Tulsa Oil Refiners

thecitrusbelt@...

I am seeking information on which oil refiners and chemical companies had their main operations in Tulsa, OK, in the 1940s and 1950s and which of those companies would have had their own tank car fleet decorated with company advertising.  I understand that by the late 1950s the transition to pipeline shipments would have greatly reduced these fleets.

So far I have tentatively identified only a few refiners that operated in Tulsa during that time period and only one or two that would have been headquartered there and possibly operated tank car fleets:

Mid-Continent Petroleum Corporation (COSX)

Paramount Petroleum Company

Skelly Oil Company

I’m sure there were more.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Barry

Bob,

You might try searching the state environmental agency for refinery sites.  I had good luck last year getting a copy of the Kansas Refining History through that route.   A search of the OK DEQ web site yeilded over 500 results: https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=refinery+site&btnG=Google+Search&domains=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deq.state.ok.us%2F&sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deq.state.ok.us%2F&gws_rd=ssl

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights

707-490-9696

3450 Palmer Drive, Suite 4224
Cameron Park, CA 95682

I am seeking information on which oil refiners and chemical companies had their main operations in Tulsa, OK, in the 1940s and 1950s and which of those companies would have had their own tank car fleet decorated with company advertising.  I understand that by the late 1950s the transition to pipeline shipments would have greatly reduced these fleets.

So far I have tentatively identified only a few refiners that operated in Tulsa during that time period and only one or two that would have been headquartered there and possibly operated tank car fleets:

Mid-Continent Petroleum Corporation (COSX)
Paramount Petroleum Company
Skelly Oil Company

I’m sure there were more.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Jonathan Pansius

Bob,

I made a copy some time ago from a Petroleum Reference Book (that's the actual name of the annual publication) from the 1920s, which shows three operating refineries in West Tulsa:  Mid-Continent Petroleum, Texaco and Producers & Refiners Corp..  The Midland Valley served the first two and the Frisco served all three.  In addition, Pierce Petroleum (later Sinclair) had a refinery in Sand Springs served by the Sand Springs Railway.  The old Phoenix refinery in Sand Springs was briefly operated by Chestnut & Smith (a natural gasoline producer) as part of their venture into aviation fuel.  Sometime in the 1950s, I think that Sinclair bought the Texaco and PARCO refineries and then closed their Sand Springs facility.

A lot of tank cars had Tulsa painted on the tanks but the owners did not have their refineries in the Tulsa area, but had their headquarters in Tulsa.  The Skelly headquarters was a Tulsa landmark, but the refineries were elsewhere, in Texas and Kansas as I recall.  Many of the natural gasoline and natural gas liquids producers had their headquarters here, Warren Petroleum being the most prominent for your time period.  Their tank cars (Type IV and Type V) would also have shown Tulsa on the tanks.

Jon Pansius

thecitrusbelt@...

Thank you, Jon.

This gives me a lot more to work with and I appreciate it.

Bob Chaparro

FRANK PEACOCK

Group, at least those interested in oil refiners in Tulsa, I checked in my library and found the following about the Tulsa/W. Tulsa refineries:
         1940   Mid Continent Pet. Corp.         30,000 BOPD
                     The Texas Co.                          16,000
                     Sinclair Refining Co.                 6,000           ( Sand Springs)
          1950  Mid Continent Pet. Corp.         44,000
                     The Texas Co.                          30,000
                     (Sand Springs-none listed)
          1960  D-X Sunray Oil Co.                   74,000
                     Texaco, Inc.                                40,000
          Note that in 1940 Mid Continent had 10,000 bopd capacity shut down.  Also, the trend as in most places was to fewer refineries but larger ones.  Economy of scale I think they call this.  Each year that I checked Okla. Refining capacity grew. Sorry for the delay in replying on this topic.  Tank cars would be seen all over the place in Oklahoma in this time period.  A good place to model.  FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

To: STMFC@...
From: STMFC@...
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 23:19:14 -0700
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Tulsa Oil Refiners

Thank you, Jon.

This gives me a lot more to work with and I appreciate it.

Bob Chaparro

JoelDee

I noticed Sinclair on the list.  I lived in SoCal and remember Sinclair Service Stations as a kid.  As they were not part of the pipeline between El Segundo and Martinez, would they have supplied their fuel products from Texas or Wyoming?
thank you, joel dee

FRANK PEACOCK

Joel,  The short answer is that fuels, via tank car, could have come from Sinclair, Wyo. or Houston or Corpus Christi.  Sinclair, Wyo.  seems to be the most direct route.  However, the 1949 Moodys states that Sinclair products were sold in 43 states.  The Pacific Coast and "adjacent states"were not served.  Also,  "A Great Name in Oil"(1966) does not show any product pipelines going to the left coast.  One was completed to SLC in 1953.  I don't know when Sinclair began marketing on the left coast, but I bet it was after the time of this list. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

To: STMFC@...
From: STMFC@...
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 07:00:38 -0700
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Tulsa Oil Refiners