Semi Scale Wheelsets

rob.mclear3@...

Hi to all and apologies for the cross postings but I am wondering those of you who use semi scale wheelsets whose do you use.  I would be interested to know which ones are considered to be better and if you can purchase them in bulk.   Any help would be appreciated as I am changing over to these for the sake of appearance and would like to buy in bulk I have about 200 freight cars to change over.

Thanks

Rob McLear

Australia.

Bernd Schroeder

I use almost exclusively Reboxx which are not available in bulk. Most lengths/sizes are available at MB Klein which is a great advantage for those of us here outside the US.

My past experiences with wheelsets by IM or Exactrail (in bulk) were not as good.

Bernd Schroeder
Adelsdorf, Germany
--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit GMX Mail gesendet.

"rob.mclear3@... [STMFC]" schrieb:

Hi to all and apologies for the cross postings but I am wondering those of you who use semi scale wheelsets whose do you use.  I would be interested to know which ones are considered to be better and if you can purchase them in bulk.   Any help would be appreciated as I am changing over to these for the sake of appearance and would like to buy in bulk I have about 200 freight cars to change over.

Thanks

Rob McLear

Australia.

Bruce Smith

Rob,

It depends... I'm still working through a large bag of wheels that I purchased from Branchline a few years ago.  In addition, I use reboxx wheels for any situation where an odd axle length is needed.  I keep a stock of a few lengths that I commonly use (mostly for Bowser) and since I have their sizing kit, I can order whatever I don't have, secure in the knowledge that it will fit.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Hi to all and apologies for the cross postings but I am wondering those of you who use semi scale wheelsets whose do you use.  I would be interested to know which ones are considered to be better and if you can purchase them in bulk.   Any help would be appreciated as I am changing over to these for the sake of appearance and would like to buy in bulk I have about 200 freight cars to change over.

Thanks

Rob McLear

Australia.

Brian Carlson

And to add to the other post buying in bulk isn't a great approach unless you have the same truck on every car. Axle lengths vary, sometimes on the same truck, so I also use Reboxx almost exclusively and keep a plastic chest of drawers stocked with a variety of the most common axle lengths based on the trucks I've used. There used to be a chart on the reboxx site giving suggested axle lengths.   I have bought some bulk sets from IM and Branchline back in the day when I had a bunch of their cars to build, but I find the reboxx sets and the reboxx tool better.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

Hi to all and apologies for the cross postings but I am wondering those of you who use semi scale wheelsets whose do you use.  I would be interested to know which ones are considered to be better and if you can purchase them in bulk.   Any help would be appreciated as I am changing over to these for the sake of appearance and would like to buy in bulk I have about 200 freight cars to change over.

Thanks

Rob McLear

Benjamin Hom

Brian Carlson wrote:
"There used to be a chart on the reboxx site giving suggested axle lengths."

Still there.
http://www.reboxx.com/wheelsets.htm

Ben Hom

Tangent Scale Models

Rob,

Tangent Scale Models sells our CNC-machined semi-scale wheelsets both in 12 packs like Reboxx and 100 packs.  They are optimized for our trucks but because we are a bit shorter in length than other brands our wheels are useful across brands.  Size and other info is here by clicking on each icon on this page:  https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/wheelsets/

Best of luck,

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Andy Sperandeo

Hi Rob,

I'm sure I have a few of each kind available, including ExactRail, InterMountain, Reboxx (I think these latter two are the same, except for the varied axle lengths Reboxx offers), Tahoe (probably IM/Reboxx), and Tangent. I like the Tangent wheel faces for their realistic contours, but I try to use whatever gives a good fit in the trucks, and with Tahoe trucks I buy the semi-scale versions and don't change them. I always check whatever wheelsets I use with the NMRA gauge, too, and I'd discard anything that doesn't match (happens extremely rarely).

My advice is to make sure you paint the replacement wheelsets before installing them on your cars. Bright shiny metal wheel faces don't look realistic no matter what the tire width.

So long,

Andy

Marty McGuirk

Wonder what the issue was with the Intermountain wheelsets vs. Reboxx since the wheels are the same. (Reboxx wheelsets are Intermountain wheels on varied axle lengths).

I've heard one of the issues that sometimes comes up with the bulk packed wheelsets is the way they're packed (in a bag in a box) might result in some of the needlepoint ends of the axles getting bent. I don't think this is much of an issue - especially when you realize the axles are moved around the factory in big bins before the wheels are pressed onto the axles and the wheelsets packaged, so if the needlepoint ends happen to be bent it's likely a result of the manufacturing process and not shipping/packaging.

Marty McGuirk

golden1014

Hi Rob,

I use semi-scale wheelsets exclusively, mostly Reboxx.  I began to use them for appearance, but learned quickly that the different axle lengths solve freight car alignment.

Maybe I can explain it better this way: About 12-13 years ago I looked down a line of my freight cars on straight track and noticed that they did not line up longitudinally.  Some cars leaned to the left, some to the right, etc. After tuning kingpins and adjusting couplers the problem still existed.  I discovered that the axles were not tight against the inside of the truck "journal".  The result of the loose-fitting, "free rolling" axles was that the entire body of the car was swaying left and right depening on where the axle was in the truck.

The solution was Reboxx wheelsets with axles that had close tolerances inside the truck.  I pick the correct axle length for hte brand of truck, keep the kingpins as tight as possible, and scrutinize coupler alignment. That helps to ensure your cars line up longitundinally and your scale brakemen have running boards that line up...per the prototype.

I supose this isn't much of a problem for plastic RTR models, but for Sunshine cars, for example, that aren't machined perfectly I found the addition of Reboxx wheelsets solved the problem.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

Tony Thompson

     I can offer two perspectives on this. First, my own: I use Reboxx almost always, and find the varied axle lengths are essential if you encounter a wide range of trucks. Second, Richard Hendrickson was a great believer in Northwest Short Line wheelsets (available in bulk) and felt that any recalcitrant truck could be brought to the right size with that tool that cuts inside the journal box. Certainly the NWSL wheelsets are beautifully made.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Anspach Denny <danspachmd@...>

If appearance alone is the major goal, about all of the semi scale wheels currently available will do.

If optimal operation is also desired, then one has to pay close attention to nominal axle length as well.  Exact Rail: 1.004”; IM 1.008-12”(newer), 1.013-15 (older); Kadee 1.015”; NWSL 1.015”; Branchline 1.018”. Reboxx: 0.945-1.065”(?).

Too short axles may in particular trucks maximize rollabiltiy,  but also at the same time significantly lower car height because the axle ends are riding in the widest part of the conical bearing hole, and in addition allow the car not be commonly off-center one way or another so that coupling difficulties ensue with semi-scale couplers (with their narrower gathering faces).  Depending on the trucks (or even two trucks from the same manufacturer), often testing with different axle lengths is the only way to determine the optimal middle ground.

The lovely NWSL wheels apparently are true code 88 with flanges narrowed as well, while most if not all others are simply 110 wheels with narrowed treads.  The axle ends of both the NWSL and Kadee have wider  cones, which in my hands has significantly reduced their abilities to roll optimally in the majority of trucks that I have tested.  I also do love the appearance of the Kadees, however.

My standard is Reboxx, and from experience (and if I can recall correctly from Reboxx owner JP Barger)  if the average critical modeler keeps on hand all sizes from 0.095” to 1.030” (0.05” intervals), you would be covered most of the time.  The big requirements are 1.015”, 1.020”, and 1.025”, and in this regard where I might keep one pack of most sizes, I will keep  three packs of 1.015” and 1.020” , while two of 1.010” and 1.025”.

I also always purchase double insulated wheel sets when and if I can.

The Branchllne wheel sets were and are a good stand-in for 1.020”, but can and will be found to commonly be pretty tight on a lot of trucks (including their own).

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

rob.mclear3@...

Thanks Andy

At the moment and previously what I have done is to use Intermountain metal wheelsets, but with the number of tank, GS gondolas including Caswells and Hoppers that I have at the moment and plan to have I would prefer a semi scale wheel.   All of the wheels that I have on the cars at the moment were painted before they were put into the trucks and I plan to do the same with the semi scale stuff.

My plan was to go with Intermountain as I have a lot of their cars, 60 ATSF reefers so far not to mention boxcars, Caswells and ATSF Stockcars. I also have a lot of other brands as well particularly Proto 2000 and quite a few resin cars.   I thought that I would change over freight first and then start on the passenger equipment.   It looks like I might give Tangent a go and get an assortment of Reboxx wheels as well as I have a few different brands of trucks on the resin cars following suggestions from Richard Hendrickson as to the correct trucks on numbers of cars.

My plan is also to go to Sergent couplers as well as I really like the scale look and operating procedure for these so thick wheel treads kinda look out of place with them.

Rob McLear.