Mystery Gondola Kit

Gary Roe

I have a couple gondola "kits" that were acquired from the estate of a friend of mine who was a prototype modeler and Texas & Pacific fan.  The kits consist of nothing more than the two sides and ends (which are injection molded), and some very basic (useless) instructions.  The sides scale 51'-6" long, and measure 3'-6" above the row of rivets representing where the floor would be.  The sides are fish belly and have 15 panels.  The ends are fixed, flat plates with two vertical braces above the coupler pocket.  There is a photocopy of the sides and ends with the name T. C. Schmidt printed on it.

I know this is a long shot; but does anyone have an idea of what prototype this is supposed to represent?  My friend modeled the late WWII era, so I assume these are for a car from that era; but that could be a bad assumption.

Any leads will be much appreciated.  Thanks!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Tim O'Connor

I have photos of two T&P 14 panel fixed-end 52'6" gondolas, but no 15 panel cars.

Tim O'Connor

I have a couple gondola "kits" that were acquired from the estate of a friend of mine who was a prototype modeler and Texas & Pacific fan. The kits consist of nothing more than the two sides and ends (which are injection molded), and some very basic (useless) instructions. The sides scale 51'-6" long, and measure 3'-6" above the row of rivets representing where the floor would be. The sides are fish belly and have 15 panels. The ends are fixed, flat plates with two vertical braces above the coupler pocket. There is a photocopy of the sides and ends with the name T. C. Schmidt printed on it.

I know this is a long shot; but does anyone have an idea of what prototype this is supposed to represent? My friend modeled the late WWII era, so I assume these are for a car from that era; but that could be a bad assumption.

Any leads will be much appreciated. Thanks!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Andy Carlson

Sounds to me that you are describing the National Car Casting NYC 52' fishbelly gondola. If so, it would have tie down clips engraved into the sides. These cars were very similar to the Bethlehem
cars made by Martin Lofton, later P2K. these were cast in a ABS type of plastic. These kit parts were made in Canada my recollection reminds me.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

To: "STMFC@..."
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 7:05 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Mystery Gondola Kit

I have a couple gondola "kits" that were acquired from the estate of a friend of mine who was a prototype modeler and Texas & Pacific fan.  The kits consist of nothing more than the two sides and ends (which are injection molded), and some very basic (useless) instructions.  The sides scale 51'-6" long, and measure 3'-6" above the row of rivets representing where the floor would be.  The sides are fish belly and have 15 panels.  The ends are fixed, flat plates with two vertical braces above the coupler pocket.  There is a photocopy of the sides and ends with the name T. C. Schmidt printed on it.

I know this is a long shot; but does anyone have an idea of what prototype this is supposed to represent?  My friend modeled the late WWII era, so I assume these are for a car from that era; but that could be a bad assumption.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Allan Smith

I also have one of these kits. Somewhere down the road I lost the instructions and packaging. The car is very similar to the Greenville Steel Car CO. 52'6" drop end 70 ton mill gon. See RPC #3 page52. There is a list of RR's that owned these cars on page 57.

Al Smith
Sonora

Staffan Ehnbom

Yes, it sounds like the National Car Cast 52' gon. Todd Sullivan had an article on it in the Feb 1979 Prototype Modeler. It was presented as a former NYC gon built by the railroad. Starting in 1968 cars were rebuilt with fixed ends for PC series 557000-557299.

Staffan Ehnbom

Benjamin Hom

Staffan Ehnbom wrote:
"Yes, it sounds like the National Car Cast 52' gon. Todd Sullivan had an article on it in the Feb 1979 Prototype Modeler. It was presented as a former NYC gon built by the railroad. Starting in 1968 cars were rebuilt with fixed ends for PC series 557000-557299."

See also "Kit-Completion: National Car Cast HO Scale AAR Gondolas" by Bill Deurown in the January 1989 issue of Model Railroading.

Ben Hom

Gary Roe

Thanks to all who responded.  I will be tracking down all of the suggestions.  Andy's description of the cars sides (below) is spot on, right down to the tie down clips.  The sides exhibit the characteristics of injection molding; but are a quite flexible, gray plastic.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Mystery Gondola Kit

Sounds to me that you are describing the National Car Casting NYC 52' fishbelly gondola. If so, it would have tie down clips engraved into the sides. These cars were very similar to the Bethlehem
cars made by Martin Lofton, later P2K. these were cast in a ABS type of plastic. These kit parts were made in Canada my recollection reminds me.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 7:05 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Mystery Gondola Kit

gary roe
quincy, illinois

John Riddell

Gary,

This gondola “kit” was made by National Car Cast, 34 Allen Street E., Waterloo, Ontario in the 1980s.
It represents a Penn Central gon of series 557000-557298.  IL 52-6, IH 3-10, capacity 1856 cubic feet. The ORER lists 46 of the cars in service in October 1981.
The kit has fixed ends that possibly were rebuilt from the gondolas original ends.

The kit, number G-3,  includes a sheet of 13 assembly steps and a sheet of photos of prototype gon PC 557016.

John Riddell

Tim O'Connor

I think it was Jim Eager who said there were more kits produced by the same maker,
but the gondola is the only one I've ever seen. They're only slightly less elusive
than the Sierra Car & Foundry kits circa late 1980's.

Tim O'Connor

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Staffan Ehnbom

There was a kit for a 65' CP, I think it was, gon too from National Car Cast.

Staffan Ehnbom

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I think it was Jim Eager who said there were more kits produced by the same maker,
but the gondola is the only one I've ever seen. They're only slightly less elusive
than the Sierra Car & Foundry kits circa late 1980's.

Tim O'Connor

>Sounds to me that you are describing the National Car Casting NYC 52' fishbelly gondola. If so, it would have tie down clips engraved into the sides. These cars were very similar to the Bethlehem
>cars made by Martin Lofton, later P2K. these were cast in a ABS type of plastic. These kit parts were made in Canada my recollection reminds me.
>-Andy Carlson
>Ojai CA