From:"srrfan1401@... [STMFC]"
Date:Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Subject:[STMFC] Santa Fe rebuilt boxcar roof color

I need help here.  I know not much about Santa Fe painting schemes for freight cars.  It is my understanding that the boxcar roofs were a black color.  And that the roof walks were roughly the same color as the car body itself.  Again, I don't know but am getting ready to paint my last car for Cocoa the ATSF Bx-28 and I would love to show up and not have everybody pointing at the car and chuckling, ...they usually do that anyway! ;>)

Thanks in advance

Fenton Wells

Benjamin Hom

Fenton Wells asked:
"I need help here. I know not much about Santa Fe painting schemes for freight cars. It is my understanding that the boxcar roofs were a black color. And that the roof walks were roughly the same color as the car body itself. Again, I don't know but am getting ready to paint my last car for Cocoa the ATSF Bx-28 and I would love to show up and not have everybody pointing at the car and chuckling, ...they usually do that anyway! ;>)"

It would help if you told us what time frame.

Ben Hom

O Fenton Wells

Good catch, November 1952 would be close.
Thanks
Fenton Wells

Fenton Wells asked:

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

tjcataldo

SANTA FE PAINTING BOOK YOU CAN BUY GO TO THE WEB SITE STORE

http://www.atsfrr.com/index.shtml

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 9:15 AM, srrfan1401@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I need help here.  I know not much about Santa Fe painting schemes for freight cars.  It is my understanding that the boxcar roofs were a black color.  And that the roof walks were roughly the same color as the car body itself.  Again, I don't know but am getting ready to paint my last car for Cocoa the ATSF Bx-28 and I would love to show up and not have everybody pointing at the car and chuckling, ...they usually do that anyway! ;>)

Thanks in advance

Fenton Wells

--
Thomas  j Cataldo

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

Isn’t is bit extreme to buy a book so you can get the roof color right on one or two freight cars? Why not just answer his question? I would if I know the answer.

Nelson Moyer

<mailto:STMFC@...> > wrote:

I need help here. I know not much about Santa Fe painting schemes
for freight cars. It is my understanding that the boxcar roofs were
a black color. And that the roof walks were roughly the same color
as the car body itself. Again, I don't know but am getting ready to
paint my last car for Cocoa the ATSF Bx-28 and I would love to show
up and not have everybody pointing at the car and chuckling, ...they
usually do that anyway! ;>)

Thanks in advance

Fenton Wells

--

Thomas j Cataldo

charles slater

Fenton you have it correct. The roofs were coated with black car cement with dark red granules sprinkled into the wet cement for better traction, the roof walks were the same color as the sides and ends.
Charlie Slater
Bakersfield, Ca.

To: STMFC@...
From: STMFC@...
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:03:15 -0400

Í agree!

Quoting "'Nelson Moyer' ku0a@... [STMFC]" :

> Isn?t is bit extreme to buy a book so you can get the roof color
> right on one or two freight cars? Why not just answer his question? I
> would if I know the answer.
>

> Nelson Moyer

O Fenton Wells

Gentlemen, thanks to all who replied I appreciate your information and I will proceed.  And yes the thought of purchasing a $60 book for this information never entered my mind but thanks for the thought anyway.
This is a special rebuild that we are doing in honor or Richard Hendrickson.

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

Brad Andonian

Fenton,

Please email me off list; I have the book and will gladly offer guidance when I get home tonight!

Thank you
Brad Andonian
Seattle
cereshill@...

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:26 AM, "O Fenton Wells srrfan1401@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Gentlemen, thanks to all who replied I appreciate your information and I will proceed.  And yes the thought of purchasing a $60 book for this information never entered my mind but thanks for the thought anyway.
This is a special rebuild that we are doing in honor or Richard Hendrickson.

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Allan Smith

The Bx-28 boxcars were originally rebuilt in 1937-38, premap. If your car has been shopped between 1937 - 1953 it would have had the map added. Also it presumably would have been repainted when the map was added, also reweighted. At that time ATSF was spraying the roofs with antiskid black tar paint. So the car if soon after a repaint would have a black roof with the running boards Mineral Brown. If the car was a few years from the repaint date, the black would be starting to wear thin and the bare metal would be showing, also the running board would loose its paint and look like weathered wood. Hope that helps some.
Al Smith

genegreen1942@...

If I don't comment here it will blow my teeth out - metaphorically speaking, of course.

I bit the bullet, bought the book, and I'm glad I did.  It contains LOTS of great information.  Well worth the cost.  Yes, I understand that we all have budgets within which we must live.  While it may not be illegal, I find it ethically lacking when one persons buys a book and then shares the contents freely with others.  Succeeding books will not be forthcoming if the author's material shared in such a manner - laying aside for the moment the issue of copyright.

And because Richard Hendrickson is not here to say it, I will.  Gentleman, the correct term is running board.

Gene Green
Getting off his soap box now.

O Fenton Wells

I'm modeling November 1952 but I'm thinking the car was repainted in the mid to late 1940's.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:28 PM, George Hollwedel proto.nscale@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Time frame?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"srrfan1401@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
Date:Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Gene Green wrote:
"While it may not be illegal, I find it ethically lacking when one persons buys a book and then shares the contents freely with others."

So by your reasoning, all lending libraries are illegitimate.

Ben Hom

A&Y Dave in MD

While I agree in general with giving an author appropriate rewards for intellectual property, this appears to be the wrong situation in which to vent. A man asks about the roof color for one specific car to finish a model in honor of the man who led the way in sharing information and providing data to ensure more accurate modeling. The expectation is that man should spend $60 to get the answer to the color of a roof?  He's not asking someone to scan the photo and send it to him.

I am a big advocate of historical societies getting a return on their investments in preservation. I'm a fan of buying books to give something to authors who put in time and money and effort to preserve history. I donate to worthy preservation efforts and pay memberships to historical societies. But if someone asked me the color of the cab roof for a Southern Railway PS2 class Pacific or the color of a Southern DS auto box car in 1937, I'm not going to tell him to buy a $30 Southern Railway in Color Volume 2, even if the author is an acquaintance who put a lot of effort and equity into that book. I know that author would willingly share that info with some modeler trying to do an accurate model.

Copyright still allows fair use. It is not so much that content is shared, but how and how much content is shared, as well as for what purpose. Demand a dollar for every scrap of information and watch interest in accurate modeling disappear.

Moderation in all things.

Getting down from my iPad and heading to solitary confinement in the STMFC cooler.

David Bott

On Oct 21, 2014, at 4:26 PM, "genegreen1942@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

If I don't comment here it will blow my teeth out - metaphorically speaking, of course.

I bit the bullet, bought the book, and I'm glad I did.  It contains LOTS of great information.  Well worth the cost.  Yes, I understand that we all have budgets within which we must live.  While it may not be illegal, I find it ethically lacking when one persons buys a book and then shares the contents freely with others.  Succeeding books will not be forthcoming if the author's material shared in such a manner - laying aside for the moment the issue of copyright.

And because Richard Hendrickson is not here to say it, I will.  Gentleman, the correct term is running board.

Gene Green
Getting off his soap box now.

David Sieber

Fenton, et al,
     As a reminder, John Barry posted a very good discussion of painting and lettering Santa Fe rebuilds on his blog at http://northbaylines.blogspot.com/2014/06/colors-markings-of-2014-shake-take.html.  Additionally, there were a number of other posts to the SnT list and other forums on this subject to make it easier for modelers who do not model the Santa Fe to add a correctly painted and lettered ATSF rebuilt boxcar to their interchange fleet.  Enjoy the build!
HTH, Dave Sieber, Reno NV

To: STMFC@...
From: STMFC@...
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:15:10 -0700

I need help here.  I know not much about Santa Fe painting schemes for freight cars.  It is my understanding that the boxcar roofs were a black color.  And that the roof walks were roughly the same color as the car body itself.  Again, I don't know but am getting ready to paint my last car for Cocoa the ATSF Bx-28 and I would love to show up and not have everybody pointing at the car and chuckling, ...they usually do that anyway! ;>)

Thanks in advance
Fenton Wells

Greg Martin

Fenton, David and all,

My car is now finished as I mentioned and I shot the photos over the weekend between clouds. I have sent one member a teaser shot this evening and I can send anyone an embedded photo of the car's roof and running board.  However; it is not weathered as yet.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 10/21/2014 7:33:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

Fenton, et al,
     As a reminder, John Barry posted a very good discussion of painting and lettering Santa Fe rebuilds on his blog at http://northbaylines.blogspot.com/2014/06/colors-markings-of-2014-shake-take.html.  Additionally, there were a number of other posts to the SnT list and other forums on this subject to make it easier for modelers who do not model the Santa Fe to add a correctly painted and lettered ATSF rebuilt boxcar to their interchange fleet.  Enjoy the build!
HTH, Dave Sieber, Reno NV
.

Benjamin Scanlon

"While it may not be illegal, I find it ethically lacking when one persons buys a book and then shares the contents freely with others."

Isn't this one of those literalist approaches that achieves exactly the opposite of what was intended? It is one shared by a number of people but if followed would mean that this section of the hobby will become the province of the old and the mean.

Not to mention, it's totally antithetical to the purpose of this group, since the proportion of  any body of knowledge on any defined era inevitably comes more and more from second-hand sources, due to the march of time.

He who holds such  a view should withdraw from well, all groups, since, by his own definition, just by being here and reading posts, he is surely putting himself in the position of being a 'receiver of stolen goods'  ... information unwittingly absorbed can't be 'un-known'.

I see this view as one factor causing American outline modelling to decline overseas. The place it occupied is being ceded to other kids who take a more relaxed approach to sharing their toys.

Because of assistance here, I embarked on my collection of RPCYCs, now at five and counting ... not to mention other freight and passenger equipment  books. Once you've had three or four assists with information from a particular book, you do get to thinking 'well, maybe I need to buy that one.'  I'd say it was the smartest kind of marketing.

Benjamin Scanlon
Tottenham Hale, England

Mike Smeltzer

Greg, don't be shy, post a shot in the photo section...

Mike Smeltzer

[...]

I need to edit and crop them first. I somehow picked up a light flare on a couple as well.

Greg

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 10/22/2014 3:19:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

Greg, don't be shy, post a shot in the photo section...

Mike Seltzer