Georgia rr usra box car color

Brad Andonian

Fellas,

Can anyone clarify the time period these were painted silver and black? Intermountain shows a model with black ends and doors. Is this correct?

Many thanks,
Brad Andonian

Bruce Smith

Brad, Folks,

First, I’ll make my occasional plea for a gender neutral salutation. While the vast majority of folks on this list, such as myself, suffer from testosterone poisoning, not everyone in modeling railroading is male, and it seems counter productive to our desires to grow the hobby to assume that everyone is,

As for the IM car… These cars have been discussed MANY times on this list. The paint scheme is basically correct.  It was applied when these cars were rebuilt in the 1930s and lasted into the 1950s.  These are assembled Tichy models and the roof is not correct.  They either had a radial roof or a home built welded roof.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Nov 21, 2014, at 9:00 AM, Brad Andonian cereshill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Fellas,

Can anyone clarify the time period these were painted silver and black? Intermountain shows a model with black ends and doors. Is this correct?

Many thanks,
Brad Andonian

Brad Andonian

Bruce et al,

I appreciate your helpful and quick response to my inquiry.    I had not noticed many female commenters---although it would be welcome to hear from some!    I must admit I am not handy with Yahoo's search of the group archives as I find their present set up cumbersome and unwieldy [although I reside in the tech hot bed of the NW--I alas, am challenged in that department].    Instead I must impose on able minded folks like yourself to allay my concerns and queries.    My most sincere apologies if this has been addressed.

Until I post again.....   Happy Thanksgiving!
Brad Andonian
Seattle

On Friday, November 21, 2014 7:33 AM, "'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC]" wrote:

[...]

No problems!  I forgot to add that Ted Culotta (Speedwitch) has done a round roof kit for these cars, although I do not know if that remains available.  In addition, one of the discussions centered on the fact that these cars are fairly distinctive and that, on average, you need at least one distinctive car per mainline train <G>.  A number of us have built the Tichy kits and have modified the Tichy roof by shaving off the seams and scribing or using decals for the weld joints.  The Tichy kit also needs rivets on the sides of the ends, now easily done with Archer rivets.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Friday, November 21, 2014 7:33 AM, "'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

benjamin

I purchased a Speedwitch Media Georgia Railroad kit in the last six months direct from them.  It does come with the curved roof and black decals, but most of the pictures in his information indicate the welded or flat roof after rebuild.  Is there any photos available with the curved roof and the silver/black paint scheme that I could view on line to get a valid car number and the correct paint scheme?  Some of Teds pictures with the silver have the area under the side ladders painted black but again no curved roof.

Thanks:

Ben Heinley Denver Colorado

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Ben,

There is a photo of 19755 in silver/grey paint on page 27 of Henry Maywald's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS v.7. This car appears to have a radial roof, but is equipped with roof hatches.

A 19682 in FCR with a peaked roof is on page 39 of John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS v.1. Whether the roof is original or a replacement can't be determined (by myself, at least) from the photo, but the peak can be seen.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 11/21/14 8:39 PM, Ben Heinley bheinley@... [STMFC] wrote:

I purchased a Speedwitch Media Georgia Railroad kit in the last six months direct from them.  It does come with the curved roof and black decals, but most of the pictures in his information indicate the welded or flat roof after rebuild.  Is there any photos available with the curved roof and the silver/black paint scheme that I could view on line to get a valid car number and the correct paint scheme?  Some of Teds pictures with the silver have the area under the side ladders painted black but again no curved roof.

Thanks:

Ben Heinley Denver Colorado

Clark Propst

Isn’t there another silver and black car with evenly spaced heavy, maybe square tubing, ribs?
Anyone know the story on those cars?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Clark and Friends,

Yes, Georgia Railroad 29399 shown on page 39 of Henderson's CFC v. 1. According to the cutline, these were built in 1924 and were in series 29300-29449. According to an article by Pat Wilder in RPC 18, these were AAR XM-1 cars built in 1924 by Tennessee Coal & Iron Co. 128 were rebuilt with new steel bodies (obviously retaining their 7/8 ends) between 1949 and 1957. According to my 1958 ORER, there were 63 in series 29300-29449, and also 63  in series 39300-39449. 16 cars were not rebuilt, but were renumbered to 49300-49449 circa 1951 with capacity reduced to 40 tons. These were off the roster or rebuilt/renumbered by 1958. They might be 17000-17096, with just 7 cars left in 1958 (the dimensions are about right, as is capacity). There is one photo of an unrebuilt 19428 on RPC page 42. I have no other information to offer.

According to a note under a photo of rebuilt Georgia USRA boxcar 19712 in an undated page from MODEL RAILROADING magazine in my files, the car was rebuilt in 1941. Richard Hendrickson wrote an article in MODEL RAILROADING (also undated, since I only have those pages, not the whole magazine; sorry) where he rosters all the USRA SS boxcars. In his notes he says Georgia 19000-19299 were rebuilt in 1941 with steel sides, Hutchins roofs, and corrugated doors. He doesn't mention the rebuilt number series, but my 1958 ORER lists series 19500-19799 with 271 cars which matches many of the rebuilt cars in photos.

Whew!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 11/22/14 9:25 AM, cepropst@q.com [STMFC] wrote:

Isn’t there another silver and black car with evenly spaced heavy, maybe square tubing, ribs?
Anyone know the story on those cars?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

genegreen1942@...

This seemed somewhat germane.

The Central of Georgia has ordered 500 50-ft, 9-ft-door box cars from Pullman-Standard, for anticipated delivery in March 1956, at an estimated cost of nearly $3.5 million. The cars will be painted with the aluminum oval design, on a black background, developed for the 500 box cars which the CofG purchased from Pullman last year.  Copied from the August 8, 1955, RAILWAY AGE, page 12.

Gene Green

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks, Gene,

Were these 1000 cars the extent of the aluminum oval paint scheme?

I have also read that this scheme only appeared on 50’ cars.  Is the correct?

Schuyler

Newton Highlands MA

Gene Green wrote:

This seemed somewhat germane.

The Central of Georgia has ordered 500 50-ft, 9-ft-door box cars from Pullman-Standard, for anticipated delivery in March 1956, at an estimated cost of nearly $3.5 million. The cars will be painted with the aluminum oval design, on a black background, developed for the 500 box cars which the CofG purchased from Pullman last year.  Copied from the August 8, 1955, RAILWAY AGE, page 12.

Gene Green

Benjamin Hom

Gene Green wrote:

"This seemed somewhat germane.

'The Central of Georgia has ordered 500 50-ft, 9-ft-door box cars from Pullman-Standard, for anticipated delivery in March 1956, at an estimated cost of nearly $3.5 million. The cars will be painted with the aluminum oval design, on a black background, developed for the 500 box cars which the CofG purchased from Pullman last year.' Copied from the August 8, 1955, RAILWAY AGE, page 12."

Not really:
1. Georgia Railroad =/= Central of Georgia
2. GA RR USRA SS rebuilds =/= CofGa 50 ft PS-1

Unfortunately, this only muddies the water and adds to the confusion.

Ben Hom

Todd Horton

What does this have to do with the Ga RR cars?  The C of G got two separate lots of PS-1's with 9' doors in 54' and 56'

Todd Horton
Southeast Machine Tool Sales
3123 Maple Rd
Lindale Ga 30147
678-264-7448

The Central of Georgia has ordered 500 50-ft, 9-ft-door box cars from Pullman-Standard, for anticipated delivery in March 1956, at an estimated cost of nearly $3.5 million. The cars will be painted with the aluminum oval design, on a black background, developed for the 500 box cars which the CofG purchased from Pullman last year.  Copied from the August 8, 1955, RAILWAY AGE, page 12.

Gene Green

Todd Horton

The C of G only got the black and black and silver paint scheme on the 50" PS-1's.

Gene Green wrote:

This seemed somewhat germane.

The Central of Georgia has ordered 500 50-ft, 9-ft-door box cars from Pullman-Standard, for anticipated delivery in March 1956, at an estimated cost of nearly $3.5 million. The cars will be painted with the aluminum oval design, on a black background, developed for the 500 box cars which the CofG purchased from Pullman last year.  Copied from the August 8, 1955, RAILWAY AGE, page 12.

Gene Green

DBriel1782@...

The Central of Georgia Railway and the Georgia Railroad were two different companies. The CofG is now part of present day Norfolk Southern, while the GARR is now part of CSX.