Hoarders

Marty Ross

Hi Gang,

I'm brand new to the group and the C&NW is my area of interest.

In reference to "400" and the North-Western, it began with passenger service between Chicago and Minneapolis/St. Paul in 1935.  It referred to 400 miles in 400 minutes and was in direct competition (speed) with the Milwaukee Road.

As time passed, the "400" moniker became well known and was applied to other passenger routes as well.  It became so tied to the C&NW that the logo began to be used on freight service as an easy identifier.

A quick search for the history of the C&NW will provide details about the timeline info.

Cheers,

Marty Ross

golden1014

The poularity of the "400" term lasted well into the 1990s.  I went to a bar one night in downtown Minneapolis called "The 400 Club, and they even had t-shirts available with the popular steam-era emblem.  It was my first authentic steam-era t-shirt.

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

Marty Ross

How True - How True

My hometown, Shawano, WI - the crossing point of the C&NW and the Soo, still has its own "400 Bar."  It was, and still is, a rowdy place.  Just down the street there was a railroad hotel that housed mostly train crews.

BTW - The old "400" in the Ceder-Riverside in Minneapolis closed in 2013, but is re-opening in the Mall of America, very soon, as a live music venue and restaurant.

John, I hate to break the news to you, but the bar's logo isn't the same as the CNW.  They're still selling the T-shirts at the mall until the club opens.

Marty

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:35 PM, "golden1014@... [STMFC]"

The poularity of the "400" term lasted well into the 1990s.  I went to a bar one night in downtown Minneapolis called "The 400 Club, and they even had t-shirts available with the popular steam-era emblem.  It was my first authentic steam-era t-shirt.

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

golden1014

John, I hate to break the news to you, but the bar's logo isn't the same as the CNW.  They're still selling the T-shirts at the mall until the club opens.

Marty

Well...as I recall the logo on my shirt looked like the one on my steam era box car models (required content), and my memory is NEVER wrong.  In any event is was a fun night and I got the t-shirt to prove it.

John Golden
Hosting St. Louis RPM This Weekend in Collinsville, IL

A&Y Dave in MD

Are these the boxcar models with PRR Brunswick Green sides and SOU red cab roofs, and lettered for Santa Fe?  I saw one in a color photo postcard dated 1928 so your memory is accurate! It was being pulled by a team of oxen!

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad