So how was Cocoa?

mopacfirst

Written from Houston, where it was raining all weekend.

Ron Merrick

np328

I found Cocoa to be well worth the trip from Minnesota and that is not just written as a thick blooded northerner who felt the weather here was just fine compared to comments of others. 

Presentations: Others may state differently, with different tastes and so on, and one cannot make all presentations. I saw one that I would have loved to make until I noted it was on when I was presenting.

Oh well, such is life. And life goes on.

In no special order, 

Marty McGurik: Modeling the October Scene.  - I would like to try to scenic in about this same time frame of year and Marty showed it can be done quite convincingly.  Marty models New England however much of what he covered I found I could adapt to my Midwestern area layout. Some of the materials and techniques laid out gave me some Ah Huh! moments.

Jack Burgess: using Sketch Up for 3D printed parts. OK, in all honesty, it may be a while before I do what he showed however I discovered Sketch Up about four months ago and thought this would be a good way to get some tips from Jack, and figured correctly. Sketch up is free and if you are unfamiliar with this program, there are several you tube demos you can watch to see what it can do for you. I would like to use sketch up for making building plans following photos from areas I will be modeling.

Roger Hinman always has very well researched presentations and the NYC automobile car presentation was right up to snuff.

Charles Hostelter (the One Percent Waybill blogger) presented on Railroad Shipments of Pig Iron. From my research, I was aware significant quantities of this item ran on the mainline bit of railroad that I model and this presentation contained information that saved me a chunk of money from purchasing what would have been improper cars for this product. He also showed how to correctly model pig iron loads. I believe that this data will be coming out on his blog so I will let it be at that.

Tom Madden and Resin Casting. Tom posted his presentation however this is something about hearing it from the author that rounded it out.

And Bill Welch and Extreme Modeling. OK, if you are baffled at the title so was I. My brother Brian went to Bill's first scheduled presentation and seeing what Bill was doing, he told me he found the presentation "Uplifting". I like that description and so went to Bill's second scheduled presentation and found it the same. Bill talked a bit about pushing the envelope and showed us how he does that. I liked what I saw here.      

There are others who saw me attend their presentations and not being mentioned here should not be taken as criticism in any manner. I learnt something in every event I attended.  

And "The Crew" who puts this on deserves special notice. As does Mike Brock.  

Two hundred, sixty two paying attendees this year and additionally numerous spouses who did make use of the outdoor patio and pool to sun and swim, so it was not as cool as some might lead you to think. 

Someone stated that they had never seen the property in such good shape and I must agree. Food was quite good. Hotel staff was great all around.

And one last word: Fellowship.  It was really, really, great seeing others, talking with friends, meeting new people, putting faces to names and enjoying the fellowship.

Other may post different opinions, and I hope they do. There are many good reasons to attend this event.

Jim Dick - normally at Roseville, MN   

Bruce Smith

To add to Jim's comments...

As always a great meet - not sure what the weather was like as I only made it outside on forays to Roberto's, the seafood restaurant and down to the beach this morning, just before it rained.

There was a rocket launch early Saturday that many of us including me slept through.

As always the clinics were great.  The only "new" thing at the meet was the F&C B&O N-12G, which Steve also presented a clinic on.  Adventurous modelers will want to try to model some of the patch panel variations, although Steve is also talking about coming out with some.

I thought the vendors were a little sparser than last year, but manufacturers were well represented with Atlas coming for the first time, as well as Rapido, Broadway Limited and Intermountain.

The models on display were great, as always.  I learned a lot looking and talking to folks.

I'm not sure I like the "new" lobby, but as noted, there has been a lot of remodeling and the property is in really good shape.  For those who know Pete, who has been in the lobby since Prototype Rails started, this was his last as he is moving to California to work in a Hilton property out there!  And yes, we really do get to know the staff.

As always a great time and kudos to Mike and the crew for putting on another great event.

Regards
Bruce Smith,
Back home in Auburn, AL

Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2015 8:17 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] So how was Cocoa?

Ron Merrick

Tony Thompson

Ron Merrick wrote:

Jim Dick and Bruce Smith have already made good comments. I always enjoy the meeting and this year was certainly no exception. The clinics are almost always first class, and sometimes you really learn a lot (Jack Burgess was one such presenter, Bill Welch was another). It was great to see Ted Culotta back at the meeting, and I entirely agree with Bruce, that the model displays were very educational (as well as photogenic) and most of the modelers, if you catch them at their display, can really tell you a lot.And I was struck by the MUCH more rapid meal service in the hotel, compared to some prior years.
     I think most of us don't realize how much work Mike Brock, Jeff Aley, Marty, Scott and the rest of the team put in, but if you have ever worked on convention committees, as I have, you know that the good organization and smooth running we all see at Cocoa take a lot of effort, beforehand and behind the scenes.
     As a Californian, I rarely find the January weather in Florida very interesting, but I'm glad that Northerners get a chance to go outdoors without heavy parkas.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

I first ran into "extreme modeling" in the form of Randy Anderson in April 2000 (?)
at a meet outside Baltimore, where Randy had two B&O freight cars (including his
gondola made of .003 shim brass with working hand brakes) on display that were little
more than size-reduced prototype cars. Randy wanted all of us to start modeling in
P:87. And Jack Spencer's modeling is equally awe inspiring. I would have liked to
hear what Bill had to say and show off!

Tim O'Connor

And Bill Welch and Extreme Modeling. OK, if you are baffled at the title so was I. My brother Brian went to Bill's first scheduled presentation and seeing what Bill was doing, he told me he found the presentation "Uplifting". I like that description and so went to Bill's second scheduled presentation and found it the same. Bill talked a bit about pushing the envelope and showed us how he does that. I liked what I saw here.

Andy Harman

I heard that Winston guy failed to show up with his latest 20th Century passenger car project.....

I guess the best thing about it is if I had gone, it would be over now and I'd still be back home. So that means I can still look forward to going next time.

Andy

Aley, Jeff A

Umm, yeah. I just finished a walk on the beach and now I'm at Roberto's for lunch. I'm also getting an el Cubano to eat on the plane.

We missed you, Andy (yes, someone DID ask about you). See you next time!

Regards,

-Jeff

On Jan 12, 2015, at 11:19 AM, Andy Harman gsgondola@...<mailto:gsgondola@...> [STMFC] <STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC@...>> wrote:

I heard that Winston guy failed to show up with his latest 20th Century
passenger car project.....

I guess the best thing about it is if I had gone, it would be over now and
I'd still be back home. So that means I can still look forward to going
next time.

Andy

arved_grass

I, for one, missed seeing you, your wife, and your near twin, Barry Sachs. Winston?

I hope to see you next year.

Charles Hostetler also had a presentation on printing white decals. Printer manufacturers take note: The presentation was standing room only. There was at least as much interest in printing white decals as there is in using 3D printing (Jack Burgess' presentation on using Sketch-up). You can find an abstract of Charles' presentation here:

http://cnwmodeling.blogspot.com/2013/11/printing-white-with-laser-printer-on.html

Jack did a great job on introducing Sketch-up. It's a topic that's difficult to present in a 60-75 minute presentation, but he went over the capabilities and the resources to learn more, which made it well received, and surprised many modelers.

There wasn't a single presentation I regretted attending. Mike and his crew did an outstanding job.

Bruce mentioned the F&C hopper was the only thing new. Perhaps, and especially for this list. Rapido showed it's FL9, which I believe was a debut. . I didn't think anyone could improve on the Highliner F-unit (commonly available as the Athearn Genesis F-units). To say the FL9 is state of the art is an understatement. Rapido is setting a very high bar for modelers and manufacturers to attain. As a Southern Pacific modeler, I have absolutely no interest in an FL9, but it was as inspirational as Marty's pair of O-scale UP 4-12-2s (the "flat face" with it's dual Walschaerts valve gear was an engineering tour de force!).

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...
Fleming Island, Florida

--------------------------------------------

On Mon, 1/12/15, Andy Harman gsgondola@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: So how was Cocoa?
To: STMFC@...
Date: Monday, January 12, 2015, 11:19 AM
I heard that Winston guy failed to show up with his
latest 20th Century

passenger car project.....

I guess the best thing about it is if I had gone, it would
be over now and

I'd still be back home. So that means I can still look
forward to going

next time.

Andy

Benjamin Hom

Arved Grass wrote:
"Rapido showed its FL9, which I believe was a debut. I didn't think anyone could improve on the Highliner F-unit (commonly available as the Athearn Genesis F-units). To say the FL9 is state of the art is an understatement. Rapido is setting a very high bar for modelers and manufacturers to attain."

...except the FL9 has absolutely nothing to do with freight cars.

Ben Hom

Dave Owens

It was my first time to Cocoa Beach and I was blown away. My only
regret is that I waited this long to go.

The clinics were spectacular and I learned a lot. I also was inspired
by the incredible modeling work.

It was also a pleasure to meet Mike Brock, Jeff Aley and the others
who worked so hard on the meet, as well as so many other folks.

The rocket launch was a bonus.

I hope to be back next year.

Dave Owens
West Hartford, Connecticut

--
2015 New England/Northeast Prototype Modelers Meet
May 29-30, 2015 (Always the weekend after Memorial Day)
Collinsville, Connecticut
www.neprototypemeet.com
www.facebook.com/NERPM

Aley, Jeff A

It is true that an FL-9 is not a frt car. However, Prototype Rails is always on-topic for STMFC, per previous decree.

Regards,

-Jeff

On Jan 12, 2015, at 1:26 PM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@...<mailto:b.hom@...> [STMFC] <STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC@...>> wrote:

Arved Grass wrote:
"Rapido showed its FL9, which I believe was a debut. I didn't think anyone could improve on the Highliner F-unit (commonly available as the Athearn Genesis F-units). To say the FL9 is state of the art is an understatement. Rapido is setting a very high bar for modelers and manufacturers to attain."

...except the FL9 has absolutely nothing to do with freight cars.

Ben Hom

Clark Propst

I too have to agree that Jeff earned that 40% raise Mike gave him  ;  )) Jeff was in every room to make sure the presenter was ready. He turned off the lights and turned them on for those ‘running a bit long’. He even provided a computer for me to use. Well done, to all involved.
Had lunch with the F&C family one day and closed the tiki bar with Ted Culotta and Jim Brewer another night. Was a great time!!

Biggest improvement: Door prize logistics. Biggest pain: Having the door prize give away so late.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Bruce Smith

I agree on the door prize logistics!  This year, there were Red Solo cups (we are in the South after all) by each prize and the attendees had 4 “double” tickets and could buy more.  You dropped 1 of each pair of tickets into the cup for the items you were interested in and then the winner was drawn.  Hmm.. have to wonder if some of the no-shows dropped both halves in cups?  Maybe too much time at the tiki bar??  Anyway, no more worrying about winning a 1954 built car when you model 1944!

As for the time of night, sleep is not important at Prototype Rails!  That’s what work this week is for ;)

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith            

Auburn, AL

https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."

On Jan 12, 2015, at 3:46 PM, cepropst@q.com [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I too have to agree that Jeff earned that 40% raise Mike gave him  ;  )) Jeff was in every room to make sure the presenter was ready. He turned off the lights and turned them on for those ‘running a bit long’. He even provided a computer for me to use. Well done, to all involved. 
Had lunch with the F&C family one day and closed the tiki bar with Ted Culotta and Jim Brewer another night. Was a great time!!

Biggest improvement: Door prize logistics. Biggest pain: Having the door prize give away so late. 
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Clark Propst

Bruce wrote: As for the time of night, sleep is not important at Prototype Rails! That’s what work this week is for ; )

I agree. I’ve used that line myself. A positive point is that it’s the only time most attendees are in one place. I only saw a few friends for a minute or two. I believe one of the hold ups is a panel discussion? Does anyone every attend it?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Mikebrock

Clark Propst asks about panel sessions:

"I believe one of the hold ups is a panel discussion? Does anyone every attend it?"

Generally...yes. In the case of the one last Sat, it was very well attended given that the subject was Coupler Functionality. There were about 100 messages on the STMFC on the subject prior to the meet.

Mike Brock
Prototype Rails Bossman.

Jared Harper

I have attended it every year I was in attendance at Cocoa Beach.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

---In STMFC@..., <cepropst@...> wrote :

Bruce wrote: As for the time of night, sleep is not important at Prototype Rails! That’s what work this week is for ; )

I agree. I’ve used that line myself. A positive point is that it’s the only time most attendees are in one place. I only saw a few friends for a minute or two. I believe one of the hold ups is a panel discussion? Does anyone every attend it?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi List Members,

This was my first time attending, and I had a thoroughly enjoyable time. Excellent presentations, and I got to chat with some friendly people and had some fascinating discussions. Beautifully done models in the model room.

My thanks go out to all the hard-working folks who made this event possible.

-  Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 7:31 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: So how was Cocoa?

I have attended it every year I was in attendance at Cocoa Beach.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa