Richard Hendrickson

Tony Thompson

I have just heard the terribly sad news that Richard died in a fall a couple of days ago. I don't know any details. Richard was a marvelously well-informed historian and modeler, and always very generous with his time and information to anyone who needed help. An awful lot of us will miss him greatly.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Brian Carlson

I'm speechless. Thanks for posting Tony.  He helped me a lot over the years and was a genuinely nice guy.
Brian Carlson

On Jul 1, 2014, at 10:22 PM, "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I have just heard the terribly sad news that Richard died in a fall a couple of days ago. I don't know any details. Richard was a marvelously well-informed historian and modeler, and always very generous with his time and information to anyone who needed help. An awful lot of us will miss him greatly.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Guy Wilber

Tony,

Devastating news...I am deeply saddened.

My deepest condolences to Sandra, the family, and all (and there must be hundreds) Richard's friends.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

On Jul 1, 2014, at 7:22 PM, "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I have just heard the terribly sad news that Richard died in a fall a couple of days ago. I don't know any details. Richard was a marvelously well-informed historian and modeler, and always very generous with his time and information to anyone who needed help. An awful lot of us will miss him greatly.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Schuyler Larrabee

Richard was a fixture here.  If you wanted to know . . . anything . . . you asked Richard.  Anything at all about railroads, freight cars, and as it turned out, I believe there were other fields in which he was just as conversant with the real information.  And while he didn’t suffer bozos gladly, he would never, to my knowledge, just walk away from anyone with a serious question.

We have all lost a leader

This brings to mind one of my own observations, original or not:  “Whenever a person dies, a library burns to the ground.”  Richard’s library was much larger than most.

Schuyler

I have just heard the terribly sad news that Richard died in a fall a couple of days ago. I don't know any details. Richard was a marvelously well-informed historian and modeler, and always very generous with his time and information to anyone who needed help. An awful lot of us will miss him greatly.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Gerry Fitzgerald

This is really sad. Richard was a great person and contributed as much as anyone ever has to the RPM movement and freight car technology history...much less the hobby in general. Whenever I had a really complicated tank car question I would often just send Richard a message and a "definitive" response would be forthcoming, sometimes in only a few minutes.  The hobby has lost a true gentleman and scholar! He will be missed... My thoughts go out to his family.

Gerard

Gerard J. Fitzgerald
Charlottesville, Virginia

Jack Burgess

I am so sad to hear this. Richard seemed to be the soul of prototype modeling...he had an unbelievable wealth of information which he freely shared without criticizing anyone's choices or modeling abilities.

Many, many years ago he was here and obviously studied my freight car fleet as he walked around my layout. But he didn't say anything negative. A couple weeks later, I received a letter from him letting me know that the emblem on a Sunshine Seaboard Air Line Railroad box car was too large...the railroad didn't adopt that size emblem until the 1950s. I subsequently sold the car on eBay but used the episode in numerous clinics, "complaining" that Martin, who knew the year that I model, shouldn't have sold it to me...all to understandable laughter.

Richard will certainly be missed. My condolences to Sandra...

Jack Burgess

Shocking news.  Richard just ask to friend me on my new Facebook page.  He wrote of his future plans on his.  He was the finest freight car historian in America, perhaps the world.  He cannot be replaced.  My deepest sympathies to Sandra. – Al Westerfield

Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 9:22 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Richard Hendrickson

I have just heard the terribly sad news that Richard died in a fall a couple of days ago. I don't know any details. Richard was a marvelously well-informed historian and modeler, and always very generous with his time and information to anyone who needed help. An awful lot of us will miss him greatly.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Craig Foster

So sorry to hear this news. I met Richard at the Santa Fe convention in San Diego in 1994 and have enjoyed his friendship and expertise ever since. We even chatted a week ago on Facebook about the upcoming Santa Fe convention in Fresno later this month. He was planning to fly his Citabria down from Ashland.

His amazing contributions to this hobby will never be surpassed.

Craig Foster
Thornton, Colorado

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:52 PM, "'Jack Burgess' jack@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I am so sad to hear this. Richard seemed to be the soul of prototype modeling...he had an unbelievable wealth of information which he freely shared without criticizing anyone's choices or modeling abilities.
Many, many years ago he was here and obviously studied my freight car fleet as he walked around my layout. But he didn't say anything negative. A couple weeks later, I received a letter from him letting me know that the emblem on a Sunshine Seaboard Air Line Railroad box car was too large...the railroad didn't adopt that size emblem until the 1950s. I subsequently sold the car on eBay but used the episode in numerous clinics, "complaining" that Martin, who knew the year that I model, shouldn't have sold it to me...all to understandable laughter.
Richard will certainly be missed. My condolences to Sandra...
Jack Burgess

hayden_tom@...

Tony,  as Brian said this is shocking. I never met him, but he will be sorely missed.

About 2 months ago he sent me a 17 page PDF that was the beginning of a photo essay on the various types of Dreadnaught ends.Earlier discussions on this forum show that model railroaders have often been confused by the lack of agreed-upon terminology. The purpose of this photo essay is to illustrate the most common variations and suggest terminology for identifying their salient features. His e-mail to me said it would take a while to finish and would likely result in an article in a periodical. Are you aware of this project? Any suggestions on how to get this completed with honor and respect for Richard?

Tom Hayden

Tangent Scale Models

Thank you for sharing this Tony.  It is shocking.

I first met Richard in 1995 or 1996 - whenever the first Sunshine meet was in Chicago - where he took the time to teach a young whipper-snapper many of the "hard to learn before the internet" nuances of steam era freight cars over 20+ years, and why understanding those things is important.  He also helped me validate my more recent theories about the importance of offering General American tankcar models due to their pure statistical relevance compared to those from other builders, even when virtually no hard data nor drawings exist to produce them.

I also really enjoyed hearing about Richard's other avocations: teaching and flying.  He lived life the way we all should:  enjoy learning, work hard, play hard, and build models.

RIP Richard.  You will be missed.

David Lehlbach
(Tangent Scale Models)

Steve SANDIFER

I am shocked. I emailed Richard last night for information on a project. He was so gracious, so helpful. We roomed together at several Santa Fe Conventions and he was just as gracious there as on this site.  We were originally to room together at the Santa Fe convention in a couple of weeks, but then he remembered a family event that would cause a partial conflict.  I am truly sorry and will miss him so much. He cannot be replaced.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
I have just heard the terribly sad news that Richard died in a fall a couple of days ago. I don't know any details. Richard was a marvelously well-informed historian and modeler, and always very generous with his time and information to anyone who needed help. An awful lot of us will miss him greatly.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Keith Jordan

To All,

I'm deeply saddened by the news of Richard's passing. I first met Richard in 1984 at a Santa Fe convention. Richard was generous with his freight car knowledge, which as others have noted, was unsurpassed. I always enjoyed our friendship and shared love of freight cars, all things Santa Fe, sailing, car racing and flying airplanes. I even had the pleasure of flying with Richard up to his (then) house in Sonoma, where I stayed with him and Sandra, and on up to Dunsmuir. He was a superb pilot as some of you know.

I will miss him, as will we all.

Keith Jordan

Steve and Barb Hile

What stunningly sad news!  I can only echo what so many others have said.  I have never known anyone who was so broadly knowledgeable AND so willing to share his resources.  We shall all miss his expertise and his humor.  We have been privileged to have known him.  My deepest sympathy to his family.

Steve Hile

I have just heard the terribly sad news that Richard died in a fall a couple of days ago. I don't know any details. Richard was a marvelously well-informed historian and modeler, and always very generous with his time and information to anyone who needed help. An awful lot of us will miss him greatly.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Jared Harper

Gee!  I have known Richard since the 1960s when the Santa Fe Modelers Association was formed and he was known as Dick Hendrickson.  He was a contributor of information on freight cars then.  His knowledge of freight cars seemed encyclopedic and he had much of that information on  the cuff.  If you asked him a question he had an answer.  He was also immensely helpful after I formed the Santa Fe Modelers Organization when the SFMA folded.  He had an article to contribute to nearly every issue. When  the SFMO and the Santa Fe Railway Historical Society morphed into the SFRH&MS he continued his great contribution in The Warbonnet.  What many may not know is that Richard was also very knowledgeable about Santa Fe steam locomotives and provided information and drawings to the early importer Balboa to produce the 1800 class 2-6-2 and the 1480 class 4-4-2.  When I needed information for detailing the Key Imports Santa Fe 2-6-2s he supplied it, diagrams and parts numbers.  I will be forever indebted to Richard Hendrickson and will miss him sorely

Jared Harper
Athens, GA.

MDelvec952

Wow, shocking indeed. Words fail.

His gifts to the freight car community are immeasurable.

So very sad, for Sandra, and for all of us                    ....Mike Del Vecchio

Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 9:22 PM

I have just heard the terribly sad news that Richard died in a fall a couple of days ago. I don't know any details. Richard was a marvelously well-informed historian and modeler, and always very generous with his time and information to anyone who needed help. An awful lot of us will miss him greatly.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tom Madden

Terrible, dismaying and shocking news. Richard will be missed not only for his expertise, but for his advocacy for excellence in prototype modeling. As Tony says, Richard was beyond generous in sharing his thoughts, ideas and information. That's been taken from us, but his standards and notions of what we should be striving for will be kept alive. He leaves behind almost 2000 survivors on this list alone.

What a life he had - and what a marvelous legacy he's left us. Behind my sorrow I feel the urge to offer a standing ovation for Richard, for his work, for his friendship and for his inspiration. Gail and I offer our condolences to Sandra.

Tom Madden

Paul Deis

So very sad, a loss to us all.

Thank You Richard for all you have given to all of us. May you rest in peace

Paul Deis
D&P Mountain Railroad
SP Santa Margarita Sub

jon miller <atsfus@...>

Richard was a good friend. He gave so much for history and the hobby.

--

Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

David Sieber

Friends,
     I am stunned and immensely saddened by this news.  Richard has been an inspiration to me for decades, since the early days of Prototype Modeler and his WestRail conversion kits.  We have lost a pioneer of the prototype modeling movement, a highly knowledgeable and respected historian and modeler, and a true gentleman who was quick to share his expertise and extensive prototype resources with others.  He will be missed by the many who got to know him through RPM meets, his many articles and other publications, and Yahoo groups.  My sincere condolences to Sandra, and to those friends and colleagues who've enjoyed a long and close association with him.
Dave Sieber, Reno NV

dh30973

Richard will be truly missed by all. He is someone who has given so much to the hobby, with his vast knowledge and willingness to share it.
My first remembrance of him was, I think, at a 1986 SFMO meet at a church in Huntington Beach, California. Richard was giving a clinic in the main meeting room. Here from the back of the room comes this long haired guy in a flowing white poet shirt with the billowy sleeves and a man purse. Quite an impression among the usual train tee shirt crowd.
During the 1994 Santa Fe convention in San Diego, I was at that time modeling contemporary Santa Fe. However the railroad had just announced their intention to merge with the Burlington Northern. Richard while looking over my models announced: "Well Hussey, looks like you just became a period modeler". He was right.
Over those almost 30 years we have shared meals and stories about trains, airplanes, beer, wine   and European travel once or twice a year at the various RPM and society meets. I will truly miss him. My thoughts and condolences go out to Sandra.

Dave Hussey