SANTA FE FREIGHT CAR HARDWARE

WILLIAM PARDIE

There is a piece of hardware on Santa F freight cars that has rarely been modeled.
It appears on the right side of the car (facing the B end) and just above the left truck.
This is used on SF freight equipment from boxcars to gondolas. I think that it might
be a defective card holder. It has a flange on the sides with a rivit for attachment.
The front is sloped with a notch on the bottom. It appears to be about 4 X6 inches
and appears best on refers as it is painted black like the rest of the hardware.

Does anyone know if a casting was ever produced for this item? It is easy to produce,
however, I have many cars.

Bill Pardie

Benjamin Hom

While on the subject of signature Santa Fe freight car hardware, what's the best way to model the Royal F Brake Regulator?  Would there be a market for a detail part?

Ben Hom

Pierre Oliver

The best way maybe is to wait for Yarmouth Model Works to release their ATSF Bx-48 thru to Bx-63 All will have Royal slack adjustors and we could easily be persuaded to sell more.
Projected release Fall 2014
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Pierre Oliver wrote:
"The best way maybe is to wait for Yarmouth Model Works to release their ATSF Bx-48 thru to Bx-63 All will have Royal slack adjustors and we could easily be persuaded to sell more.
Projected release Fall 2014"

Have a bunch of ATSF boxcars on the build list - I can wait for both the kits and parts!

Ben Hom

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

If it is a defect card holder, Free State Systems has some in photo-etched
brass:

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/modeling/new%20products/freest/carcut-rte
crdmain.html

Jack Burgess

<
<
<There is a piece of hardware on Santa F freight cars that has rarely
<been modeled.
<It appears on the right side of the car (facing the B end) and just
<above the left truck.
<This is used on SF freight equipment from boxcars to gondolas. I think
<that it might be a defective card holder. It has a flange on the sides
<with a rivit for attachment.
<The front is sloped with a notch on the bottom. It appears to be about
<4 X6 inches and appears best on refers as it is painted black like the
<rest of the hardware.
<
<Does anyone know if a casting was ever produced for this item? It is
<easy to produce, however, I have many cars.
<
<Bill Pardie
<
<------------------------------------
<Posted by: WILLIAM PARDIE <pardiew001@...>
<------------------------------------
<
<
<------------------------------------
<
<Yahoo Groups Links
<
<
<

Andy Sperandeo

Hi Ben,

I think there would be a market for a Royal Type F brake regulator. I've been representing them on cars with a method Richard Hendrickson showed in some of his articles and his Westrail instructions, using strips of styrene 1x2 and 2x2, leaving a slot to support the secondary brake lever. This represents the part in silhouette, but doesn't really model its details. It wortks with Richard's philosophy of only being concerned with details seen when a car is on the track. I'd post a photo but I don't think I've ever shot a closeup showing it.

So long,

Andy

Andy Sperandeo

That's good news, Pierre. I'll be in line to buy some. – Andy