GN Safety Film - 1941 - 20+ minutes of STMFC

devansprr

Gentlemen,

An interesting YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpayZ2JqlU

Lots of steam era freight cars, including FGEX 45014 - an ex-PRR R7 with a reweigh date of 3-41 at the 12:47 mark. Two are shown, only one's reporting marks are visible. I thought the old R7's were gone by WWII - obviously I was wrong.

Lots of other cars. Filmed entirely on GN property, makes a good case for the N-G distribution model. Many of the cars are foreign, especially the box cars. Lots of PRR X29's ;-)

Dave Evans

Bruce Smith

Dave,

Neat video!  Yes, a few R7 reefers survived at this "late" date for these cars.  We talked a bit about this on PRRPro a couple years back as well.  Most of them had been transferred to NX service, so it is doubly interesting to see 2 in FGEX lettering circa mid 1941 (not quite WWII yet

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Temporarily in Amsterdam

Lots of steam era freight cars, including FGEX 45014 - an ex-PRR R7 with a reweigh date of 3-41 at the 12:47 mark. Two are shown, only one's reporting marks are visible. I thought the old R7's were gone by WWII - obviously I was wrong.

Lots of other cars. Filmed entirely on GN property, makes a good case for the N-G distribution model. Many of the cars are foreign, especially the box cars. Lots of PRR X29's ;-)

Dave Evans

Bill Welch

A couple of comments. In one of the scenes there are two ex-PRR R7 FGE reefers, one of which has only one grab iron on the left end of the side. This was not uncommon on these particular cars and of the four models I am building of them, one has a single long grab iron. I cannot remember when the rule went into effect but it was well before the date of this film. While on the subject, I have several photos of Columbus & Greenville SS boxcars post WWII, one in 1957, and none of the cars in the photos have the second grab. A nice detail to keep in mind when modeling.

Second, I think the creator of the model trains used to depict the train wreck towards the end of the film clearly loved freight cars as I saw some very nice models. He was one of us!

Bill welch

Rod Miller

On 9/30/14, 3:55 PM, fgexbill@tampabay.rr.com [STMFC] wrote:
[snip]

Second, I think the creator of the model trains used to depict the train
wreck towards the end of the film clearly loved freight cars as I saw some
very nice models. He was one of us!

Bill welch
It took a double take on the first scene to conclude it was
a model. The scenery was well done and for me the lighting
gave it away. I suspect the models are O scale as many of
them reminded me of models in the Scale Craft catalog that
I dreamed with when a kid.
--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman