Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2014 5:18 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Tread on lateral roof walks on box cars

List,

Several types of box cars have lateral roof walks that are integral
with the roof itself, such as, the Reading XAd, the PRR X37b, and the
B&O M27F. In photos there seems to be some sort of tread on that
area of the roof to help prevent slipping in wet weather. What type
of tread is this? Also, is there a decal manufacturer who makes
decals to simulate this type of tread?

Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Brian Carlson

Actually Archer has tread plate in various scales. If the Alan Wood was a specific pattern different than what they offer they might even create the sheet if you ask them and describe the market. Tony Thompson seems to have their ear.
Brian Carlson.

On Jul 6, 2014, at 5:47 PM, "'Eric Neubauer' eaneubauer@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I believe it is called "Alan Wood Super Diamond". Alan Wood was a steel mill in Conshohocken, PA presumably served by both the RDG and PRR.

For an approximation, try rubbing copper foil on top of a fine screen and then gluing or soldering to a core of some sort.

Eric N.

Several types of box cars have lateral roof walks that are integral
with the roof itself, such as, the Reading XAd, the PRR X37b, and the
B&O M27F. In photos there seems to be some sort of tread on that
area of the roof to help prevent slipping in wet weather. What type
of tread is this? Also, is there a decal manufacturer who makes
decals to simulate this type of tread?

Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Tony Thompson

Brian Carlson wrote:

Actually Archer has tread plate in various scales. If the Alan Wood was a specific pattern different than what they offer they might even create the sheet if you ask them and describe the market. Tony Thompson seems to have their ear.

      The only reason I have ANY of their ear is because I have sent suggestions, complete with dimensional data, for their use. My impression is that they are most open to suggestions. Just drop them an email. They do already make a "diamond tread plate" decal.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Evidently the Alan Wood Steel Co held the patent for diamond tread plate -- period. I never knew that
but it makes sense that someone would have invented and patented tread plate. Using it to make running
boards was basically an afterthought...

Tim O'