Up dating a roster was: Prototype fidelity

Clark Propst

If we look at Tangent and ExactRail’s latest offerings for this group’s era I feel they are very much niche models. An acid tank car and a UP GSC flat. A longer car is now available and I guess a bulkhead version is in the works.

I have a friend that collects. Meaning he buys RTR stuff and has no layout to run them on. He will buy better versions of cars he already has when they hit the market, then sells off the ‘obsolete’ models. Thus keeping his inventory up to date.

I recently built a small switching layout based on an industry located on the Milwaukee here. I wanted my roster to be heavy with ribsided box cars. I was able to fill out the roster in minimal time do to great pickings at the trains shows this fall. I ended up with mostly Rib Side Cars models with one Intermountain and one ExactRail. I prefer the looks of the IM and ER cars, but, especially, the ER cars are hard to find. [The the one I bought had the wrong door]

This brings me back to what cars a manufacturer has the best chance of selling. {hand me my crystal ball please} I feel the Milwaukee Ribside box car is one car that would sell on and on, maybe? I passed on the acid car and was thankful it wasn’t a radial course GATC tank car because I still have a SC&F model to build. After it’s done, bring on the plastic model :  )) I would buy a few and I think they would sell on and on also. I’m also looking forward to the ER bulkhead flat. I would buy one of those. Hey, one’s all I need!

The bulkhead flat has been made by Walthers in the past. I’m sure my friend will update his models. If I had any Walthers car would I update? It depends. Only needing one, sure. I have a half dozen 1958 Bowser covered hoppers. When IM came out with their version of the car in my road’s lettering did I replace them? No. Half my models have had the hatches re-arranged and I didn’t want to go through that again. Now that I’ve checked out the IM cars against the newer RP Cycs I’m glad I didn’t, because I’d end up replacing the entire roof.

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

jon miller <atsfus@...>

On 11/25/2014 8:47 AM, cepropst@q.com [STMFC] wrote:
This brings me back to what cars a manufacturer has the best chance of selling. {hand me my crystal ball please} I feel the Milwaukee Ribside box car is one car that would sell on and on, maybe?

    Santa Fe has a couple of niche cars that might sell as well as or better than the Milwaukee.  I've always wanted a Tk-L tank with the bottom done correctly.  There are boxcars that were seen over the entire country and on all RR's.  Again maybe?

--

Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

markstation01 <markstation01@...>

And I think a MDT milk flat with trailers would sell but I don't expect a RTR model anytime soon

This brings me back to what cars a manufacturer has the best chance of selling. {hand me my crystal ball please} I feel the Milwaukee Ribside box car is one car that would sell on and on, maybe?

    Santa Fe has a couple of niche cars that might sell as well as or better than the Milwaukee.  I've always wanted a Tk-L tank with the bottom done correctly.  There are boxcars that were seen over the entire country and on all RR's.  Again maybe?

--

Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tim O'Connor

    >>> ... what cars a manufacturer has the best chance of selling.

 > Santa Fe has a couple of niche cars that might sell as well

Methinks steam/transition era modelers are running out of prototypes that were in
wide deployment, that have not yet been produced in HO scale! Is that an accurate
statement?

We're definitely missing one very important "niche" car -- the UTLX X-3 tank cars! IMO that is.

Post-1960 modelers on the other hand can cite dozens of cars for which there are either
only very poor models, or no models at all. Yet manufacturers keep cranking out oddball
"signature" cars in plastic that really confounds me, unless what sells is cars that are so
obviously different than other cars that the non-RPM buyers will snap them up just to jazz
up their freight trains. Sheer speculation on my part.

The other day I made an overview examination of Ebay HO auctions -- Some notes:

1. The number of Ebay HO auctions has tripled (over 50,000 currently) from 5-6 years ago.
    For many years (about 10) the number was steadily at 18,000-20,000. And if you look at
    the "Buy It Now" stuff (I generally don't bother) the number is astounding -- 195,000+

2. Thousands of freight car auctions receive no bids at all. It's especially easy to find unsold
    auctions of "custom decorated" cars from Bev Bel and many other decorators. Evidently
    not many people are interested in this stuff anymore. Has everyone gone over to the RPM side?
    Or is everyone just broke or doesn't need any more "stuff"?

3. Not all brass sells well, but some brass holds up very well. But in general prices are down 20-30%
    compared to 10 years ago, with some exceptions: Overald brass truss bridges sell for a premium.
    I saw an Overland UP "coal turbine" that sold for $5,000! Well painted, older high quality brass freight
    cars sell at very good (higher than MSRP) prices -- regardless of the accuracy of the paint jobs.
    Brass passenger cars of all brands except W&R have been murdered by the relentless onslaught of
    Walthers cars. (Walthers hasn't done any NP trains yet.) I'm watching a Wasatch passenger car
    auction that is at $50 now -- less than the price of a Walthers plastic model.

4. Slides and negatives (especially freight cars!) seem to sell for big money if they are of high quality
    and rare (hard to find). I don't know WHY since no one is painting or decaling any more! :-)

I sure wouldn't want to be in the HO scale freight car business now. I really appreciate Tangent and
the other manufacturers who continue to bring out excellent new products. And Microscale has been
continuing to crank out new sets, bless them.

Tim O'Connor

Armand Premo

    Might as well chime in here.I would like to see more quad and trple hoppers as well as an ERDX reefer.Some of the lesser roads have not been touched either.Thanks to TLT,many of the missing and correctly executed Canadian cars.are now available.They have set a new standard for accuracy.I also wish that Kadee would do the Pullman Standard gon.Armand Premo

    >>> ... what cars a manufacturer has the best chance of selling.

 > Santa Fe has a couple of niche cars that might sell as well

Methinks steam/transition era modelers are running out of prototypes that were in
wide deployment, that have not yet been produced in HO scale! Is that an accurate
statement?

We're definitely missing one very important "niche" car -- the UTLX X-3 tank cars! IMO that is.

Post-1960 modelers on the other hand can cite dozens of cars for which there are either
only very poor models, or no models at all. Yet manufacturers keep cranking out oddball
"signature" cars in plastic that really confounds me, unless what sells is cars that are so
obviously different than other cars that the non-RPM buyers will snap them up just to jazz
up their freight trains. Sheer speculation on my part.

The other day I made an overview examination of Ebay HO auctions -- Some notes:

1. The number of Ebay HO auctions has tripled (over 50,000 currently) from 5-6 years ago.
    For many years (about 10) the number was steadily at 18,000-20,000. And if you look at
    the "Buy It Now" stuff (I generally don't bother) the number is astounding -- 195,000+

2. Thousands of freight car auctions receive no bids at all. It's especially easy to find unsold
    auctions of "custom decorated" cars from Bev Bel and many other decorators. Evidently
    not many people are interested in this stuff anymore. Has everyone gone over to the RPM side?
    Or is everyone just broke or doesn't need any more "stuff"?

3. Not all brass sells well, but some brass holds up very well. But in general prices are down 20-30%
    compared to 10 years ago, with some exceptions: Overald brass truss bridges sell for a premium.
    I saw an Overland UP "coal turbine" that sold for $5,000! Well painted, older high quality brass freight
    cars sell at very good (higher than MSRP) prices -- regardless of the accuracy of the paint jobs.
    Brass passenger cars of all brands except W&R have been murdered by the relentless onslaught of
    Walthers cars. (Walthers hasn't done any NP trains yet.) I'm watching a Wasatch passenger car
    auction that is at $50 now -- less than the price of a Walthers plastic model.

4. Slides and negatives (especially freight cars!) seem to sell for big money if they are of high quality
    and rare (hard to find). I don't know WHY since no one is painting or decaling any more! :-)

I sure wouldn't want to be in the HO scale freight car business now. I really appreciate Tangent and
the other manufacturers who continue to bring out excellent new products. And Microscale has been
continuing to crank out new sets, bless them.

Tim O'Connor

Pierre Oliver

Tim,
From where I sit, there are plenty of prototype cars that have yet to be accurately modeled in HO scale.
The AC&F built postwar boxcars with AC&F proprietary parts are but one example.
If your assertion were true, I and a few other resin manufacturers, will be in a world of hurt. :-)
Are you leaving out the Sunshine model when you mention the UTLX  X-3? Impossible to get right now, but is there a demand for this kit to be rerun? Or does a RTR version the only one that counts now?
Ebay.
I would consider it perilous to do any kind of accurate assessment on the state of the hobby from EBay sales. Lots of toys listed and some very unrealistic price expectations. IMHO
From where I sit, it's a great time to be a manufacturer. The processes for reproduction have never been better, cheaper and numerous.
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 11/26/2014 1:15 AM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:

    >>> ... what cars a manufacturer has the best chance of selling.

 > Santa Fe has a couple of niche cars that might sell as well

Methinks steam/transition era modelers are running out of prototypes that were in
wide deployment, that have not yet been produced in HO scale! Is that an accurate
statement?

We're definitely missing one very important "niche" car -- the UTLX X-3 tank cars! IMO that is.

Post-1960 modelers on the other hand can cite dozens of cars for which there are either
only very poor models, or no models at all. Yet manufacturers keep cranking out oddball
"signature" cars in plastic that really confounds me, unless what sells is cars that are so
obviously different than other cars that the non-RPM buyers will snap them up just to jazz
up their freight trains. Sheer speculation on my part.

The other day I made an overview examination of Ebay HO auctions -- Some notes:

1. The number of Ebay HO auctions has tripled (over 50,000 currently) from 5-6 years ago.
    For many years (about 10) the number was steadily at 18,000-20,000. And if you look at
    the "Buy It Now" stuff (I generally don't bother) the number is astounding -- 195,000+

2. Thousands of freight car auctions receive no bids at all. It's especially easy to find unsold
    auctions of "custom decorated" cars from Bev Bel and many other decorators. Evidently
    not many people are interested in this stuff anymore. Has everyone gone over to the RPM side?
    Or is everyone just broke or doesn't need any more "stuff"?

3. Not all brass sells well, but some brass holds up very well. But in general prices are down 20-30%
    compared to 10 years ago, with some exceptions: Overald brass truss bridges sell for a premium.
    I saw an Overland UP "coal turbine" that sold for $5,000! Well painted, older high quality brass freight
    cars sell at very good (higher than MSRP) prices -- regardless of the accuracy of the paint jobs.
    Brass passenger cars of all brands except W&R have been murdered by the relentless onslaught of
    Walthers cars. (Walthers hasn't done any NP trains yet.) I'm watching a Wasatch passenger car
    auction that is at $50 now -- less than the price of a Walthers plastic model.

4. Slides and negatives (especially freight cars!) seem to sell for big money if they are of high quality
    and rare (hard to find). I don't know WHY since no one is painting or decaling any more! :-)

I sure wouldn't want to be in the HO scale freight car business now. I really appreciate Tangent and
the other manufacturers who continue to bring out excellent new products. And Microscale has been
continuing to crank out new sets, bless them.

Tim O'Connor

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

I like the idea of a UTLX X-3, but would also love plastic kit or RTR for an early ACF type 7 or 11 with high walkways. We have F&C resin kits for the 8K tanks, but also need a 10K. These were very common, and could be offered in a lot of correct road names. Also, the same tanks were used on low-walkway cars, meaning possibly cross-use for the tooling.

As for one-offs, how about Harriman flat cars such as SP F-40-2 (fishbelly) or F-40-4 (straight sills)? These were used by both SP and UP, maybe IC, and lots of subsidiaries, and some were still going strong in the 1950s.

I would like to have an SP F-50-16 40' flat car. I think this is a unique car, but no more unique that Exactrail's UP GSC 40' flat (I got one, nice car!), and SP always sells.

Southern 41' 6" low-sided gondolas with nine ribs would be great. These were unique to the Southern, but they had thousands, and they are a signature car for modelers of all southeastern railroads.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

John Barry

Pierre,

The rerun would be nice, but a RTR X-3 is really needed. It has very broad appeal to the non resin crowd and was present in numbers that a realistic fleet could easily take up all of one's available modelling time. I model Richmond California in 1944 and the standard oil refinery was a giant customer. UTLX managed their tank fleet and most were X-3s. Getting the long strings of them to simulate the traffic wether or not the refinery is modeled on layout or as an interchange to staging calls for 20-50 cars. With the time demands and fiscal rewards of my new job, I am forced in the direction of checkbook modelling to acquire the cars. I am thankful for the availability of so many good RTR models, including the upcoming releases by Intermountain of the Santa Fe Bx-37 with all five of the A's built straight line map schemes. I have one of each car number on order. Are they perfect? No, but they are close. I just wish they came with KD 58s and semi scale
wheels. Then a light weathering and a few truck swaps wold be all that was needed for the core of my home road box car fleet. Their caswell gin is the heart of my home roars hoppers as is their reefer. Unlike those modelling Cajon or Tehachapi, I don't need solid trains of SFRD reefers. But I now know that I need a few more than I originally thought as I just found documentation of Santa Fe using empty reefers as buffer cars on trains of high explosives from Fort Wingate to Oakland. I do need the solid strings of X-3s though. I'd prefer to spend my modelling time on a reissued battleship Fe-13 or raised roof Bx-12 than the X-3 fleet.

John Barry

------------------------------

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 3:58 AM PST Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC] wrote:

Tim,
From where I sit, there are plenty of prototype cars that have yet to be /accurately/ modeled in HO scale.
The AC&F built postwar boxcars with AC&F proprietary parts are but one example.
If your assertion were true, I and a few other resin manufacturers, will be in a world of hurt. :-)
Are you leaving out the Sunshine model when you mention the UTLX X-3? Impossible to get right now, but is there a demand for this kit to be rerun? Or does a RTR version the only one that counts now?
Ebay.
I would consider it perilous to do any kind of accurate assessment on the state of the hobby from EBay sales. Lots of toys listed and some very unrealistic price expectations. IMHO
From where I sit, it's a great time to be a manufacturer. The processes for reproduction have never been better, cheaper and numerous.

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

On 11/26/2014 1:15 AM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:

>> ... */what cars a manufacturer has the best chance of selling/*/.

/ > Santa Fe has a couple of niche cars that might sell as well

Methinks steam/transition era modelers are running out of prototypes that were in
wide deployment, that have not yet been produced in HO scale! Is that an accurate
statement?

We're definitely missing one very important "niche" car -- the *UTLX X-3 *tank cars! IMO that is.

Post-1960 modelers on the other hand can cite dozens of cars for which there are either
only very poor models, or no models at all. Yet manufacturers keep cranking out oddball
"signature" cars in plastic that really confounds me, unless what sells is cars that are so
obviously different than other cars that the non-RPM buyers will snap them up just to jazz
up their freight trains. Sheer speculation on my part.

The other day I made an overview examination of *Ebay HO auctions* -- Some notes:

1. The number of Ebay HO auctions has tripled (over 50,000 currently) from 5-6 years ago.
For many years (about 10) the number was steadily at 18,000-20,000. And if you look at
the "Buy It Now" stuff (I generally don't bother) the number is astounding -- 195,000+

2. Thousands of freight car auctions receive no bids at all. It's especially easy to find unsold
auctions of "custom decorated" cars from Bev Bel and many other decorators. Evidently
not many people are interested in this stuff anymore. Has everyone gone over to the RPM side?
Or is everyone just broke or doesn't need any more "stuff"?

3. Not all brass sells well, but some brass holds up very well. But in general prices are down 20-30%
compared to 10 years ago, with some exceptions: Overald brass truss bridges sell for a premium.
I saw an Overland UP "coal turbine" that sold for $5,000! Well painted, older high quality brass freight
cars sell at very good (higher than MSRP) prices -- regardless of the accuracy of the paint jobs.
Brass passenger cars of all brands except W&R have been murdered by the relentless onslaught of
Walthers cars. (Walthers hasn't done any NP trains yet.) I'm watching a Wasatch passenger car
auction that is at $50 now -- less than the price of a Walthers plastic model.

4. Slides and negatives (especially freight cars!) seem to sell for big money if they are of high quality
and rare (hard to find). I don't know *WHY* since no one is painting or decaling any more! :-)

I sure wouldn't want to be in the HO scale freight car business now. I really appreciate *Tangent* and
the other manufacturers who continue to bring out excellent new products. And *Microscale* has been
continuing to crank out new sets, bless them.

Tim O'Connor

arved_grass

6.5k gal, 8k fat, 8k skinny, or 10k?

We talk about the X-3 as one car, but it had 4 forms (that I'm aware of). I guess if someone like Atlas can make 6 different versions of the 1932 AAR Box car, it is now expected any manufacturer will produce every variation.

The new Tangent car is nice. The prototype being introduced in 1951 - they'd be very new cars in my fleet, but I know many modelers choose to model closer to the end of WWII, if not before. I know several SP modelers who've chosen 1948 as their time period. The Tangent car is in the future for them.

The X-3, introduced in the '20s, should have more popular appeal. Since they lasted into the 70s, even the 1960s modelers Tim refers to would be happy with the model.

I believe Sunshine was the only one to make a kit of the X-3, but many of us avoided (note the past tense) resin kits due to their expense and reputation for being difficult to assemble. I didn't want to mess up such an expensive model! Well, I still don't, but I have more faith in my skills today than I did even 6 months ago. So now we have to take our chances on eBay.

I'm not saying Tangent was wrong to choose the car they did. No-sir-ree. I'm simply agreeing that the X-3 is a needed car, and that I believe there is a strong market for it.

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...
Fleming Island, Florida

To: stmfc@...
Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 7:58 AM

Pierre,

[...]

Brian Carlson

All.
Remember as discussed on this list previously an injection molded X-3 is on the radar of a manufacturer. Exactrail I believe. A search of the archives should find the messages. I can't search on my phone.
However, it will probably cost more than the resin kit listed for.  I can use dozens myself.
Brian Carlson.

On Nov 26, 2014, at 8:48 AM, Arved Grass arved_grass@...  a few more than I originally

asychis@...

I sure wouldn't want to be in the HO scale freight car business now. I really appreciate Tangent and
the other manufacturers who continue to bring out excellent new products. And Microscale has been
continuing to crank out new sets, bless them.

Tim,  Agreed, the reason Tangent and ExactRail and a few others are doing well is because they do their research and do it well.  However, although these guys are tops, it seems to me there is no lack of advertising by Accurail, InterMountain, Walthers and others that offer a secondary line of freight cars not in the top tier. So there has to be profit somewhere.

Jerry Michels

A&Y Dave in MD

On Nov 26, 2014, at 8:48 AM, Arved Grass arved_grass@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

6.5k gal, 8k fat, 8k skinny, or 10k?
I agree with Arved on why and how there is a need for the X-3. I have noted X-3's in relative abundance in NC in 1934 in all four versions. I was looking at $85 or more plus the challenge of resin and potentially old decals for one Sunshine kit with no easy recourse if a part is missing.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

Ian Cranstone

On 2014-11-26, at 1:15 AM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:

Methinks steam/transition era modelers are running out of prototypes that were in
wide deployment, that have not yet been produced in HO scale! Is that an accurate
statement?

We're definitely missing one very important "niche" car -- the UTLX X-3 tank cars! IMO that is.

Wow, I'm surprised you can't think of more Tim!

Definitely no arguments about the X-3, but I can think of a few others… and understand that I have a bias towards cars significant in Canadian service.

How about variants of the GATC radial course ARA-III built in large numbers circa 1917 onwards in both 8K and 10K versions (not to mention later GATC designs).  Many came north from the 1930s onwards to serve with Canadian General Transit.  I'd buy those in numbers, along with the X-3.

Again a Canadian car, the ubiquitous Hart Gondola, built from the 1920s through the 1950s for all major Canadian roads (probably best pitched to TLT or Rapido).  Or for that matter a GS gondola, again very common in Canadian service, so we can stop kitbashing the ancient Ulrich cars (I know, Red Caboose, but they're a more modern design).

Perhaps a Western 30 cu. yd. air dump?

I know some of these are/have been available in brass or resin, but I don't regard those models as being exceptionally useful when you're talking about fleet cars which appear on the prototype in serious numbers and groups.

jon miller <atsfus@...>

On 11/26/2014 6:13 AM, asychis@... [STMFC] wrote:
InterMountain, Walthers and others that offer a secondary line of freight cars not in the top tier.

    I'm not sure I would put IM in that second line.  Look at their ATSF, stock car, caboose, Caswell gondola, etc.  These, while one road, are top rate cars.

--

Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Steve SANDIFER

Going back to an earlier discussion, these particular cars from IM also had high level of input from members of the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Minister Emeritus, Southwest Central Church of Christ

Webmaster, Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society

InterMountain, Walthers and others that offer a secondary line of freight cars not in the top tier.

    I'm not sure I would put IM in that second line.  Look at their ATSF, stock car, caboose, Caswell gondola, etc.  These, while one road, are top rate cars.

--

Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

asychis@...

From where I sit, it's a great time to be a manufacturer. The processes
for reproduction have never been better, cheaper and numerous.

Pierre Oliver

Oh my gosh!  Optimism!  Must be the season.

Jerry Michels

jon miller <atsfus@...>

On 11/26/2014 4:58 AM, John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC] wrote:
I am thankful for the availability of so many good RTR models, including the upcoming releases by Intermountain of the Santa Fe Bx-37 with all five of the A's built straight line map schemes.

    Which are those?  I looked at the site and think I see them (stock #-01 142423 for example).  But I don't see the side shot that shows the map and it appear to show just drawings on the site.

--

Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

George Eichelberger

Armen:

I’d like to see Kadee do about anything (any prototype) that matches their standards. I appreciate the fact they do not do incorrect models but with the addition of a new part, Morton running boards for box cars or the different roof hatch arrangement found on the P-S twin covered hoppers, for instance, they could expand their offerings.

In lieu of Kadee coming out with the circa ’52/’53 53 ft PS gon (if that is the one you have in mind), I suggest people take a look at the WrightTrack kit version. Gary built it using PS drawings, it is a super accurate model and can be used for multiple SR (and other) prototypes if that road is of interest although they ran all over the country. (I am kitbashing both drone and master track panel cars, very distinctive MoW cars but specific to the Southern.)

Ike

asychis@...

I agree somewhat John, but the stock cars, from what I have read, were not that great as far as details, and wasn't the caboose a joint venture with Centralia?  I am looking at the Caswell gondola.  I think the Amarillo Railroad Museum needs some. I like InterMountain, and our group has worked with them a lot in the past (although they seldom reply to our emails these days).

Jerry Michels

In a message dated 11/26/2014 10:27:10 A.M. Central Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:
I'm not sure I would put IM in that second line. Look at their
ATSF, stock car, caboose, Caswell gondola, etc. These, while one road,
are top rate cars.

--

Jon Miller

Charles Etheredge

I'm glad someone spoke up about an accurate SP 40 fr. flat car.  I have bugged several people about this and really get no answers.  ( flats don't sell, etc. etc.)   I personally need at least15 or more good Harriman flats.  At one time the SP society was suppose to be considering one but it has dropped out of sight. Whats the feeling out there?

Charles Etheredge

TNO- 1948