foreign road stock cars

ed_mines

I've wondered what foreign road stock cars would be found on  steam era Erie.

I've seen 2 videos of stock trains (or maybe just blocks of  stock cars) on the steam era Erie. The silhouettes of the cars are different indicating they come from different railroads, When the videos are stopped the screen is too blurry to identify the cars..

I haven't  found a conductor's list for these trains but I did find steam era lists containing stock car blocks for both NYC and  D&H. Surprisingly almost every western railroad is represented.

Ed Mines

Bruce Smith

Ed sez:

"I haven't  found a conductor's list for these trains but I did find steam era lists containing stock car blocks for both NYC and  D&H. Surprisingly almost every western railroad is represented."

Ed, why is that surprising (unless you've fallen victim of proximity rule propoganda)?  We've been saying over and over, for YEARS on this list that western railroads were well represented in east coast stock car traffic.  And, if you stop to think about it, east coast roads had relatively small fleets of stock cars so it is completely logical that cars from the roads with much bigger fleets would make it east.

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

ed_mines

I would think most livestock would be slaughtered before being shipped east.  Apparently not.

Ed

Benjamin Hom

Ed Mines wrote:
"I would think most livestock would be slaughtered before being shipped east. Apparently not."

No, and eastbound stock traffic actually increased on the PRR and other eastern roads during the late 1950s and early 1960s as trains were run on fast schedules to eliminate the need for feed and watering stops. See Richard Burg's "The Last Stand of Stock Cars in the East" in the January 1993 issue or Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Brad Andonian

Fellas

If anyone can add info on Poultry Car movements it would be grand.    I have learned these cars ran in California as well as out of the Midwest to East Coast markets.

Thanks,
Brad Andonian

On Monday, December 22, 2014 12:24 PM, "Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Ed Mines wrote:
"I would think most livestock would be slaughtered before being shipped east. Apparently not."

No, and eastbound stock traffic actually increased on the PRR and other eastern roads during the late 1950s and early 1960s as trains were run on fast schedules to eliminate the need for feed and watering stops. See Richard Burg's "The Last Stand of Stock Cars in the East" in the January 1993 issue or Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Tony Thompson

If anyone can add info on Poultry Car movements it would be grand.    I have learned these cars ran in California as well as out of the Midwest to East Coast markets.

     I have a photo of one from Arnold Menke, PPWX 100, lettered "Pacific Wholesale Poultry Co., Petaluma, Calif."

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

dssa1051

Looking at photos in various books it's easy to find NYC stock cars on the B&O on Sand Patch and ATSF stock cars on the PRR on Horseshoe Curve.  I think stock cars may have roamed nearly as much as boxcars did.

Robert Oom

SUVCWORR@...

In 1952 the PRR was carrying live poultry on train FW-8 in block 5 as it was reclassed at Enola destined for the Live Poultry Terminal in Long Island City.  Which specific cars I cannot verify.

FW-8 originated in Chicago added additional livestock in Fort Wayne and Crestline as well as deliver liverstock to both locations.  Another block of livestock was dropped at Canton Ohio.  Remaining livestock was fed and watered at Pittsburgh Joint Stock Yards.  Train was reclassed when leaving Pittsburgh and reclassed again in Enola where cars for the Reading and local locations were cut out.

Leaving Enola block 5 contained live poultry.  From the make-up of trains I cannot determine where the live poultry originated.  It is only specifically mentioned in the make-up leaving Enola.

The November 26, 1954 revision of the make-up of FW-8 shows the live poultry as part of block 9 leaving Herr's Island (Pittsburgh Joint Stock Yards) with a destination of the live poultry terminal in Long Island. Again the origin cannot be determined as cars in the train originate in several locations and there were connections with trains from Columbus and St Louis in Pittsburgh.

Rich Orr

Jonathan Pansius

Don Ball in Kansas City has extensive information about live poultry cars and their operation, which he kindly sent me some time ago, and which is on my old computer.  It might be best to contact him directly if you can though I could transfer the data if that fails.  I don't know what Don's plans for publication might be.

Jon Pansius, Tulsa