Height of Tank Car Handrail

Bill Welch

In working on the Semet-Solvay project for Yarmouth I discovered the height of the styrene handrail on the InterMountain 10K car is 3-4 scale inches too high. The S-S prototype had a height of 4-feet 2 1/16-inches from the top of the running board.

Given that the handrails were safety appliances, was this height used by AC&F based on a rule or regulation?

Bill Welch

Mikebrock

Bill,
A quick look at AC&F drawings shows the height of the handrail from running board for 10,000 gal ICC 103 cars to run from 3' 11 3/4" to 4' 4 15/16". Semet Solvay cars show different heights possibly depending on the tank size. Do you actually have a Semet Solvay drawing?

Just an observation but AC&F doesn't seem to have had a definite idea of what the height should be. Perhaps it was based on some manager's height?

Mike Brock

Bill Welch

I do have a 10 K S-S drawing.

Bill Welch

Tony Thompson

Mike Brock wrote:

A quick look at AC&F drawings shows the height of the handrail from running board for 10,000 gal ICC 103 cars to run from 3' 11 3/4" to 4' 4 15/16".
Semet Solvay cars show different heights possibly depending on the tank size.
Just an observation but AC&F doesn't seem to have had a definite idea of what the height should be. Perhaps it was based on some manager's height?

      I have in front of me the AAR "Specifications for Tank Cars" book, effective August 1, 1941. It's a 6 x 9-inch softbound book of about 180 pages. It contains nothing for any car type about platforms or hand rails. This fits with what Ed Kaminski told me about AC&F sales: the buyer specifies all those details, as to what kind and size of platform they want. So I think there was NOT any standard. We will either have to model specific cars based on specific information, or try to use something "typical."

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Guy Wilber

Bill Asked:

"Given that the handrails were safety appliances, was this height used by AC&F based on a rule or regulation?"

Bill,

The United States Safety Appliance Standards for tank car safety-railings:

Number:  One (1) continuous safety-railing running around sides and ends of tank, securely fastened to tank or tank-bands at ends and sides of tank; or two (2) running full length of tank at sides of car supported by posts.

Dimensions:  Not less than Three-fourths (3/4) of an inch, iron.

Location: Running full length of tank either at side supported by posts or securely fastened to tank or tank bands, not less than thirty (30) nor more than sixty (60) inches above platform.

Manner of Application:  Safety-railings shall be securely fastened to tank-body, tank-bands or posts.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Bill Kelly

Guy,
The dimensions and location were later changed in 1920.
The dimension became 7/8ths of an inch for a rod or 1-1/4in pipe. A mininmum clearence of 2-1/2 inches was added.
The location was changed to not less than 36 inches and not more than 54 inches above platform or running-board.

These newer specs can be found in Appendix A of the _United States Safety Appliances for All Classes of Cars and Locomotives_ book issued by the AAR Mechanical Div.

Later,
Bill Kelly

Bill Asked:

Bill wrote:

"These newer specs can be found in Appendix A of the _United States Safety Appliances for All Classes of Cars and Locomotives_ book issued by the AAR Mechanical Div."

Thank you, Bill. I have a half dozen of those and got lazy while working on some other auto car info for Bill Welch.

I appreciate your update.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada