Topics

Lancaster and Chester 829

arved_grass
 

This is a pretty snazzy looking box car:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA4MFgxNjAw/z/iIUAAOSwofxUfVk5/$_57.JPG

"Image is of LANCASTER & CHESTER RAILWAY 829, box car, at Lancaster, South Carolina in May 1959."

The ends look... interesting. Looks kind of like a dreadnaught end, but the seam between the upper and lower panel is on a couragation. I can't say I've seen that before.

Is there a model suitable? Decals? Any information on the car and it's paint scheme would be appreciated.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, Florida
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...

Bill Welch
 

This is an ex-Southern DD DS car. I built one using ends I think I scored from Martin for a SFRD reefer and scratch built the sides and roof. I don't remember where the U/F. Decals came from the Herald King. MIM SFRD ends would work too.

Bill Welch

arved_grass
 

Any idea how far back this paint scheme goes?

Excuse my ignorance, but Martin - as in Greg Martin??? MIM????

I had a private reply about the decals being available from Herald King. The photo on eBay is dated from 1959. If it can go back to 1953, I'm tempted to make a go of it!

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...
Fleming Island, Florida

--------------------------------------------

On Sat, 12/6/14, fgexbill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Subject: [STMFC] Re: Lancaster and Chester 829
To: STMFC@...
Date: Saturday, December 6, 2014, 9:39 PM


This is an ex-Southern DD DS car. I built one using
ends I think I scored from Martin for a SFRD reefer and
scratch built the sides and roof. I don't remember where
the U/F. Decals came from the Herald King. MIM SFRD ends
would work too.
Bill
Welch

arved_grass
 

And they are not listed in the January 1953 ORER. They were probably acquired around that 1955 date.

Whew! I was tempted to model it. It's a snazzy paint scheme on a vintage car. One less for the workbench backlog! LOL

Thanks everyone!

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...
Fleming Island, Florida

--------------------------------------------

On Sat, 12/6/14, greg_kennelly@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Lancaster and Chester 829
To: STMFC@...
Date: Saturday, December 6, 2014, 11:12 PM

On enlargement, it looks like a re-weigh date of
10-55.

Greg Kennelly

Tim O'Connor
 

Walthers also made decals, set # 126200

Tim O'

This is an ex-Southern DD DS car. I built one using ends I think I scored from Martin for a SFRD reefer and scratch built the sides and roof. I don't remember where the U/F. Decals came from the Herald King. MIM SFRD ends would work too.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch
 

Martin Lofton, I never use someone's last name by BTW. I was inspired by a "one of" I scored from Bob's Photo maybe 20 years ago that is a 1955 photo. Car was boxcar red/brown.

Bill Welch

arved_grass
 

Thanks.

Too new for my 1953 era modeling, and too old for my 1970s stuff. Might make the cut for my later 1960s stuff (to run with the K-M and big ALCOs, like the C-643DH), but that's not a priority right now. If I run into some decals, I'll pick them up, but in the mean time it'll languish in the back of my mind. :-)

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...
Fleming Island, Florida

--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 12/7/14, fgexbill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Lancaster and Chester 829
To: STMFC@...
Date: Sunday, December 7, 2014, 3:16 AM


Martin Lofton, I never use someone's last name
by BTW. I was inspired by a "one of" I scored from
Bob's Photo maybe 20 years ago that is a 1955 photo. Car
was boxcar red/brown.
Bill Welch

al_brown03
 

What an interesting car. Ex-DD hence the long top door guide and side-sill brace.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

O Fenton Wells
 

I would love to know when this paint scheme was implemented.  Was the first paint scheme these cars saw?  Was there another scheme before this one?
--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Bill Welch
 

Boxcar Red/Brown preceded this scheme. The L&C also own ten Southern 36' SU boxcars and this is offered in the Westerfield line. The L&C Herald is curiously way oversized. They also owned some 1937 steel cars, my guess ex-Southern.

Let's hear it for the "Ya'll Roads!"

Bill Welch

O Fenton Wells
 

William, ThankY'all

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 1:13 PM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:
 

Boxcar Red/Brown preceded this scheme. The L&C also own ten Southern 36' SU boxcars and this is offered in the Westerfield line. The L&C Herald is curiously way oversized. They also owned some 1937 steel cars, my guess ex-Southern.


Let's hear it for the "Ya'll Roads!"

Bill Welch




--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Greg Martin
 

Arved,
 
I will have to check Richard's masters for the Westrails parts, I have one that is similar, but with one too many lower ribs that could be modified. 
 
The Lancaster and Chester hosted a lot of second hand cars in this paint scheme.
 
Greg Martin
 
Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it.
Norman Maclean
 

In a message dated 12/6/2014 9:47:09 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:
And they are not listed in the January 1953 ORER. They were probably acquired around that 1955 date.

Whew! I was tempted to model it. It's a snazzy paint scheme on a vintage car. One less for the workbench backlog! LOL

Thanks everyone!

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...
Fleming Island, Florida

Richard Dermody <ddermody@...>
 

Guys,

I think what got missed here was that Bill's "MIM" reference appeared to be to Intermountain and their ATSF "RR" reefer ends. Don't know about dimensions, but visually they seem pretty close to those on the L&C boxcar.

Dick


On Dec 7, 2014, at 3:14 PM, tgregmrtn@... [STMFC] wrote:

 

Arved,
 
I will have to check Richard's masters for the Westrails parts, I have one that is similar, but with one too many lower ribs that could be modified. 
 
The Lancaster and Chester hosted a lot of second hand cars in this paint scheme.
 
Greg Martin
 
Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it.
Norman Maclean
 
In a message dated 12/6/2014 9:47:09 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:
And they are not listed in the January 1953 ORER. They were probably acquired around that 1955 date.

Whew! I was tempted to model it. It's a snazzy paint scheme on a vintage car. One less for the workbench backlog! LOL

Thanks everyone!

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...
Fleming Island, Florida