Need Help With Built Date: HPCX 1200-1210

Rex Racer

I'm doing some research on the Hercules Powder Co rolling stock (reefers) and I need to get the built date and possibly the date these cars were no longer listed in the ORER. I BELIEVE the built date was 12/49 and I know that the Oct.1953 ORER lists these cars (8 cars 1200-1210) but that's the only guide I have. Can someone please look up this info for me? I would really appreciate any help.

Jeff Maurer

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Jeff,

Gone by October 1958, according to my ORER. Interestingly, they do list four boxcars, 400-403 with steel underframes (suggesting a wood superstructure), IL 40' 6", IH 8', 2862 cu ft, and 404-407 (without any descriptive comments, but likely also wooden), at 36' 8", IH 7' 7", 1555 cu ft.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/23/14 2:20 PM, mitatech@... [STMFC] wrote:

I'm doing some research on the Hercules Powder Co rolling stock (reefers) and I need to get the built date and possibly the date these cars were no longer listed in the ORER. I BELIEVE the built date was 12/49 and I know that the Oct.1953 ORER lists these cars (8 cars 1200-1210) but that's the only guide I have. Can someone please look up this info for me? I would really appreciate any help.

Jeff Maurer

ROGER HINMAN

The HPCX 12xx series refrigerator cars you mentioned are ex MDT steel underframe cars built in the 1920s. They were probably purchased  from a scrap dealer or other railroad as no record of direct sale from MDT exists.There's a photo of HPCX 1205 in my book, the photo and at least one other is available from Bob's Photo.

Roger Hinman

On Jul 23, 2014, at 3:47 PM, Garth Groff sarahsan@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

On

Rex Racer

Thanks to both of you for the response. Since the cars were used to carry explosives they were all made out of wood with steel underframes. I think that you will be able to see the cars (in N scale at least) in the next couple of months.

Jeff Maurer
Sacramento Valley NTrak