Mystery Gondola Kit

Gary Roe

I have a couple gondola "kits" that were acquired from the estate of a friend of mine who was a prototype modeler and Texas & Pacific fan.  The kits consist of nothing more than the two sides and ends (which are injection molded), and some very basic (useless) instructions.  The sides scale 51'-6" long, and measure 3'-6" above the row of rivets representing where the floor would be.  The sides are fish belly and have 15 panels.  The ends are fixed, flat plates with two vertical braces above the coupler pocket.  There is a photocopy of the sides and ends with the name T. C. Schmidt printed on it.

I know this is a long shot; but does anyone have an idea of what prototype this is supposed to represent?  My friend modeled the late WWII era, so I assume these are for a car from that era; but that could be a bad assumption.

Any leads will be much appreciated.  Thanks!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Tim O'Connor

I have photos of two T&P 14 panel fixed-end 52'6" gondolas, but no 15 panel cars.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Andy Carlson

Sounds to me that you are describing the National Car Casting NYC 52' fishbelly gondola. If so, it would have tie down clips engraved into the sides. These cars were very similar to the Bethlehem
cars made by Martin Lofton, later P2K. these were cast in a ABS type of plastic. These kit parts were made in Canada my recollection reminds me.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

[...]

Allan Smith

I also have one of these kits. Somewhere down the road I lost the instructions and packaging. The car is very similar to the Greenville Steel Car CO. 52'6" drop end 70 ton mill gon. See RPC #3 page52. There is a list of RR's that owned these cars on page 57.

Al Smith
Sonora

Staffan Ehnbom

Yes, it sounds like the National Car Cast 52' gon. Todd Sullivan had an article on it in the Feb 1979 Prototype Modeler. It was presented as a former NYC gon built by the railroad. Starting in 1968 cars were rebuilt with fixed ends for PC series 557000-557299.

Staffan Ehnbom

Benjamin Hom

Staffan Ehnbom wrote:
"Yes, it sounds like the National Car Cast 52' gon. Todd Sullivan had an article on it in the Feb 1979 Prototype Modeler. It was presented as a former NYC gon built by the railroad. Starting in 1968 cars were rebuilt with fixed ends for PC series 557000-557299."

See also "Kit-Completion: National Car Cast HO Scale AAR Gondolas" by Bill Deurown in the January 1989 issue of Model Railroading.

Ben Hom

Gary Roe

Thanks to all who responded.  I will be tracking down all of the suggestions.  Andy's description of the cars sides (below) is spot on, right down to the tie down clips.  The sides exhibit the characteristics of injection molding; but are a quite flexible, gray plastic.

gary roe
quincy, illinois