ACF reefer question

A&Y Dave in MD

In the Hendrickson and Kaminski billboard reefer book there is a March 1934 photo of a URTX reefer #19511 painted for the G. Heilman Brewing company's Old Style lager. The 40' reefer was built by ACF in 1922.

I'd like to build an HO scale model of this car, but I don't know much about reefers. Westerfield has a couple of ACF built 40 ton 40' reefers that were leased/owned by UTRX. The Westerfield site refers to "type 2 and type 3" (product# 6600 and 6700). What are the differences between types and how would I know which version to start with?

I'll figure out the artwork, as the reason for my interest is that my Dad is from LaCrosse, WI, home of the Heilman brewery until 1996. I may add a Special Export billboard to the other side, since that was my Dad's favorite, the car fits my layout time period and, though very highly unlikely, it is not totally impossible that the reefer made its way to North Carolina before billboards were banned. Other than that artistic license, I want to model it accurately.

Any help on the type 2 vs 3 differences?

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

Dave Parker

Dave:

There is more information in the Westerefield print catalog than there is on-line (and also in the kit instructions themselves).  Based on the 1922 build date, you want the Type II.  The Type IIIs came after ~1927, and had a somewhat different underframe and hatches.

Good luck.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Douglas Harding

Dave, Branchline did a wonderful HO kit of the URTC 40’ reefer that was based upon an ACF design of the early 20’s which was the car used by many. They even offered it in Heileman Beer lettering. The car is now offered by Atlas as a RTR in their master car line. The kit offered two different styles of ice hatch covers. I’m not sure if Atlas if offering that option. And I don’t know if Atlas is doing the Heileman lettering. But the kits are readily found on ebay and at train shows. You might want to compare this car to the Westerfield offerings.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

David

Or you could buy this:

Branchline Blueprint HO ACF/URTX Beer Reefer Heileman's Brewing Kit #1335

David Thompson

A&Y Dave in MD

Well, that removes a lot of work!  I can get back to my current resin kits... Let me know if they start offering a RTR Southern SU DS 36 footer! 😉

Thank you. I'll have this running before my Dad passes (he's in hospice). Sometimes RTR is a boon!

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Jan 10, 2015, at 4:07 PM, jaydeet2001@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Or you could buy this:

Branchline Blueprint HO ACF/URTX Beer Reefer Heileman's Brewing Kit #1335

David Thompson

Allan Smith

There is a car now up for bid on E Bay now.

Al Smith Sonora

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 1:07 PM, "jaydeet2001@... [STMFC]" wrote:

David Thompson

Benjamin Hom

Dave Bott wrote:
"Sometimes RTR is a boon!"

Sorry to bust your bubble, Dave, but this isn't RTR.  It's a kit.
Ben Hom

Douglas Harding

Dave the Branchline kits are not RTR. Atlas is now offering the former Branchline kits as RTR, but I don’t believe they are offering the same billboard paint schemes. The Heileman Beer will be a kit.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

A&Y Dave in MD

Given my quick judgments and unerringly wrong guesses, I cannot wait to see how this kit turns out...lol

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone