MN&S box cars before the PS-1s

Thomas Baker

Group,

I have never seen a photo of an MN&S box car before the orders of the PS-1s. Did the line not have any SS or DS cars, or for that matter earlier steel cars, before ordering the PS-1 cars?

Tom Baker

---

John Barry

Tom,

MN&S is not listed as an assigned reporting mark in my Oct 45 ORER.  What RR is it assigned to?  I can check the list of participating carriers and the OG for them.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights

707-490-9696

3450 Palmer Drive, Suite 4224
Cameron Park, CA 95682

I have never seen a photo of an MN&S box car before the orders of the
PS-1s. Did the line not have any SS or DS cars, or for that matter
earlier steel cars, before ordering the PS-1 cars?

Tom Baker

---

Ed Hawkins

On Jul 15, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Tom Baker bakert@... [STMFC] wrote:

I have never seen a photo of an MN&S box car before the orders of the
PS-1s. Did the line not have any SS or DS cars, or for that matter
earlier steel cars, before ordering the PS-1 cars?
Tom,
Predating the earliest MNS PS-1s, the April 1951 ORER has a short 1/3 page entry for the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Ry. It states "Freight cars owned are not employed in Commercial Service." At this time the MNS operated 74 miles of road and had 8 diesel locomotives, but there is no listing of freight equipment.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor

MNS is an industrial line in the Minneapolis area. Something must have changed
in the late 1940's and they needed a reliable supply of box cars -- they continued
to buy box cars and even covered hoppers long into the post-STMFC era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis,_Northfield_and_Southern_Railway

Tim O'

I have never seen a photo of an MN&S box car before the orders of the
PS-1s. Did the line not have any SS or DS cars, or for that matter
earlier steel cars, before ordering the PS-1 cars?

Tom,
Predating the earliest MNS PS-1s, the April 1951 ORER has a short 1/3 page entry for the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Ry. It states "Freight cars owned are not employed in Commercial Service." At this time the MNS operated 74 miles of road and had 8 diesel locomotives, but there is no listing of freight equipment.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

John Barry

Tom,

Thanks to Ed's ID, I found a similar note in the Oct 45 ORER.  The Loco mix was different though: 2 gasoline electric, 10 coal burning and one diesel for a total of 13.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights

707-490-9696

3450 Palmer Drive, Suite 4224
Cameron Park, CA 95682

>  I have never seen a photo of an MN&S box car before the orders of the
>  PS-1s. Did the line not have any SS or DS cars, or for that matter
>  earlier steel cars, before ordering the PS-1 cars?

Tom,

Predating the earliest MNS PS-1s, the April 1951 ORER has a short 1/3
page entry for the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Ry. It states
"Freight cars owned are not employed in Commercial Service." At this
time the MNS operated 74 miles of road and had 8 diesel locomotives,
but there is no listing of freight equipment.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Ray Breyer

The December, 1930 ORER contains the following equipment for the MN&S:

50' reefers - 20 cars
36' flats - 41 cars
40' flats - 1 car
40' auto boxs - 2 cars
34' boxcars - 15 cars
36' boxcars - 10 cars
40' boxcars - 10 cars
Work cars - 3
Cabooses - 10
Passenger cars - 5
Gas-Electrics - 4
Steam Engines - 12

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

>  I have never seen a photo of an MN&S box car before the orders of the
>  PS-1s. Did the line not have any SS or DS cars, or for that matter
>  earlier steel cars, before ordering the PS-1 cars?

Tom,

Predating the earliest MNS PS-1s, the April 1951 ORER has a short 1/3
page entry for the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Ry. It states
"Freight cars owned are not employed in Commercial Service." At this
time the MNS operated 74 miles of road and had 8 diesel locomotives,
but there is no listing of freight equipment.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Thomas Baker

Ray Breyer rtbsvrr69@... [STMFC] wrote:
I do have a photo of a URTX wood refrigerator car leased to the MN&S. The photo was taken, I believe, in Washington, D.C. or near there during the late Forties. Wonder why the MN&S leased refrigerator cars and where they operated. Years earlier the MN&S leased or purchased express refrigerator cars. I am not sure of the time period but guess it was during the late teen years or early Twenties of the previous century. Again, I wonder where those cars operated.
Tom Baker