Thanks again for all the great info!

Tim Moran
Akron, OH

On 7/7/2014 5:33 AM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com wrote:
There is 1 message in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Reading Ventilated Boxcar (was Re: [STMFC] Pressed Steel Car)
From: Garth Groff

Message
1a. Re: Reading Ventilated Boxcar (was Re: [STMFC] Pressed Steel Car)
Posted by: "Garth Groff" sarahsan@embarqmail.com ggg9y
Date: Mon Jul 7, 2014 1:42 am ((PDT))

Friends,

Ventilators were quite common on many railroads up into the 1920s. The
Southern Pacific was a big owner. Even the Western Pacific bought a
clutch of 300 around 1918. When they joined PFE, these became surplus
and were rebuilt without the ventilators circa 1929. A few of these
still exist in museums, as most of the Sacramento Northern's ex-WP
double-sheathed boxcars were actually ex-ventilators.

Ventilators lasted longest on the southern roads. The C&O and Seaboard
still had some through WWII, and who can forget the famous ACL
"watermelon cars"?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/6/14 10:04 PM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@att.net [STMFC] wrote:

Al Brown wrote:
"So the Reading had vent boxes, back in the day. Who'd have thought it?"

Not that surprising. The PRR rostered small numbers of Class XM and XL
produce boxcars equipped with ventilators, though they lacked the
second screened door. Westerfield offers them in HO scale resin:
https://id18538.securedata.net/westerfieldmodels.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=139
https://id18538.securedata.net/westerfieldmodels.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=34

NYC&HR also had a total of 1300 produce boxcars built in 1902, 1903
(no lot #s), and 1910 (Lot 242-P). The diagram doesn't indicate if
these cars had second doors, but appears to show roof hatches and
ventilation.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/lot-138700.jpg

Model Railroader ran plans in Gordon Odegard's "Philadelphia & Reading
Ventilated Boxcar, 1901-1930's" in the July 1986 issue.

Ben Hom

Messages in this topic (26)

Yahoo Groups Links

Thank you for all your information. Normally, I simply lurk and learn.
This is a chance to share some info. This link shows one of the ACL
ventilated boxcars in Akron, Ohio:

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/82880/rec/7

The image date of 1948 was helpful in verifying a customer was still in
business on the AB&B RR.

Thanks again for all the great info!

Tim Moran
Akron, OH

Guy Wilber

Tim & Tim,

Note the two different designs of truck side frames on the ACL car.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Tim O'Connor

Guy

Interesting -- the one on the right appears to be "T-section" (I don't
know the technical term) and the one on the left a more modern U-section
sideframe. I think the one on the right was soon to become prohibited
for unrestricted interchange.

Tim

Tim & Tim,

Note the two different designs of truck side frames on the ACL car.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Tim and List Members,

Nice photo indeed!

The train ends with what appears to be an ex-PRR class N6b cabin car - caboose to the rest of the world. You can even see the paint patch panel where the A&BB apparently painted over the PRR road name and number.

- Claus Schlund

Tim wrote:

"Interesting -- the one on the right appears to be "T-section" (I don't know the technical term) and the one on the left a more modern U-section sideframe. I think the one on the right was soon to become prohibited for unrestricted interchange."

Tim,

"T", "L" and "I" section side frames were permissible in interchange until January 1, 1957.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Tim O'Connor

Yes. 8 years is 'soon' to me. YMMV.

Tim wrote:

"Interesting -- the one on the right appears to be "T-section" (I don't know the technical term) and the one on the left a more modern U-section sideframe. I think the one on the right was soon to become prohibited for unrestricted interchange."

Tim,

"T", "L" and "I" section side frames were permissible in interchange until January 1, 1957.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

midrly

I am far more curious about that N&W hopper car.  When did this class run until?  I'd love to model one if it would suit my October, 1956 layout setting.

Steve Lucas.

David

N&W car is class H-1, late 1930s second-time-around rebuilds of N&W's first steel hoppers of the 'Teens. Westerfield kit #1661. Unfortunately for you, they were scrapped in 1950-52.

David Thompson

midrly

David--

Thank you.  Not what I wanted to read, but that's the way it is...

All the best,

Steve Lucas.