Demise of RMC?

Layout Tour

Looking through the June issue of RMC which finally arrived, there is an informative prototype article on The Great Northern’ s Plywood Boxcars by Steffan Ehnbom, Scott Lupia’s beautiful modeling of a SCL E7B, as well as Bill’s overview of the Valley Forge RPM Meet in March which I think will be of interest to many in the group.

I’ve heard their story that it was at the printers who was is in the process of moving, but I’ve also gotten emails that Carsten’s failed to pay taxes, make payroll and that it’s been for sale.   What I do know is that I haven’t even received a token payment for my last 3 articles in RMC or for the cover photo of the August 2013 RMC, and I know I’m not alone in that category.  Henry has refused to even return my phone calls or answer my emails for over a year.

Unfortunately if RMC fails I think the loss will be particularly felt by this group.  The dedicated staff has consistently provided detailed articles on almost every industry associated with railroads during the steam era, as well as in-depth construction articles by talented authors on every type of rolling stock which have been an inspiration for me.  I hope to see them continue, but it’s certainly not looking very promising.

Chuck Davis

Norfolk VA

Thomas Baker

Although I had no idea of failed payments to authors and photographers, I have wondered what is happening at RMC. First we lose Mainline Modeler and now maybe RMC. I haven't figured out what exactly causes the muted draw Model Railroader has for me, but its draw is definitely muted. The series of articles by Ted Culotta and Clark Probst were really a big draw for me, and I don't even model in HO, but in S. I saw the material on S in the June issue a bit in the way of filler but still helpful. I hope we do not lose RMC, but I cannot halt the forward and inexorable march of demographics.
Tom Baker

*Looking through the June issue of RMC which finally arrived, there is an informative prototype article on The Great Northern� s Plywood Boxcars by Steffan Ehnbom, Scott Lupia�s beautiful modeling of a SCL E7B, as well as Bill�s overview of the Valley Forge RPM Meet in March which I think will be of interest to many in the group. *

* *

[...]

---

A&Y Dave in MD

I don't think it is necessarily demographics, but the rise of mobile technology. MRH has grown considerably and has a higher readership than RMC. Older demographics may not like the medium as much, but there are readers of some demographic, and steam era content, at MRH. And blogs and websites and lists are likely replacing or picking up the readers dropping RMC. I guess that is a demographic march of a different kind.

I'm convinced the hobby is changing in many respects, some of which make me uncomfortable or require adjustment in my habits and expectations, but others have made me happy or even more comfortable in the hobby. I don't feel like playing taps, but I do have to change the tune...

I'd rather have access to the info that my pad, digital camera, and the internet have given me and lose a printed magazine, than keep the printed magazine and not have had the other changes.

Dave

On Aug 7, 2014, at 10:41 PM, "Tom Baker bakert@andrews.edu [STMFC]" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
I hope we do not lose RMC, but I cannot halt the forward and inexorable
march of demographics.
Tom Baker

Tim O'Connor

Tom

I don't think it is demographics at all -- In the 1960's when I was a
teenager, my Dad got Trains, Model Railroader and RMC. And there were a
few hundred published books, with some prototype railroads having 15 or
even 20 titles! My Dad had maybe 30 or 40 books including Car Builder Cycs.

By the 1990's we also had Mainline Modeler, Model Railroading, and Railmodel
Journal. And new publishers cranking out new books every week. Usually more
than several every week. Heck we're up to issue #28 of the RP Cyclopedia!

Now we have modeling ezines from historical societies, more books than ever,
and tens of thousands of blogs, web sites, photo sites, archival sites, etc.
People have collections of hundreds of books and special publications.

I subscribe to RMC and I enjoy the magazine but really, in this hurricane
of railroad and modeling information that we live in, will we really feel
at all deprived without it? Some months I have no time to read even one
article.

It's not demographics -- it's information overload!

Tim O'Connor

Although I had no idea of failed payments to authors and photographers,
I have wondered what is happening at RMC. First we lose Mainline Modeler
and now maybe RMC. I haven't figured out what exactly causes the muted
draw Model Railroader has for me, but its draw is definitely muted. The
series of articles by Ted Culotta and Clark Probst were really a big
draw for me, and I don't even model in HO, but in S. I saw the material
on S in the June issue a bit in the way of filler but still helpful. I
hope we do not lose RMC, but I cannot halt the forward and inexorable
march of demographics.

Tom Baker

Chuck Cover

List,

I am not privy to the financial dealings of RMC, however, as a past author of a number of articles in the magazine, I can attest to the fact that RMC is slow to unresponsive in paying authors. I have discussed this with several others who have had their articles published, so my experience is not an isolated occurrence. This is not a recent trend, but has been going on for many years.

That said, I think RMC provides very interesting articles, many great modeling articles, and is by far my favorite among the general model railroad monthly magazines. I don't even know why I still subscribe to Model Railroader, who just recycles old articles every few years. If RMC goes under, I will miss it.

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Larry Wolohon

I also know several others that have had articles published in RMC & they are certainly in no hurry to pay them. It would seem to me that this would cause authors to submit their articles to some other publication & the number of articles that RMC would receive to put in their magazines would diminish.

But what do I know, fact is stranger than fiction.

However my favorite magazines are Classic Trains, O Scale Trains & publications from railroad historical societies such as the Great Northern Historical Society & the Union Pacific Historical Society.

Larry Wolohon

I am not privy to the financial dealings of RMC, however, as a past
author of a number of articles in the magazine, I can attest to the
fact that RMC is slow to unresponsive in paying authors. I have
discussed this with several others who have had their articles
published, so my experience is not an isolated occurrence. This is
not a recent trend, but has been going on for many years.

That said, I think RMC provides very interesting articles, many great
modeling articles, and is by far my favorite among the general model
railroad monthly magazines. I don't even know why I still subscribe
to Model Railroader, who just recycles old articles every few
years. If RMC goes under, I will miss it.

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

asychis@...

I think Tim has the best take on this.

There is so much information available today it is overwhelming.  I find it difficult to stay up with all the information, but I'd rather have that than what we had in the 1970s where information really was exchanged at a monthly (magazines) or quarterly (historical societies) rate unless you were talking on the phone. Now we exchange information daily, hourly, or less.

Think of the old days when you mailed a modeling question to a magazine and waited a month or more to get an answer; if they answered at all.  Now I can post a question to multiple sites and possibly have an answer (or multiple answers) typically within 24 hours. Doesn't that kind of make the Q&A columns in today's MR, RMC, Trains, etc. seem a bit silly by comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I like RMC, Trains, Classic Trains, and MR, and find them useful.  But these magazines do represent a different era. Model Railroad News is kind of a hybrid.  I heard on a podcast yesterday (another form of information exchange) that Model Railroad Hobbyist e-zine has over 100,000 viewers per month!

Just to note, I consider RRCYC more along the lines of a book than a magazine.

Jerry Michels

Thomas Baker

Tim and Dave,

Well, you are certainly right about change in delivery of information media, but it does seem to me that fewer of us are out there in all scales. I know of three railroad historical societies--and there may be others I don't know of--that have gone to the E-zine format, a very good idea, I think. I also know of several societies that have experienced a drop in membership due to the passing of their members.

Then there is an interesting shift among occurring among the hi-rail crowd, a push toward greater prototype accuracy. I am no hi-railer, but I will have to admit that even the 3-rail manufacturers have produced some great looking prototype locomotives. Problem is these guys still are not at the level of accuracy we scalers want, and that is true especially with the freight cars that come off the line: They're better than those truncated things, the 6464-series box cars for example, but have a long way to go before the product would satisfy us even if we were in O gauge.

Another issue is that fewer and fewer scale modelers are building cars. My HO modeling friend surmises that many of those Sunshine kits sit on modelers shelves in the basement, attic, or garage and there they stay. He is probably right.
[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

---

Tom Baker wrote

Another issue is that fewer and fewer scale modelers are building cars.

I don't know if that's true or not. Some RPM'ers have never really been into
actual modeling, and others crank out stuff like there's no tomorrow. But on
Facebook and at train shows in the past few years I've run into many model
railroaders who are really into detailing RTR stuff -- and there are quite
a few people now making a living selling realistically weathered -- albeit
mostly modern -- freight cars. But outside of STMFC, MFCL, etc I rarely ever
run into someone who's really into freight cars like we are. There are 2 or
3 people at my train club (out of 50+ members) who I consider to be real
RPM'ers when it comes to actual -trains- and only 1 person (besides myself)
in the Free-Mo group I belong to who is really into RPM modeling. I need to
go to Naperville, Collinsville and Cocoa Beach to recharge the RPM batteries,
because I just don't encounter it locally.

There's a guy I see on Facebook -- Gary Christensen -- whose weathering and
modeling is so spectacular (rolling stock, diesels, track, structures) that
when you first see them you think it's a prototype photo. Yet as far as I
can tell, every single one of his train models is RTR (with added details).
And -- he's not even 30 years old yet!

Model Railroading isn't going downhill, IMO -- it's just becoming more and
more diverse, and perhaps more fragmented. There's 50x as much "product"
out there than when I was a kid -- Somebody is supporting it all!

Tim O'Connor

MDelvec952

I know we're all risking the gallows for talking about this, but since RMC is a magazine of choice for most of the RPM community because of its steady flow of quality STMFC content, I'd like to add a few thoughts. Ten years of my life was spent with Carstens as a stafffer and three times that long as a contributor, so I've got a lot of heart and soul in that place, and many personal relationships.

Rumors of its demise are exagerated. Times have been tough and there are reorganization plans in the works that could take on a few forms. Please be patient, but the next few weeks are significant. The appreciation of the venerable title of RMC is not lost in the reorganization.

Yes, there is more information flowing in far more outlets then ever in our field, and yes that in every area the print media is evolving in the world of electronic distribution. Wise business people are learning how to comingle print and digital media rather than to compete against digital.

I've presided over an NRHS Chapter for 20 years, and from that perch I'll also venture that the model railroad hobby is still growing. The Thomas generation is getting old enough to buy train sets and many of today's railroad buffs are getting some of their jollies on line with hours of model railroad videos on youtube, facebook and elsewhere. While the ranks of the traditional model railroad clubs are thinning through attrition, there are other forms that are popping up. One growing area is the Train Sim crowd, building pikes and creating equipment in MicroSoft Train Simulator. A couple of our members are quietly recreating long-lost and abandoned railroads full size with actual scenery and grades, and designing proper equipment for that territory and swapping files.

Any future venture of any kind in our field is going to need a digital presence. While I wouldn't say our Chapter has the best web site in the field, I do keep up a good facebook presence and through that we've raised more than $40k in contributions and grants for restoration projects, a great amount of excitement that gets the computer crowd trackside when something unusual comes through, and even the young kids (14 and up) are getting out to scrape paint and learn about working on the real stuff, and riding the caboose, bunny and Santa Trains. Our members are building a three-rail, two-level pike in our Lackawanna baggage car, and a couple of the youngins are helping with that. Granted, North Jersey is the mostly densely populated part of America.  But while the kids are coming out and watching trains and looking at model railroad videos on their smart phones, I'm not sure the NRHS Chapters and traditional model railroad clubs are going to survive as the dues go up to keep up with rising rents and insurance costs. The NRHS will be bankrupt in two years if it doesn't make some radical changes soon.  In our area the larger private model railroads all need operators, and I'd guess that more modelers are operating those than at model railroad clubs. Since those are not open to the public, it requires a certain amount of social interaction to be invited. On a personal side, many of the resin kits I've built are running on private railroads. I don't expect to build my own railroad until the Railroad Retirement Board sends along my "cash for clunkers."

The hobby is evolving. Without getting into why RMC is reorganizing or what the employees are going through, it does look like the magazine and its philosophy on content will continue.

              ....Mike Del Vecchio

> [...]

> of railroad and modeling information that we live in, will we really feel
> at all deprived without it? Some months I have no time to read even one
> article.
>
> It's not demographics -- it's information overload!
>
> Tim O'Connor
>

>> Although I had no idea of failed payments to authors and photographers,
>> I have wondered what is happening at RMC. First we lose Mainline Modeler
>> and now maybe RMC. I haven't figured out what exactly causes the muted
>> draw Model Railroader has for me, but its draw is definitely muted. The
>> series of articles by Ted Culotta and Clark Probst were really a big
>> draw for me, and I don't even model in HO, but in S. I saw the material
>> on S in the June issue a bit in the way of filler but still helpful. I
>> hope we do not lose RMC, but I cannot halt the forward and inexorable

---

Thomas Baker

I hope you gentlemen see it more clearly than I. If your analyses are correct, I will certainly applaud the progress.

Tom Baker
Tom Baker wrote

[...]

Armand Premo

My apologies to the group.The previous email was intended for my Grand daughter' A. Premo

> [...]

> of railroad and modeling information that we live in, will we really feel
> at all deprived without it? Some months I have no time to read even one
> article.
>
> It's not demographics -- it's information overload!
>
> Tim O'Connor
>

>> Although I had no idea of failed payments to authors and photographers,
>> I have wondered what is happening at RMC. First we lose Mainline Modeler
>> and now maybe RMC. I haven't figured out what exactly causes the muted
>> draw Model Railroader has for me, but its draw is definitely muted. The
>> series of articles by Ted Culotta and Clark Probst were really a big
>> draw for me, and I don't even model in HO, but in S. I saw the material
>> on S in the June issue a bit in the way of filler but still helpful. I
>> hope we do not lose RMC, but I cannot halt the forward and inexorable

---

No virus found in this message.

naptownprr

And I thought you were poking fun at the guys' discussion!

Quoting "'A Premo' armprem2@surfglobal.net [STMFC]" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>:

> [...]

> of railroad and modeling information that we live in, will we really feel
> at all deprived without it? Some months I have no time to read even one
> article.
>
> It's not demographics -- it's information overload!
>
> Tim O'Connor
>

>> Although I had no idea of failed payments to authors and photographers,
>> I have wondered what is happening at RMC. First we lose Mainline Modeler
>> and now maybe RMC. I haven't figured out what exactly causes the muted
>> draw Model Railroader has for me, but its draw is definitely muted. The
>> series of articles by Ted Culotta and Clark Probst were really a big
>> draw for me, and I don't even model in HO, but in S. I saw the material
>> on S in the June issue a bit in the way of filler but still helpful. I
>> hope we do not lose RMC, but I cannot halt the forward and inexorable

---
protection is active.

No virus found in this message.

Armand Premo

Gee,Never thought of that. :-) A.Premo

Quoting "'A Premo' armprem2@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>:

> My apologies to the group.The previous email was intended for my
> Grand daughter' A. Premo

Jared Harper

Overwhelming is the word.  I just turned 70 and probably have ten or twelve years left which will probably not all be good modeling years.  This year  I had two back surgeries after several years of sciatic-like pain in both legs.  The pain is mostly gone but I have had a lot of fatigue and lack of energy and  even with physical therapy  walking is a chore.  The surgeon assures me that as my nerves regenerate I will get back to normal.  We will see.  Several years ago when I was 64 or 65 I attended one of Jim Six's Great Lakes Model Railroad Symposia where Jim brought home the point that our generation is not getting any younger and model railroading time is running out.  The light bulb came on and I began to really devote a lot to time to modeling in order to get the model railroad finished, yes finished.  I got a lot done but then we had our house fire so for nearly a year the layout was covered and little work got done.  The surgery intervened and July was the first month since the surgery that I felt good enough to go to my workshop.  I am not and never have been Mr. Speedy Quick like Clark Propst but I try to work as fast as I can and get as much time in the shop as I can, but the lack of energy interferes;  when I sit or stand in one position for some time I still get leg and back pain.  Anyway, as Jerry says the amount of information available today is overwhelming.  There are print magazines, e-zines, blogs. e-mail lists, etc., etc. I used to refer to all  this data regularly.  Since my surgery I have realized I do not have time to read all that stuff that was coming across my computer screen or in the mail in the form of magazines.  I have cut way back on what I read.  Except in a few instances I have all the information I need to complete my Alma branch layout.  Maybe when I finally get it finished I will get back to the blogs, lists, etc.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA