Seley Hopper ca. 1944

rwitt_2000

Ray,

Based upon my research from other B&O documents listing their rosters the series:

"Sandy Creek Coal Co. 131700-131799, Baltimore Steel Car & Foundry 1907, HG copies, to B&O, 1907-1908."

The coal company should be the Sunday Creek Coal Co.

See "Fifty Years of B&O Rosters" a B&OHS reprint. The information in Daniels Summaries of the B&O S of E and ORER states "Sy. Ck."

I can send you a scan of the page if you provide your email.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

I have these as part of 3,000 cars ordered by Consol. Coal Co. in 2-06.
Fairmont Coal 3000-4699 became B&O 130000-131699. I suspect the Sunday Creek cars may have been numbered 4700-4999. Can you confirm this?

The other 1,000 cars were Somerset Coal/Cumberland & Pa. 5000-5999.

Does anyone have month-year built for any specific cars?

Eric N.

Ray,

Based upon my research from other B&O documents listing their rosters the series:

"Sandy Creek Coal Co. 131700-131799, Baltimore Steel Car & Foundry 1907, HG copies, to B&O, 1907-1908."

The coal company should be the Sunday Creek Coal Co.

See "Fifty Years of B&O Rosters" a B&OHS reprint. The information in Daniels Summaries of the B&O S of E and ORER states "Sy. Ck."

I can send you a scan of the page if you provide your email.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Ray Breyer

Ray,
Based upon my research from other B&O documents listing their rosters the series:
"Sandy Creek Coal Co. 131700-131799, Baltimore Steel Car & Foundry 1907, HG copies, to B&O, 1907-1908."
The coal company should be the Sunday Creek Coal Co.
See "Fifty Years of B&O Rosters" a B&OHS reprint. The information in Daniels Summaries of the B&O S of E and ORER states "Sy. Ck."
I can send you a scan of the page if you provide your email.
Regards,
Bob Witt

Hi Bob,

I used several sources when tabulating my Seley hopper roster, but the only original source B&O information I have is the B&O's car diagram page for the N-11 class hoppers. It says that cars 130020-131699 were originally "Fairmount Coal Co. 3000-3499", and cars 131700-131799 were "Sandy Creek Coal Co. 131700-131799".

That said, "Fairmount" is 100% wrong, based on a photo I have of the cars. The company name really WAS "Fairmont". So it's entirely possible that the other coal company is ALSO spelled incorrectly on the B&O sheet.

So I'd love to have a copy of what you have, especially if it's original source material. My email address is below. Thanks for the offer!

Regards,
Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL
rtbsvrr69@...

Eric Hansmann

The Fairmont Coal Company was one of the heavy hitters at the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries. They made several key purchases in the coal fields around Fairmont, WV, and eventually gained control of the Consolidated Coal Company from the B&O. More detail can be found on this website. My apologies for the political nature of any links or ads on this site but it does have a very nice summary of the Fairmont Coal Company.
Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX