You built a model of the Quebec bridge!?
That I would love to see.
Was it compressed or scale length?

On May 28, 2014, at 6:52 PM, "'Al and Patricia Westerfield' westerfieldalfred@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I’m getting my affairs in order.  No, I’m not dying, I’m eliminating magazines that didn’t go with the sale of the business, ones with my photos or articles.  I’m digitizing them, along with all my model railroad slides and prints.  I am unable to find my first appearance in a magazine, a photo in MR from about late 1964-early 1965.  It’s in the Trackside Photos section and shows a camelback on a model of the Quebec Cantilever, a model I built as a teenager. (I’m pretty sure there’s a freight car behind the loco.)  Would some kind person send me a scan of the page?  I’d be eternally grateful. – Al Westerfield

Pierre – Of course it was compressed but it WAS 10 feet long. – Al

Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:06 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] old photo

You built a model of the Quebec bridge!?
That I would love to see.
Was it compressed or scale length?

On May 28, 2014, at 6:52 PM, "'Al and Patricia Westerfield' westerfieldalfred@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I’m getting my affairs in order.  No, I’m not dying, I’m eliminating magazines that didn’t go with the sale of the business, ones with my photos or articles.  I’m digitizing them, along with all my model railroad slides and prints.  I am unable to find my first appearance in a magazine, a photo in MR from about late 1964-early 1965.  It’s in the Trackside Photos section and shows a camelback on a model of the Quebec Cantilever, a model I built as a teenager. (I’m pretty sure there’s a freight car behind the loco.)  Would some kind person send me a scan of the page?  I’d be eternally grateful. – Al Westerfield

Thomas Olsen <tmolsen@...>

Hi Al,

I will look and see if I have the issue and if I do I will copy it and
mail it to you as I do not have a scanner. It will be interesting to
see the bridge and the freight cars on it!

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu

On 5/28/14, 'Al and Patricia Westerfield'
Pierre – Of course it was compressed but it WAS 10 feet long. – Al

You built a model of the Quebec bridge!?
That I would love to see.
Was it compressed or scale length?

Sent from my iPhone
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

On May 28, 2014, at 6:52 PM, "'Al and Patricia Westerfield'
westerfieldalfred@frontier.com [STMFC]" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I’m getting my affairs in order. No, I’m not dying, I’m eliminating
magazines that didn’t go with the sale of the business, ones with my photos
or articles. I’m digitizing them, along with all my model railroad slides
and prints. I am unable to find my first appearance in a magazine, a photo
in MR from about late 1964-early 1965. It’s in the Trackside Photos section
and shows a camelback on a model of the Quebec Cantilever, a model I built
as a teenager. (I’m pretty sure there’s a freight car behind the loco.)
Would some kind person send me a scan of the page? I’d be eternally
grateful. – Al Westerfield

Pierre Oliver

That's about 25% of the prototype. Which remains impressive

Pierre Oliver

Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:06 PM

You built a model of the Quebec bridge!?
That I would love to see.
Was it compressed or scale length?

On May 28, 2014, at 6:52 PM, "'Al and Patricia Westerfield' westerfieldalfred@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I’m getting my affairs in order.  No, I’m not dying, I’m eliminating magazines that didn’t go with the sale of the business, ones with my photos or articles.  I’m digitizing them, along with all my model railroad slides and prints.  I am unable to find my first appearance in a magazine, a photo in MR from about late 1964-early 1965.  It’s in the Trackside Photos section and shows a camelback on a model of the Quebec Cantilever, a model I built as a teenager. (I’m pretty sure there’s a freight car behind the loco.)  Would some kind person send me a scan of the page?  I’d be eternally grateful. – Al Westerfield

Don Burn

My digital version of MR shows it as Page 52 of August 1967. I suspect you can find a clearer scan than what is was done by Kalmbach. It is a camelback leading freight cars over the bridge.

Don Burn

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: Thomas Olsen <tmolsen@udel.edu>

Yahoo Groups Links

Nathan Obermeyer

Al,

I found a June 1965 Model Railroader article for a tie cutting jig.  For some reason I wasn't able to find the camelback on a model of the Quebec Cantilever bridge article in my digital MR archives.

I wish the MR digital archives was scanned clearer and to scale.

Nate

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for the bridge photo.  I now have several excellent scans.  Turned out it was my first submission but my second publication.  The photo was an out take from an article on how the removable center span was powered.  My first layout was in an apartment.  It was C-shaped to allow unimpeded access to the front door and kitchen.  The bridge gap led to the bedroom and bath.

I brought the bridge to my very first NMRA division meet where it won first in the model contest.  Paul Mallery was there giving his bridge clinic.  He praised my effort and I was hooked.  From such things a career was launched.  (And yes, there were freight cars on the bridge.) – Al Westerfield