Topics

NYC 710648

John Barry

Can any of you NYC guys help me with some modeling info for the NYC 710648?  I have it built in lot 702-G series 710000-710999 in 1941 and the builder's photo of the class unit from the CanadaSouthern website, along with a copy of the linked diagram.  All in all a great start to recreate this scene: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsa/item/oem2002005431/PP/resource/ , loading an LCM into the car at the Higgens Plant in New Orleans.  I see from the ORER that they were 70 ton cars, what kind of trucks?  Is there a commercial kit for this wood floored 52'6 gon?  The diagram and two photos give a good basis for scratching it if not, but if its been done. . .

John Barry

PS, did it have a class designation?  Not sure how that worked on the NYC.

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights

707-490-9696

3450 Palmer Drive, Suite 4224
Cameron Park, CA 95682

Eric Lombard

John, The ubiquitous Higgins boats were made by Higgins Industries in New Orleans during WWII. Here is a link to a short article in the local paper about it. Imagine running up on the beach at Normandy or Tarawa in one of these... made of plywood.

http://www.nola.com/175years/index.ssf/2011/11/1944_higgins_industries_in_new.html

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM, John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric,

Thanks for the TP link.  Lots of good photos there, although none of rail cars.  At least the bow ramps had a steel plate. . .

[...]

Seth Lakin

>Can any of you NYC guys help me with some modeling info for the NYC 710648?

John, There is not model of the NYC lot 702-G gondolas. If you want to truly recreate the model, I would start with the Proto 2000 52'6" Greenville gondola, sand off the ribs and start with styrene strips archer rivet decals for new ribs. The overall dimensions are fairly close. I would have to dig one of my kits out, but I believe that the kits came with two styles of ends, one of which matches the 702-G end. Decals, here again there is not a set that I know of that are a exact match, but could be pieced together from Komar HO-325 NYC War Emergency Gons (lot 723-G) or CDS 537 NYC 52' Gon (lot 791-G) dry transfers.

As for class designations, there was none on the NYC, only lot numbers.

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN
NYCSHS Modeler's Committee Member

John Barry

Thanks Seth,

Interesting how different roads did things differently, lots vs class, Dashes in classes, or not.  So much to learn about so many things.  That sounds like a reasonably straight forward kit bash to achieve the 14 panels from the 15 panel car.  The LCM with the removed deck house and ramp are not so straight forward, at least in HO.  Very easy and inexpensive in 1/72.