details (was Lights out at the "Pub")

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"On the other hand, when I operate on the RPI club, there are literally hundreds of
finely detailed, undamaged freight cars. So maybe there's a lesson here -- If you
operate with yahoos and bozos, you have to expect the consequences. But if your
operators are serious modelers and respectful of equipment, then detail to your
heart's content!"
That's because most of the damaged ones have been pulled off the layout.  I've got quite of few of them on my rip track.  New members don't become serious members overnight.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Repairing broken cars goes with the territory Ben. I'm just saying that the
bad order ratio at the RPI club is much less than the 50% ratio found at the
clubs I've belonged to. And seriousness is not a function of time. It's a
choice.

Tim O'Connor

"On the other hand, when I operate on the RPI club, there are literally hundreds of
finely detailed, undamaged freight cars. So maybe there's a lesson here -- If you
operate with yahoos and bozos, you have to expect the consequences. But if your
operators are serious modelers and respectful of equipment, then detail to your
heart's content!"

That's because most of the damaged ones have been pulled off the layout. I've got quite
of few of them on my rip track. New members don't become serious members overnight.

Ben Hom

A&Y Dave in MD

True, but some take time to appreciate that they have the choice. One modeler I knew in the 70's invited first time visitors to run a train on his layout. He didn't offer any guidance or announce it was a test, but he noted how you approached the offer and how you performed and after a circuit around the layout he would tell you if you looked like a passenger engineer, freight hogger, or simply a brakeman. That designation, he told you, would determine what jobs and what trust level you could earn. Some visitors took a while but worked their way to higher trust, others got high trust by their obvious care and willingness to run at scale speeds naturally, and some never got it, and eventually weren't invited back. Time allows for some growth, and still allows for basket cases to be "designated for assignment."

Since he was my best friend's neighbor, I appreciated his willingness to let this brakeman learn over time :-)

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"And seriousness is not a function of time. It's a choice."
True, but for a lot of the student members, it takes some time to make that choice, and education plays a huge role.

Ben Hom