Topics

Simulating "Polished" Steel Surfaces

webotkin

Hi,

I seem to recall some discussions and/or articles about simulating “polished” steel surfaces, such as you might see on a hopper slope sheet or a bulldozer blade.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

William E. Botkin

Centennial, CO

Benjamin Hom

William Botkin asked:
"I seem to recall some discussions and/or articles about simulating “polished” steel surfaces, such as you might see on a hopper slope sheet or a bulldozer blade. Any suggestions would be appreciated."

Discussions on the list were pretty extensive - did you do a search of the group archives?

Ben Hom

al_brown03

Lately I've weathered a few hopper car interiors by Eric Hansmann's method. Google "weathering hopper interiors", either within the group or generally: he's described it on his blog, in much more detail than I can here. Using a combination of acrylics, the idea is to simulate metal "polished clean" of paint but with a little fresh rust. Reading the blog will suggest variants, both to make the metal more polished and to make it rustier.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Michael Watnoski

Hi William,

    Try a graphite pencil over a dark and varied rust color.

Michael