Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] foreign road stock cars

If anyone can add info on Poultry Car movements it would be grand.    I have learned these cars ran in California as well as out of the Midwest to East Coast markets.

     I have a photo of one from Arnold Menke, PPWX 100, lettered "Pacific Wholesale Poultry Co., Petaluma, Calif."

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Douglas Harding

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Doug,

You weren't kidding. I just rambled through the whole private owner section of my 1958 ORER, and found not one poultry car. Curiously, they were still listed among the descriptions of stock cars, and were classed by the AAR as "SP". I guess the AAR was slow to notice their disappearance. :~)

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 12/22/14 6:07 PM, 'Douglas Harding' doug.harding@... [STMFC] wrote:

Brad here are some websites to check out. Poultry cars ran pretty much anywhere people raised or consumed poultry. Most of the cars were no longer in use by the 40’s.

Douglas Harding

Garth if you read the history of Poultry cars at http://www.hoosiervalley.org/history/turkeys-and-trains/  you will learn that by 1950 only 15 poultry cars existed and the last shipment of poultry by rail was in 1956. No doubt it took the AAR a while to update their listings. After all the AAR was a committee and you know how quickly committees work. And I am sure you know ORER listings are only as good as what was provided by car owners, and some citations are known to be well out of date.

The history also covers the consolidations of the various Poultry transit companies into North American Car Co. by 1930. In 1944 North American sold their poultry cars to Poultry Transit Co.

Seems to me a few years ago someone did a clinic on Poultry Cars at Naperville. Unfortunately I did not get to see it, just saw it listed on the schedule.

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Doug,

This was a very interesting story. Thanks much.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 12/22/14 8:35 PM, 'Douglas Harding' doug.harding@... [STMFC] wrote:

Garth if you read the history of Poultry cars at http://www.hoosiervalley.org/history/turkeys-and-trains/  you will learn that by 1950 only 15 poultry cars existed and the last shipment of poultry by rail was in 1956. No doubt it took the AAR a while to update their listings. After all the AAR was a committee and you know how quickly committees work. And I am sure you know ORER listings are only as good as what was provided by car owners, and some citations are known to be well out of date.

The history also covers the consolidations of the various Poultry transit companies into North American Car Co. by 1930. In 1944 North American sold their poultry cars to Poultry Transit Co.

Seems to me a few years ago someone did a clinic on Poultry Cars at Naperville. Unfortunately I did not get to see it, just saw it listed on the schedule.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

earlyrail

Even the railroads had poultry cars.
At least the Southern and either the Lackawana or Erie that I know of.

Howard Garner

cinderandeight@...

Al Hoffman did that excellent clinic.
    Rich Burg

Ian Cranstone

On 2014-12-23, at 8:08 AM, Howard R Garner cascaderail@... [STMFC] wrote:

Even the railroads had poultry cars.
At least the Southern and either the Lackawana or Erie that I know of.

Add Canadian Pacific to that list -- I have both photos and general arrangement drawings of ones they constructed during the 1930s.

Daniel McConnachie

CN had these as well. I've seen a photo of a poultry car on Prince Edward Island. Photo is actually of the attendant so it only shows a partial view of side. I'd hazard a guess that it is a modified Fowler cattle car given the presence of at least one Z brace in the photo.

Daniel

--
Daniel McConnachie