Topics

Identity of very large FD built February 1941

spsalso

Over on the Kalmbach forum, there's discussion about the identity of a car in a photograph:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/opML58.jpg

I get the car having 4 6-wheel Buckeye trucks.  Capacity is 500,000 pounds.  And build date is February 1941.

Does anyone know what the reporting marks might be?  I can't find anything anywhere near the numbers above.

The big thingy is JUMBO.  It was designed to contain a non-critical detonation of a plutonium bomb.  And it weighed a lot.

Here is perhaps a better copy of the photo:

TR-017

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

I can begin by ruling out General Steel as nothing like it is in their application list. The 1940 annual RA order summary shows one promising car built by Greenville for Carnegie-Illinois Steel. My GSC list has CISX 500 O.O. 308. The light weight matches, so this is probably the same car. Railway Age suggests the car was built for ingot mould. That must have made a big ingot!

Eric N.

Over on the Kalmbach forum, there's discussion about the identity of a car in a photograph:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/opML58.jpg

I get the car having 4 6-wheel Buckeye trucks.  Capacity is 500,000 pounds.  And build date is February 1941.

Does anyone know what the reporting marks might be?  I can't find anything anywhere near the numbers above.

The big thingy is JUMBO.  It was designed to contain a non-critical detonation of a plutonium bomb.  And it weighed a lot.

Here is perhaps a better copy of the photo:

TR-017

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Marty McGuirk

I'd surmise, based on the what's shown in the photo, and the photos in the same group on Flickr, that this car was used to transport the test weapon to the detonation site. Not sure if the car was moved away before the test weapon was detonated or not. IT might have been used to transport the two other bombs to the coast for loading on Navy vessels.
Marty McGuirk

spsalso

Thanks Eric and Marty,

Someone on the Kalmbach forum came up with CISX 500 (from the fine folks at Fallen Flags):

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/cisx500alb.jpg

It shows in my April 1941 ORER as a new entry.  It's gone from my July 1945 ORER.  There's talk of it getting new reporting marks.  I'm not finding it in any private car listings in the 1945 book.

Evaporated??????

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Jack Mullen

The Jumbo cask was designed to be used to contain the test bomb during the Trinity test, so that if the implosion failed to initiate a critical nuclear reaction, the plutonium would be contained and could be recovered. As it happened, it was later decided not to use it and it was placed near ground zero, surviving the blast more-or-less intact.

Apparently Jumbo was moved by rail twice: Delivery from Babcock and Wilcox in Barberton, Ohio to Los Alamos (Post, NM) in spring 1945, and from there to the test site in late June or early July. The final leg of each trip was by road on a special trailer.

IIRC, neither the Trinity device nor the two bombs were transported intact. Components were transported separately and assembled before use, at the test site and on Tinian, respectively.  Nothing as massive as the Jumbo cask would have been needed for transportation.

Jack Mullen

Greg Martin

Was this ever resolved? I was away over most of the weekend and it occurred to me that I know of that car it was a 50-ton car built for Carnegie_Illinois Steel Corp. CISX 500 or at least I believe that is the correct car number.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 11/21/2014 6:03:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

Over on the Kalmbach forum, there's discussion about the identity of a car in a photograph:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/opML58.jpg

I get the car having 4 6-wheel Buckeye trucks.  Capacity is 500,000 pounds.  And build date is February 1941.

Does anyone know what the reporting marks might be?  I can't find anything anywhere near the numbers above.

The big thingy is JUMBO.  It was designed to contain a non-critical detonation of a plutonium bomb.  And it weighed a lot.

Here is perhaps a better copy of the photo:

TR-017

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Greg Martin

Sorry guys I just got through my mail and discovered it was resolved.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 11/23/2014 7:10:27 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

[...]

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

The weapons themselves were not that heavy (dropped on Japan by B-29,
remember). CISX 500 was used to transport the Jumbo only. As said before,
Jumbo was designed to contain a non-critical explosion of the Gadget (code
name for the Trinity test device), so as to no lose all the plutonium should
the shaped TNT charges not implode the plutonium correctly.

In the event, Jumbo was not used (may have been too heavy for the tower that
Gadget was suspended from), and weathered the explosion.

I would heartily recommend listers watch Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb
Movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_and_Beyond while in no way
related directly to STMFC, it¹s fascinating. For example, I never knew they
actually stacked up 1000 tons of TNT to use as a baseline explosion!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Identity of very large FD built February 1941

I'd surmise, based on the what's shown in the photo, and the photos in the
same group on Flickr, that this car was used to transport the test weapon to
the detonation site. Not sure if the car was moved away before the test
weapon was detonated or not. IT might have been used to transport the two
other bombs to the coast for loading on Navy vessels.

Marty McGuirk

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

I have attempted to upload a photo of CISX 500, used as part of a United
States Steel ad, to the STMFC photos folder in a folder named Brian Ehni
photos.

We¹ll see how well that worked.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>

Thanks Eric and Marty,

Someone on the Kalmbach forum came up with CISX 500 (from the fine folks at
Fallen Flags):

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/cisx500alb.jpg

<http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/cisx500alb.jpg>

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/cis...
<http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/cisx500alb.jpg>

View on www.rr-fallenflags.org
<http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/cisx500alb.jpg>
Preview by Yahoo

It shows in my April 1941 ORER as a new entry. It's gone from my July 1945
ORER. There's talk of it getting new reporting marks. I'm not finding it
in any private car listings in the 1945 book.

Evaporated??????

Ed

Edward Sutorik

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

The advert I posted is now available.
2107600402?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/2107600402

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>

STMFC@... writes:

Over on the Kalmbach forum, there's discussion about the identity of a car
in a photograph:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/opML58.jpg

<http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/opML58.jpg>

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/opML58...
<http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/opML58.jpg>

View on imagizer.imageshack.us
<http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/opML58.jpg>
Preview by Yahoo

I get the car having 4 6-wheel Buckeye trucks. Capacity is 500,000 pounds.
And build date is February 1941.

Does anyone know what the reporting marks might be? I can't find anything
anywhere near the numbers above.

The big thingy is JUMBO. It was designed to contain a non-critical
detonation of a plutonium bomb. And it weighed a lot.

Here is perhaps a better copy of the photo:

TR-017
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/losalamosnatlab/7597514026/in/set-721576248810
00675/>

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/losalamosnatlab/7597514026/in/set-721576248810
00675/>

TR-017
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/losalamosnatlab/7597514026/in/set-721576248810
00675/> Explore Los Alamos National Laboratory's photos on Flickr. Los
Alamos National Laboratory has uploaded 1124 photos to Flickr.

View on www.flickr.com