From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2014 11:25 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] War emergency 52'6" gons

Reference RPCyc 28.  I was looking at the roster of the 52'6" war emergency gons, and it seems the only group of cars not substantially or entirely having the wood lining replaced with steel was the LV 32600 series.  I'm trying to avoid the railroads where a few cars escaped the upgrade, since I'm trying to avoid oddballs and sometimes there are reasons why a few cars escaped rebuilding, such as being in defacto work service or otherwise not exactly interchange material.

Do I understand this right, that the LV cars didn't get the lining replaced?  Have I missed a good candidate?  And were the LV cars actually still in interchange service as mill gons by 1960?

Here's my motivation.  A few years ago I picked up a Tichy war emergency gon, before I realized that so many of them had been modified.  I've since done a couple of the F&C cars that actually model the steel-replaced versions, but I'd still like to do something with this one.

Ron Merrick

RICH CHAPIN

Ron,

Jan 1960 ORER lists 247 cars in series 32600 to 32849  for the Lehigh Valley with this description “ Gond, wood sides, steel drop ends, flat bottom, wood floor”

Same Oct 1962, Oct 66 has 103, Jan 68 has 3, Apr 69 has none.

Hope this helps.

Be Well

Rich Chapin

AHRS # 2366

mopacfirst

Thanks guys, exactly what I needed.  Maybe I didn't even need to have asked, since that same photo Brian mentions of LV 32667 is actually in the RPCyc.  It and the other photo, from eight years earlier, have the same lettering style so I don't even have to wonder about that.

I do have a major structural steel fabricator served by my railroad so I know this would be a good car for me.

Ron Merrick