Sunshine CB&Q XM-25/XM-26

gary laakso

My cat, Spanky, located 2 Sunshine XM-25/26 unbuilt kits in a closet. Reading the BRHS Freight Car Data Sheet for this series of cars, it appears that the prior class, XM-22, was 6 inches shorter, so it matches the height of the too short Sunshine models.
Has anyone made this conversion and what type of car ends did the XM-22 have?

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

Charlie Duckworth

Can I borrow Spanky? I'd like to find another Sunshine Models Eagle Merchandise car for the layout!

Charlie Duckworth

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

Did Ted correct the car length problem when Speedwitch issued the XM-25/XM-26 kits? I have one packed away somewhere, so it’s not available for measuring.

Nelson Moyer

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:56 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Sunshine CB&Q XM-25/XM-26

Can I borrow Spanky? I'd like to find another Sunshine Models Eagle Merchandise car for the layout!

Charlie Duckworth

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4592 / Virus Database: 3950/7572 - Release Date: 05/27/14

Rob Adams

Nelson;

Yes.  The Speedwitch version of the CB&Q XM-25/26 is dimensionally accurate.  If I recall correctly, the major dimensional discrepancy of the Sunshine kit was in the body height, not length, but before we pile on, let's keep in mind that it was a relatively early Sunshine offering and a pretty nice kit in its day.  As we know, later efforts improved significantly, as have those from other pattern builders/resin kit makers.  The Speedwitch kit for the Q XM-25/26 cars is a very nice kit and one that you'll enjoy building.

Regards,

Rob Adams

On 5/27/14, 5:39 PM, 'Nelson Moyer' ku0a@... [STMFC] wrote:

Did Ted correct the car length problem when Speedwitch issued the XM-25/XM-26 kits? I have one packed away somewhere, so it’s not available for measuring.

Nelson Moyer

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:56 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Sunshine CB&Q XM-25/XM-26

Charlie Duckworth

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4592 / Virus Database: 3950/7572 - Release Date: 05/27/14

Robert Heninger

Gary,
      I have not done the conversion. However, the XM-21/22 cars had Murphy XLA roofs, and single sheathed ends, whereas the XM-25/26 had Hutchins roofs and corrugated ends. Here is a photo of a XM-21/22 car:

Westerfield makes a beautiful kit of the XM-21/22/23 series of cars. Personally, I would Ebay the Sunshine kits, and buy the Westerfield versions. YMMV.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

mopacfirst

Seems to me we have talked around the subject.

I built a Sunshine XM-26 several years ago.  Exactly where are the dimensions off?

Bearing in mind I'm modeling 1960, when the single sheathed cars were starting to be scarce, but the Q was one whose single-sheathed cars were still quite common in Midwest interchange, especially in areas where the 40' boxcar still was the default choice for grain shipments.  My recollection was that they were even more common than Milwaukee single sheathed cars, and perhaps even more so than rebuilt Frisco cars in Kansas.  Maybe only the Bx-12 was more common on foreign roads by that era.

Ron Merrick

Robert Heninger

Ron,

The Sunshine model is 6" too low in height.

Regards,

Bob Heninger

Minot, ND

mopacfirst

Bob:

Thanks.  I was hoping you wouldn't say it was too high, since it's a pretty short car even compared to a couple of the USRA non-raised-roof rebuilds I have.

Ron Merrick

jimbojk2003

The model is almost perfect for CNJ's XMe 18000 series box cars
Regards, James Cummings