Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: [STMFC] Prototype Fidelity - Part 2 (UNCLASSIFIED)
To: "STMFC@..." <STMFC@...>
Date: Monday, November 24, 2014, 9:16 PM
Guys,

I should also add that I want pictures of the prototype
as well.  Not just written history.  A good modeler will
be able to supply something like that, because he/she
probably uses photos as reference material when building the
model.  There have been a
few who asked whether we have a library of photos.  We
don't.  I'm not sitting in the middle of an archive
when editing; I'm at home sitting with my own PC.

Jim Hunter

A&Y Dave in MD

True, although historical societies can (and have in my case) found additional photos originally unknown to the author. It works both ways. What is important is trying and asking with open minds. I got more permissions to use photos for an article in an historical publication than I did for my web site. More people fear loss of control with info on the web versus in a formally published medium like a magazine.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Nov 25, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Arved Grass arved_grass@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

But a good modeler may not be in a position to grant you rights to publish the images he referred to.

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...
Fleming Island, Florida

To: "STMFC@..." <STMFC@...>
Date: Monday, November 24, 2014, 9:16 PM
Guys,

I should also add that I want pictures of the prototype
as well.  Not just written history.  A good modeler will
be able to supply something like that, because he/she
probably uses photos as reference material when building the
model.  There have been a
few who asked whether we have a library of photos.  We
don't.  I'm not sitting in the middle of an archive
when editing; I'm at home sitting with my own PC.

Jim Hunter

John C. La Rue, Jr. <MOFWCABOOSE@...>

Loss of control is exactly right. Quite some years ago now I published two articles on the Railroad.net website about railroad work equipment. The pictures I used to illustrate the articles have since been reproduced on other sites as far away as  the Netherlands, sometimes with my permission and sometimes without, and have also appeared on the cover of a CD made for charity.

Normally I will grant permission when asked. The one exception was when I was asked for permission by a notorious cult to use a picture in one of their "study guides". I simply did not respond to the request. I have little doubt they used the picture anyway.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL