme

We’ve always used the wider ladders on the sides and the narrower ones on the ends.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Schuyler Larrabee

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie82525bdb.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie82525adb.jpg

Rob, these should answer your questions, though I suspect you have a large (six foot) diamond on your model, which is what you probably want.  The small diamond was replaced with larger one quite quickly after these cars were built.

If you (and of you) are seeking prototype photos of freight equipment, the Fallen Flags site owned by George Elwood should be a first resort.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/

Schuyler

Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2014 12:31 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: erie 82582 Branchline 40' AAR boxcar kit 6' door, delivery scheme

Thanks Clark,

Its confusing as the kit contains a narrow set of black ladders (i.e. for ends) and two sets of brown ladders – narrow and wide - (for the sides).  Also, the wide ladders are 7 rung instead of 8, so using wide would result in rungs on the side ladders not lining up with those on the end ladders.   I couldn’t find a prototype photo of this series.

Rob

Subject: [STMFC] Re: erie 82582 Branchline 40' AAR boxcar kit 6' door, delivery scheme

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Schuyler Larrabee

Nuts, I should have added that there is a diagram book in the Erie/EL/DL&W section that can define the group of cars you’re dealing with.

Schuyler

Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: erie 82582 Branchline 40' AAR boxcar kit 6' door, delivery scheme

Thanks Clark,

Rob

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Richard Hendrickson

On May 3, 2014, at 10:54 PM, Robert <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

I am assembling this kit and running into questions not answered in the instructions.  I probably should have tried some of these kits 10 years ago when they were commonly discussed on this list, but . . . this is my first Branchline kit.   So questions:
1) is this a foobie?

No.  Bill Schnieder would be offended at the suggestion.

From what’s visible in the builder’s photos, it appears to have been mineral red except at the extreme end, which were black like the car ends.

8 rung ladders.

4) there nothing in the kit to create the running board lateral supports – I supply those myself?

Yes.

I’m sending you off-list 3/4 left and B end builder’s photos.

Richard Hendrickson

Robert kirkham

Thanks for these references Schuyler. This and the photos passed on by Richard will help bring the model together.   As I model 1946, the small diamond on this model will be fine I expect.

Rob Kirkham

Sent: Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:16 AM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: erie 82582 Branchline 40' AAR boxcar kit 6' door, delivery scheme

Nuts, I should have added that there is a diagram book in the Erie/EL/DL&W section that can define the group of cars you’re dealing with.

Schuyler

Thanks Clark,

Rob

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Robert kirkham

Thanks Richard,

Of note, the model comes with a black roof; the photo you so graciously provided shows the ends black but, if I am not mistaken, the roof in the same colour as the sides. 

Very helpful for completing the model.

Thanks again

Rob Kirkham

Sent: Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] erie 82582 Branchline 40' AAR boxcar kit 6' door, delivery scheme

On May 3, 2014, at 10:54 PM, Robert <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

1) is this a foobie?

No.  Bill Schnieder would be offended at the suggestion.

From what’s visible in the builder’s photos, it appears to have been mineral red except at the extreme end, which were black like the car ends.

8 rung ladders.

Yes.

I’m sending you off-list 3/4 left and B end builder’s photos.

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson

On May 4, 2014, at 7:46 PM, Robert <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

Thanks Richard,
Of note, the model comes with a black roof; the photo you so graciously provided shows the ends black but, if I am not mistaken, the roof in the same colour as the sides.

I agree.  Many Erie box cars did have black roofs, but the photo shows that this class apparently did not when they were delivered from the builder.

Richard Hendrickson