Red Caboose flat car weights

Robert Deis

Any one have some extra Red Caboose 40' steel weights that originally came with the kits that are not needed? I am in need of six(6).  If so please contact me. Contact information   driver10@...    Thank you.

Robert Deis

driver10@...

O Fenton Wells

You can make your own from sheet lead and cut it to fit with tin snips.  I believe the industrial wholesalers sell it in sheets.  McMaster Carr for instance or roofing supply wholesalers.  I use some roofing vent material that has lasted for quite a while.
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

Brian Carlson

Better yet is small lead shot. (Don't recall the size) I was able to weight a car to run empty reliably. I left off the brake components but they were hidden by the sidesill anyway.
Brian Carlson.

On Dec 21, 2014, at 8:20 PM, O Fenton Wells srrfan1401@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

You can make your own from sheet lead and cut it to fit with tin snips.  I believe the industrial wholesalers sell it in sheets.  McMaster Carr for instance or roofing supply wholesalers.  I use some roofing vent material that has lasted for quite a while.
Fenton Wells

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM, robertdeis@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Any one have some extra Red Caboose 40' steel weights that originally came with the kits that are not needed? I am in need of six(6).  If so please contact me. Contact information   driver10@...    Thank you.

Robert Deis

driver10@...

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Got #9 buckshot at a local gun shop about 15 years ago. Back then it cost $25.00 for 25 lb. Wonder if it can still be purchased given all the hoopla about lead these days. Have foung all kinds f lead tire weights jus walking around town.. But Lead being so pliable, just about any shape can be pounded flat.

Mark Drake <markstation01@...>

Is there any chance you can get the weights as s[are parts from Red Caboose? If not the sheet lead makes the most sense.

Mark L. Drake
eBay ID member1108

On Monday, December 22, 2014 4:56 PM, "lajrmdlr@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Got #9 buckshot at a local gun shop about 15 years ago. Back then it cost $25.00 for 25 lb. Wonder if it can still be purchased given all the hoopla about lead these days. Have foung all kinds f lead tire weights jus walking around town.. But Lead being so pliable, just about any shape can be pounded flat.

Benjamin Hom

"lajrmdlr@gmail.com" wrote:
"Got #9 buckshot at a local gun shop about 15 years ago. Back then it cost $25.00 for 25 lb. Wonder if it can still be purchased given all the hoopla about lead these days."

You can get it from McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#lead-balls/=v51cyk

Ben Hom

Bill Vaughn

Got lead shot in California recently for about the same price.

Bill Vaughn

On Monday, December 22, 2014 3:35 PM, "Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

"lajrmdlr@..." wrote:
"Got #9 buckshot at a local gun shop about 15 years ago. Back then it cost $25.00 for 25 lb. Wonder if it can still be purchased given all the hoopla about lead these days."

You can get it from McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#lead-balls/=v51cyk

Ben Hom

Ken Braden

You can also try a local machine shop. They can order the correct size and cut it to length for you.

Ken Braden

"lajrmdlr@..." wrote:
"Got #9 buckshot at a local gun shop about 15 years ago. Back then it cost $25.00 for 25 lb. Wonder if it can still be purchased given all the hoopla about lead these days."

You can get it from McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#lead-balls/=v51cyk

Ben Hom

Dennis Storzek

You're kidding. In this day and age, if you walk in through the front door, the suits are going to want to charge you an hour at shop rate to even write up an order, and that's $60-$70 right there.

Find a sheet metal fabricating shop, hopefully one that does electrical enclosures, and walk in the back and ask for the foreman. If he's a nice guy, and they use suitable material, maybe he'll send the apprentice scrounging through the scrap bin for a "drop", and have him cut your weights on the power shear for a couple bucks to put in the coffee kitty.

But it's really easier to order some sheet lead and do them yourself with a scissors.

Dennis Storzek

Mark Stamm

RotoMetals (no relation just a happy customer) sells sheet lead among other metals in different thicknesses by the square foot. I have even used 1/32 sheet lead to replace the wooden deck on several F&C flatcars to give them some weight it is a bit thick but the cars need for weight for operations was most important.

Frankly the Red Caboose weight which is not the full length of the car under frame, at least in the kits I have would be a good choice to replace this way so you can fill the entire under frame.

Mark P Stamm
mark at euphoriatt dot com

Sent from my mobile device

On Dec 23, 2014, at 12:07 AM, destorzek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

You're kidding. In this day and age, if you walk in through the front door, the suits are going to want to charge you an hour at shop rate to even write up an order, and that's $60-$70 right there.

Find a sheet metal fabricating shop, hopefully one that does electrical enclosures, and walk in the back and ask for the foreman. If he's a nice guy, and they use suitable material, maybe he'll send the apprentice scrounging through the scrap bin for a "drop", and have him cut your weights on the power shear for a couple bucks to put in the coffee kitty.

But it's really easier to order some sheet lead and do them yourself with a scissors.

Dennis Storzek

Matt Goodman

Normally, I wouldn't parse this, but this is the STMFC list.

#9 shot is much too small to be referred to as "buck" shot. Just plain old "shot" is more accurate.

The word buckshot is a bit of a slang term anyway, referring to shot sizes (note the plural) that were once used on deer sized game.  "Birdshot" is its analog for the smaller shot sizes (though I don't like that word either!).

6 - 9 are the best sizes for weighting freight cars; 12 can be found, but isn't as common. 7 1/2 or 8 is likely the smallest you would find in your local sporting goods stores as they are common for hunting and clay target sports (trap, skeet, sporting clays).

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile