NTS Walthers head scratcher?

Brian Carlson

Walthers is reportedly doing the following:

Association of American Railroads 40-foot 1944 boxcar. Pre-production concept art shown. Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe; Baltimore & Ohio; Canadian National; Canadian Pacific; New York Central; and Northern Pacific. Two road numbers per scheme; also available undecorated. All-new model with 4-4 improved dreadnaught ends, 6-foot Youngstown doors, Murphy panel roof, 10’-6” interior door height, AAR (tab) side sills, 33” metal wheelsets, and Proto-Max couplers. $24.98. January 2015. Ready-to-run. Walthers Mainline. Wm. K. Walthers Inc., 414-527-0770

Why would they do this when there are HUNDREDS of Branchline kits still out there for less than the price. Also, says this will be a Mainline car which would have cast on details so they would be competing with Accurail.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

It¹s not a new car for them. This price is the same as the last run they did
of limited edition schemes. Example:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/910-1508

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Friday, July 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] NTS Walthers head scratcher?

Walthers is reportedly doing the following:
Association of American Railroads 40-foot 1944 boxcar. Pre-production
concept art shown. Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe; Baltimore & Ohio; Canadian
National; Canadian Pacific; New York Central; and Northern Pacific. Two road
numbers per scheme; also available undecorated. All-new model with 4-4
improved dreadnaught ends, 6-foot Youngstown doors, Murphy panel roof,
10¹-6² interior door height, AAR (tab) side sills, 33² metal wheelsets, and
Proto-Max couplers. $24.98. January 2015. Ready-to-run. Walthers Mainline.
Wm. K. Walthers Inc., 414-527-0770

Why would they do this when there are HUNDREDS of Branchline kits still out
there for less than the price. Also, says this will be a Mainline car which
would have cast on details so they would be competing with Accurail.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga, NY

Brian Carlson

Actually the link you provided is a pre-war “ARA” maybe based on the old TM X29. My point is why do a high priced low detail car when Branchline (better detail) and Accurail (better economy) are out there. There is still an opportunity to do a postwar car if you pick a welded car or early PS-1 for instance.

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Friday, July 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>

[...]

Aley, Jeff A

Wild speculation: Maybe this is the Branchline Yardmaster tooling???

Regards,

-Jeff

[...]

My bad; my dyslexia kicked in, making ARA into AAR. It’s the right letters
in the wrong order.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Friday, July 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>

[...]

Andy Harman

The Yardmaster tooling is now part of the Atlas Trainman line.

Sent from my overpriced graham cracker

On Jul 18, 2014, at 1:05 PM, "'Aley, Jeff A' Jeff.A.Aley@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Brian Carlson wrote:
"Walthers is reportedly doing the following:
Association of American Railroads 40-foot 1944 boxcar. Pre-production concept art shown. Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe; Baltimore & Ohio; Canadian National; Canadian Pacific; New York Central; and Northern Pacific. Two road numbers per scheme; also available undecorated. All-new model with 4-4 improved dreadnaught ends, 6-foot Youngstown doors, Murphy panel roof, 10’-6” interior door height, AAR (tab) side sills, 33” metal wheelsets, and Proto-Max couplers. $24.98. January 2015. Ready-to-run. Walthers Mainline. Wm. K. Walthers Inc., 414-527-0770"

Brian, do you have a link to the product annoucement?  It hasn't hit their website yet.

"Why would they do this when there are HUNDREDS of Branchline kits still out there for less than the price. Also, says this will be a Mainline car which would have cast on details so they would be competing with Accurail."

There's still a ready market for shake-the-box kits, and this car and the Accurail car model different prototypes.  The Accurail car represents cars with late R+3/4 improved Dreadnaught ends; this model, with its 4/4 improved Dreadnaught ends (hopefully with early taper) has more utilty for the steam-to-diesel transition era modeler.

Ben Hom

Aley, Jeff A

Ah, my bad – I thought Atlas was only running the Blueprint tooling.  I should have checked their website.

Regards,

-Jeff

Jeff Aley wrote:
"Ah, my bad – I thought Atlas was only running the Blueprint tooling.  I should have checked their website."

Different prototype too - the Yardmaster car is the 10 ft IH 1937 AAR steel boxcar; the new Walthers car is a postwar AAR boxcar.

Ben Hom

Brian Carlson

Ben I sent you the link off line the email I got was from MR it had tooling art no model photos. I know the Accurail and Walthers cars will have different ends. But this Mainline car is directed toward train set bozos who probably don’t car.   The walthers Mainline market is aimed at Athearn and Roundhouse (yeah I know Horizon has both now) models, at roughly twice the price of a built up bluebox. Again different prototype but for the great unwashed a boxcar is a boxcar. Mainline cars are built up I think not kits.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

[...]

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Brian,

Ah, B&O, a road that stuck with the 10" IH through the 1950s. Walthers does it again!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/18/14 11:53 AM, 'Brian Carlson' prrk41361@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

I think Ben's right on the money here -- lower cost RTR cars that can
stand up to some handling is still a valid niche in the market. They're
not kits anymore, so shaking the box doesn't accomplish anything. :-)

I have been watching Ebay auctions and kits and RTR of all kinds are
selling very cheap these days. But I've seen (badly) weathered Athearn
blue box cars sell for $40 or more. If there is one thing customers
hate more than high prices, it is having to actually build their own
models. :-)

Tim O'Connor

There's still a ready market for shake-the-box kits, and this car and the
Accurail car model different prototypes. The Accurail car represents cars
with late R+3/4 improved Dreadnaught ends;
Ben Hom

Armand Premo

Not for me.What I hate are no kits,no paint , no decals,high prices and limited offerings.Armand Premo

I think Ben's right on the money here -- lower cost RTR cars that can
stand up to some handling is still a valid niche in the market. They're
not kits anymore, so shaking the box doesn't accomplish anything. :-)

I have been watching Ebay auctions and kits and RTR of all kinds are
selling very cheap these days. But I've seen (badly) weathered Athearn
blue box cars sell for $40 or more. If there is one thing customers
hate more than high prices, it is having to actually build their own
models. :-)

Tim O'Connor

>There's still a ready market for shake-the-box kits, and this car and the
>Accurail car model different prototypes. The Accurail car represents cars
>with late R+3/4 improved Dreadnaught ends;
>Ben Hom

No virus found in this message.

Tom Madden

Ben wrote:

"Different prototype too - the Yardmaster car is the 10 ft IH 1937 AAR steel boxcar; the new Walthers car is a postwar AAR boxcar."

Just checked my Yardmasters against the 10'-0" IH IMWX. The Yardmasters are 10'-6" IH with 4-5 dreadnaught ends. Same IH as the Blueprints.

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

woah Tom, I just about fell outta my chair!

I went downstairs and got out the digital calipers.

height of side -- (top of side to bottom row of rivets)

1.375 Branchline Yardmaster
1.360 IMWX/Red Caboose

difference = .015" or 1.3" HO scale

So yes it appears the Yardmaster is a tad bit oversize. But not 10'6" IH!

Tim O'Connor

Ben wrote:

"Different prototype too - the Yardmaster car is the 10 ft IH 1937 AAR steel boxcar; the new Walthers car is a postwar AAR boxcar."

Just checked my Yardmasters against the 10'-0" IH IMWX. The Yardmasters are 10'-6" IH with 4-5 dreadnaught ends. Same IH as the Blueprints.

Tom Madden

Greg Martin

Based on the link this is the old Train Miniature tooling. The real question that needs to be asked is what makes them believe that they will be able to extract $25.00 for this cars from anyone.

As a friend of mine would say if yo don't like them don't buy them.  If there are enough folks out there that remind themselves of that they will fall into place in their market. Just because you have something built for you in China doesn't mean you will create a market at these levels for it. There other folks in this game that should get a nice little giggle out of this offering.

Greg

Norman Maclean

Tim wrote:

"woah Tom, I just about fell outta my chair!
I went downstairs and got out the digital calipers.
height of side -- (top of side to bottom row of rivets)
1.375 Branchline Yardmaster
1.360 IMWX/Red Caboose
difference = .015" or 1.3" HO scale
So yes it appears the Yardmaster is a tad bit oversize. But not 10'6" IH!"

I have to admit Tim is correct. I had assumed all these years that Chris took the Blueprint boxcar file and added ladders to it to cut the Yardmaster body die. When I put the Yardmaster next to the IMWX, I saw what I wanted to see. Looking at it again (Cow lippers? We don't need no steenkin' cow lippers!), the Blueprint is clearly taller than the Yardmaster, which is, as Tim says, a tad taller than the IMWX.

That's why I'm a passenger car expert!

Tom Madden

Greg Martin

And the InterMountain car is different as well, ask me how I knew this.  Anyone check the width... ah heck why bother I know the answer to that as well. I have those measurements in my IMWX/Red Caboose/Des Plaines box and I did use COW LIPPERS...

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 7/18/2014 10:44:03 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

Tim wrote:

"woah Tom, I just about fell outta my chair!
I went downstairs and got out the digital calipers.
height of side -- (top of side to bottom row of rivets)
1.375 Branchline Yardmaster
1.360 IMWX/Red Caboose
difference = .015" or 1.3" HO scale
So yes it appears the Yardmaster is a tad bit oversize. But not 10'6" IH!"

I have to admit Tim is correct. I had assumed all these years that Chris took the Blueprint boxcar file and added ladders to it to cut the Yardmaster body die. When I put the Yardmaster next to the IMWX, I saw what I wanted to see. Looking at it again (Cow lippers? We don't need no steenkin' cow lippers!), the Blueprint is clearly taller than the Yardmaster, which is, as Tim says, a tad taller than the IMWX.

That's why I'm a passenger car expert!

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

All true, but let's give credit where credit is due -- the Branchline Blueprint box car
got the correct stringers on the underframe, whereas IMWX got it wrong and I think
that same IMWX mistake was passed on to other models too.

Speaking of Richard :-) I recall that R.H. was indifferent about most underframe details
that were invisible except if the model was turned upside down. And I understood that,
and I think people made analogies about that to Hollywood, where props were only
done to the level that was needed to convince the viewer, and NO MORE than that. Our
layouts of course are rife with that kind of Hollywood logic.

But I tend to side with Jack Spencer in regard to underframes... I want them to be as
close to perfect as is practical. Byron Rose was (is) passionate about underframes; I
still have long  underframe texts from Byron on the IMWX, Intermountain tank car,
P2k flat car, and certain Sunshine kits (e.g. SP B-50-12A).

No cow lippers were harmed in the creation of this ramble.

Tim O'Connor

Tim wrote:

"woah Tom, I just about fell outta my chair!
I went downstairs and got out the digital calipers.
height of side -- (top of side to bottom row of rivets)
1.375 Branchline Yardmaster
1.360 IMWX/Red Caboose
difference = .015" or 1.3" HO scale
So yes it appears the Yardmaster is a tad bit oversize. But not 10'6" IH!"

I have to admit Tim is correct. I had assumed all these years that Chris took the Blueprint boxcar file and added ladders to it to cut the Yardmaster body die. When I put the Yardmaster next to the IMWX, I saw what I wanted to see. Looking at it again (Cow lippers? We don't need no steenkin' cow lippers!), the Blueprint is clearly taller than the Yardmaster, which is, as Tim says, a tad taller than the IMWX.

That's why I'm a passenger car expert!

Tom Madden

The car in question is pictured on this page (along with other goodies):
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/18553?page=2

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni