Well you know it's time to stop modeling for the night when...

Brian Carlson

You  take a moment to look your NH GA-2 gondola over before weathering and just then realize, after multiple applications of decal setting solution over the course of a few day, that you managed to put the block NH herald upside done on one side. Of course I never noticed this OBVIOUS error when putting the decal in place originally nor during the repeated applications of setting solutions. Offending decal was removed with a light application of Scalecoat paint remover, which despite being light and quick removed most of the paint on the two panels. Car has also been washed and the two panels repainted black. Decaling will commence tomorrow with the N firmly above the H. You all may laugh now. I am going to bed.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

Mikebrock

Brian Carlson writes:

"...after multiple applications of decal setting solution over the course of a few day, that you managed to put the block NH herald upside done on one side."

Hmmm. Reminds me of the time I assembled several PFE reefers with the wrong ends on a car [ the numbers didn't match the number on the sides ]. Oh well. That reminded me of the time a fast moving van with a camera man sticking out the top was chasing 844 and train [ which I was on ]. The traffic came to a stop and the van did a quick 360 degree slide and...kept right on going in the other lane...didn't miss a beat. So, I didn't either. Splashed a bit of grimy brown [ Grimy Black with Railtie Brown added ] on tghe ends and started work on the next car.

Mike Brock

tyesac@...

Sorta like building a resin freight car in sub assemblies, and realizing the next day that the under frame is not pointing towards the "B" end.   done that!

Tom Casey 
You  take a moment to look your NH GA-2 gondola over before weathering and just then realize, after multiple applications of decal setting solution over the course of a few day, that you managed to put the block NH herald upside done on one side. Of course I never noticed this OBVIOUS error when putting the decal in place originally nor during the repeated applications of setting solutions. Offending decal was removed with a light application of Scalecoat paint remover, which despite being light and quick removed most of the paint on the two panels. Car has also been washed and the two panels repainted black. Decaling will commence tomorrow with the N firmly above the H. You all may laugh now. I am going to bed.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Sat, Aug 16, 2014 10:37 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Well you know it's time to stop modeling for the night when...

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Clark Propst

I’d might have left it that way. Painting mistakes happened on the real railroads too.

I might do as you did if I had another decal. But, how many sets come with extra emblems?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

riverman_vt@...

Cheer up Brian,

I had a similar error that was not noticed until one side of the car was decaled. Owing to the rudimentary instructions Steve Funaro provides for an otherwise nice kit I ended up with a number for a GA-3 that is also included in the decal set but is a dimensionally different series of gon. In looking through a New Haven book to check some other item on the car the mistake was noted and a similar process to yours begun but in a grit blast booth followed by repainting. The car has been complete for some months now and I do think it is a

very owrthwhile kit, Just wish Steve would put a little more work into his instructions so we all wouldn't have to conduct our own research on every F&C kit.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Bob Chapman

Brian Carlson writes:

"...after multiple applications of decal setting solution over the course of
a few day, that you managed to put the block NH herald upside done on one
side."

Brian:

Reminds me of the time Ted Luce, an excellent C&O modeler who wrote many articles for the C&OHS magazine several years ago, did an article on a C&O hopper model with "Oiho" decaled upside down. He didn't realize the car had the problem until one of us pointed it out after the article appeared. I have had to double-check my decaling of C&O models ever since.

Of course, over the years there have been photos of some notorious misspellings on various prototype cars well. A wood-sided PFE reefer lettered Pacific Fauit Express due to a siding board replacement, a ribbed Pennsy car with two three-letter sets transposed due to out-of-order stencils, etc. There weren't many of them, but they were out there. One more excuse for some freight car freaks on our layouts.    :)  

Regards,
Bob Chapman  

caboose9792@...

It would be even funnier if someone has a prototype photo showing that did happen and down right hysterical if you were modeling from a said photo and didn't notice you just made the car look like the photo without questioning the photo.

Mark Rickert

In a message dated 8/16/2014 10:37:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

Brian Carlson

I meant to add, this kit came with 4 NH blocks. The first went on fine. The second (first attempt on other side) disintegrated, in the water. I didn't have enough liquid decal film on the F&C decal. (Does everyone have to overcoat F&C decals with liquid deal film?) The third was the upside down oops, 4th one went on Sunday after lunch and it's doing fine.

There's a EL gon photo out there with Lackawannna.

Brian Carlson

Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2014 9:39 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Well you know it's time to stop modeling for the night when...

I’d might have left it that way. Painting mistakes happened on the real railroads too.

I might do as you did if I had another decal. But, how many sets come with extra emblems?

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Brian Carlson

Honestly with F&C I'm to the point where I usually skip the words and look at the pics. I'd be happy with more and better reproduced  photos and fewer words. How helpful is "Assemble the carbody" anyway. Don't get me wrong. I have dozens of his kits, to build and have more to bu, so they fill a need. sometimes it's a need I didn't know I had, LOL.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:49 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Well you know it's time to stop modeling for the night when...

Cheer up Brian,

I had a similar error that was not noticed until one side of the car was decaled. Owing to the rudimentary instructions Steve Funaro provides for an otherwise nice kit I ended up with a number for a GA-3 that is also included in the decal set but is a dimensionally different series of gon. In looking through a New Haven book to check some other item on the car the mistake was noted and a similar process to yours begun but in a grit blast booth followed by repainting. The car has been complete for some months now and I do think it is a

very owrthwhile kit, Just wish Steve would put a little more work into his instructions so we all wouldn't have to conduct our own research on every F&C kit.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Charles Peck

It happened on an L&N autorack car.  A side panel with the logo was removed and 
was reinstalled upside down.  Photos exist.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:36 AM, caboose9792@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

It would be even funnier if someone has a prototype photo showing that did happen and down right hysterical if you were modeling from a said photo and didn't notice you just made the car look like the photo without questioning the photo.

Mark Rickert

In a message dated 8/16/2014 10:37:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

CJ Riley

there is an oft published photo of a WM gon lettered "Western Maryndla". Wanted to do one but wrong era for me.

CJ Riley
Port Ludlow WA

albyrno

I re-motored a brass steam loco,put on track to test and it had a short.I removed boiler and it no longer had a short.After looking for a boiler to frame,headlight wiring,brake shoes contacting drivers or motor issue creating short,which I had spent hours looking for.I discovered that I had put the lead truck upside down when I reassembled loco the first time.
           Alan

paul.doggett2472@...

Hi All

Yes been there done that and got the T-shirt

Paul Doggett UK

Charlie Duckworth

Here's my latest 'time to stop'....
Was just finishing up my DSS&A DS boxcar.  Paint went down well, Westerfield decals with no silvering, I should have known a snake was in the wood pile.  I spent a hour or so using black, light brown, light gray and medium gray weathering the individual vertical boards.  Was pleased with how it was going and went out to the garage to give it a coat of Dullcote to seal the pencil colors.  During the process I decided to add a few drops of Floquil black to the Dullcote and overspray the roof.  Everything  was going well and I closed up the bottle of black and took the model downstairs to my work bench.  Thats when I spotted a large black finger print right on the door.  The Floquil black had leaked down the side of the bottle and on my fingers and when I picked up the model I made a perfect FBI finger print.
Quickly used what was close (nail polish remover for airbrush cleaning) and a handkerchief and blotted up the offending finger print and resprayed the door with my original color.  Back to the colored pencils and the door finally  looked like it did before the Floquil black came out.    

Charlie Duckworth

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <omahaduck@...> wrote :

"Was just finishing up my DSS&A DS boxcar...  Thats when I spotted a large black finger print right on the door.  The Floquil black had leaked down the side of the bottle and on my fingers and when I picked up the model I made a perfect FBI finger print."

Well, jeez, the prototype had that finger print! Seriously, one of the last of those cars still around was in a lumber yard in Marquette. It was one of the cars that had been painted yellow for "merchandise service", and was now being used to store... wait for it... charcoal. Needless to say, the door was pretty black. It's a shame that car wasn't saved.

Dennis Storzek

Marty McGuirk

At least you guys only have one real @#$k tale.

I could go on for days....

Marty McGuirk

Andy Harman

At 11:55 PM 8/16/2014 -0400, you wrote:
That reminded me of the time a fast moving van with a camera man sticking
out the top was chasing 844 and train [ which I was on ]. The traffic came
to a stop and the van did a quick 360 degree slide
I was riding a Southern steam special in the early 80s, and there in the chase line was a full size van with the side door wide open. On the roof was a guy with a video camera sitting in a lounge chair, held to the luggage rack with bungee cords.

Andy

Andy Harman

At 12:53 AM 8/18/2014 -0400, you wrote:
Honestly with F&C I'm to the point where I usually skip the words and look
at the pics. I'd be happy with more and better reproduced photos and
fewer words. How helpful is "Assemble the carbody" anyway. Don't get me
wrong. I have dozens of his kits, to build and have more to bu, so they
fill a need. sometimes it's a need I didn't know I had, LOL.
Gene Fusco set the standard for instructions. No, I don't expect every
manufacturer to do as well - but he proved it can be done. Tangent is a
close second.

Andy

Andy Harman

At 08:31 AM 8/18/2014 -0400, you wrote:
It happened on an L&N autorack car. Â A side panel with the logo was
removed and was reinstalled upside down. Â Photos exist.
This is a car I must model someday:
http://www.gp30.com/osborn/eastbound.jpg

Never found decals for this scheme though.

Andy