O&W Hopper Rolling Characteristics

Mikebrock

Bob Chaparro writes:

"Some club respondents mentioned that lower percentages sometimes cause unintended car movements on seemingly “level’ yard tracks and sidings, which was a problem, of course."

I guess your club wouldn't be interested in acquiring the rather infamous O&W hopper still residing at Bruceford, WY. The grade on the coal car track at the coaling tower is about 8%. We used to place a tie next to the rear wheel to keep the car from rolling back down to the main but one day a track crew used the tie. The car didn't budge. Upon futher review it was discovered that the wheels had rusted to the rails.

Mike Brock

Bruce Smith

Mike,

Harriman, not Bruceford… unless the car has moved?

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Sep 9, 2014, at 11:01 AM, 'Mike Brock' brockm@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Bob Chaparro writes:

"Some club respondents mentioned that lower percentages sometimes cause
unintended car movements on seemingly “level’ yard tracks and sidings, which
was a problem, of course."

I guess your club wouldn't be interested in acquiring the rather infamous
O&W hopper still residing at Bruceford, WY. The grade on the coal car track
at the coaling tower is about 8%. We used to place a tie next to the rear
wheel to keep the car from rolling back down to the main but one day a track
crew used the tie. The car didn't budge. Upon futher review it was
discovered that the wheels had rusted to the rails.

Mike Brock

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Mike Brock" <brockm@...>

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   STMFC-digest@...
   STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Bill Schneider

Not likely….

Bill Schneider

Bob Chaparro writes:

[...]

Bruce Smith says:

"Harriman, not Bruceford� unless the car has <GASP> moved?"

Upon further review again, as far as can be determined, only the trucks remain at Harriman...rusted to the rails. The rest of the car is now residing at Bruceford on a flat car. As I understand it, the plan is to test the flat car to see if it satisfies the requirements of Bob Chaparro's club. In the event that it does not, I think the plan is to see if Armand Primo's Central Vermont, Rutland, CN or whatever he does up there will take it. Of course he'll have to provide trucks. We will include the coal load.

Mike Brock

Bill Schneider

Mike Brock commented: "We will include the coal load."

Which begs the question - Why? After all these years sitting under the
coaling tower did they finally decide that it was too good for those big,
black sooty things that you run... or try to? ;>)

Bill Schneider

Douglas Harding

Say it's not so! An icon of the south is to be moved, perhaps even removed
forever, from its sacred resting place. I guess those photos I took years
ago will become treasured memories, artifacts of a past visit, as I may
never again be able to duplicate the experience of seeing the O&W hopper, of
capturing the moment forever on the sensor of my camera. Where are the
historians? Where are the protestors? Where are the preservationists? Should
we call out the National Guard to protect this hallowed icon? How dare some
anonymous corporate executive break the hearts of the true railfan? You can
not ignore us. I say we all descend upon this small hamlet in the near
future to let our feelings be known. How's January sound for everyone? Mike
is good for the cookies.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Armand Premo

Sorry Mike,try as I might I have been unable to document an O&W hopper ever appearing on any of the three previously mentioned railroads.Now the flat car might be of some interest..Have you tried the LaSalle & Bureau County ?Armand Premo

"Harriman, not Bruceford� unless the car has <GASP> moved?"

Upon further review again, as far as can be determined, only the trucks
remain at Harriman...rusted to the rails. The rest of the car is now
residing at Bruceford on a flat car. As I understand it, the plan is to test
the flat car to see if it satisfies the requirements of Bob Chaparro's club.
In the event that it does not, I think the plan is to see if Armand Primo's
Central Vermont, Rutland, CN or whatever he does up there will take it. Of
course he'll have to provide trucks. We will include the coal load.

Mike Brock

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

midrly

Might have been that someone stole the brasses out of the trucks, too, Mike!

This was known to happen to stored cars in our STMFC days.  Train crews and/or carmen would have a look in the journal boxes before lifting stored cars.

Steve Lucas.

Mikebrock

Doug Harding writes:

"Say it's not so! An icon of the south is to be moved, perhaps even removed
forever, from its sacred resting place. I guess those photos I took years
ago will become treasured memories, artifacts of a past visit, as I may
never again be able to duplicate the experience of seeing the O&W hopper, of
capturing the moment forever on the sensor of my camera. Where are the
historians? Where are the protestors?"

Well, in fact, there was a protestor at Harriman yesterday afternoon. It seems that a bum has been living in the car for several years. He had burrowed into the coal pile and actually had a rather nice apartment in the car[ compared to others at Harriman, of course ]. His heating bill was $0 per year...he would simply burn part of his apartment when it got cold [ like 40 below ]. In fact, three federal officials dropped by to see if his technique could be used in Wash DC. Anyhow, he claimed that the UP and O&W were trying to tear down his home and sued both RRs. Alas, no one could determine where the O&W is so the claim was thrown out. Rumors are that the Central Vermont was also listed [ I mean...why not? ] but no one knew where Vermont was either.

"Should we call out the National Guard to protect this hallowed icon?"

Well, the guard had been called out for some time trying to find UP frt conductor Fraley who apparently had painted the original O&W car black with N&W lettering. Sans wheels of course. I mean, everyone knows that no N&W hopper made it to Sherman Hill.

"I say we all descend upon this small hamlet in the near
future to let our feelings be known. How's January sound for everyone?"

Sounds like a plan. Rumor also indicates that Fraley was frozen solid back in '49, was thawed out in Cheyenne in April and is helping out with the Big Boy 4014 restoration. We plan to have him hand out the free cookies [ if you are lucky enough to get one...hint: stay near me at cookie time ] at Prototype Rails.

Mike Brock...very happy to have a key to Moderate Jail