More Beryl Ford collection Photos

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Tank Car Photos

I can't give chapter and verse, but I do know that for most of the steam era Barnsdall (which was founded in Pennsylvania) had two refineries in Oklahoma, one in Barnsdall (of course) in Osage County, served by the Midland Valley, and a larger one in Okmulgee served by the Frisco and the Okmulgee Northern, a MV subsidiary.  The logo was a B in a square, hence the slogan "Be Square".

There are some more photos of Barnsdall cars in the Beryl Ford collection, but I do not have the catalog information.  Try other search terms besides freight car or tankcar, such as "factory"," Supply", "warehouse" or "refinery", or do what I do and just scan through the collection thumbnails page by page.  I made prints of several views of flatcars (and loads) and other goodies some years ago.  Rich Gibson tells me that new photos are now being added and sent me a view of the MV/MKT interchange in Tulsa dated 1929 (my time period).  Thanks Rich!

Jon Pansius

Benjamin Hom

Claus Schlund wrote:
"PRR (!) flat with load - in Tulsa?!?"
http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/22376/rec/2517

PRR 474308, Class F30A.  Nothing weird about this at all - remember, during the steam to diesel transition era, general service flats were treated like general service boxcars, and empties were rounded up for the next load.

Ben Hom

Claus

  Distillation columns / cracking towers spanning multiple flat cars.
   http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/3962/rec/7910

   --- A yellow SLSF #2023 GSC flat car. Listed series 2000-2172 in the 1959 ORER, 50 ton capacity.

    http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/12348/rec/4190
    http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/16091/rec/3801

     --- Appears to be an SLSF 95300 series 40' flat car -- Sunshine kits 45.4 to 45.6

    Note the last one appears to be on a C&O heavy-duty flat.
    http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/10514/rec/1000

    --- I think this is called a fractionation column (tapered part way up) but not sure

Tim O'Connor

mopacfirst

The two photos in the middle are of what I believe to be propane bullets.  You can still see these all over Mid-America at gas distribution facilities, where the propane or LPG is loaded onto (into) trucks for retail distribution.  They're called bullets because, um, they look like one, and perhaps because if you'd puncture one, that is what it would become.

They have no saddles because they are intended to be installed on concrete saddles built on site.

Fairly heavy loads, since the hemispherical heads are only used with higher pressure ratings.

Ron Merrick

Rich Gibson

Here is the photo mentioned in Jon's note from the Beryl Ford collection. Pardon the less than perfect quality as this was taken with my phone at an exhibition of local photographs. Note the Midland Valley produce car.

Rich Gibson
Tulsa

Sent from my iPhone