From: "fgexbill@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
Date:01/19/2015 7:30 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] History of Bev-Bel

I have a whole box of Athearn Blue Box 40-ft steel boxcars painted very nicely by Bev-Bel. Curious about this company as it sounds like they put their name on some kits. I am wondering if someone could provide a short history of this company please?

Bill Welch

Dave Owens

Bev-Bel was a hobby distributor in Cresskill, N.J. that was best known for its custom decorating of Athearn and other rolling stock. They did a really nice job.

Beverly Belkin and her husband Irv were the owners. Bev's name provided the Bev-Bel.

I met them back in the 1990s and the business was being phased out as Bev and the others were way past retirement age.

I believe Athearn's sale and decision to stop producing blue box kits, leaving them nothing to decorate, helped bring about the end as well.

This is from the Walther's website:

Bev-Bel Corp., located in Cresskill, New Jersey, was founded in 1956 by Irvin & Beverly Belkin. Bev-Bel produces limited runs of roadnames and schemes not generally produced by major manufacturers, along with special-appeal rolling stock such as Christmas, 4th of July, Americana and Mexicana Models® series. Each run has its own distinct cab and car numbers.

Dave Owens
West Hartford, Conn.

--
2015 New England/Northeast Prototype Modelers Meet
May 29-30, 2015 (Always the weekend after Memorial Day)

Tim O'Connor

Dave, good summary. :-)

Bev-Bel also decorated Walthers, Train-Miniature and Model Die Casting cars,
and offered custom decorated locomotives and passenger cars as well. I always
thought they were loosely connected to Bill Glass (Robin's Rails) too, but
perhaps not. At one time (1970's to 1990's) there were quite a few different
vendors offering custom painted cars. I think the only ones left (like 5th Ave)
are using Accurail kits.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

The also produced a variety of wood and metal craftsman kitsŠ..

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, January 19, 2015 at 6:48 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] History of Bev-Bel

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 7:30 PM, fgexbill@tampabay.rr.com [STMFC]
<STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I have a whole box of Athearn Blue Box 40-ft steel boxcars painted very nicely
by Bev-Bel. Curious about this company as it sounds like they put their name
on some kits. I am wondering if someone could provide a short history of this
company please?

Bill Welch

--
2015 New England/Northeast Prototype Modelers Meet
May 29-30, 2015 (Always the weekend after Memorial Day)
Collinsville, Connecticut
www.neprototypemeet.com <http://www.neprototypemeet.com>
www.facebook.com/NERPM <http://www.facebook.com/NERPM>

I have 4 Bev-Bel decorated Robins Rails kits.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 3:31 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

D. Scott Chatfield

So what happened to the Belkins? I loaned them some boxcar slides back in the mid-80s and never got them back. I wish that had taught me to never loan out originals to manufacturers except I did it 15 years later to a big company and they too lost them. That said, I loaned plenty to Walthers and always got those back.

Scott Chatfield

Charlie Vlk

Bev-Bel and Karline provided variety in freight car decoration back in the dark ages when manufacturers thought one paint job and roadnumber was sufficient per railroad and kept that same car in their line for decades.

Kar-Line had RTR Athearn and Roundhouse cars, pre-equipped with Kadee couplers, that were nicely painted and decaled.   BevBel made special runs of kits and some RTR cars using pad printing or possibly early on rubber stamping.

“Back in the Day” Athearn and MDC Roundhouse were the primary production lines in town, with minor support from AHM, Fleischmann, Lindberg, Revell, Mantua/Tyco, Lionel, and Crown (Chinese copies of Athearn some of which are still in the Bachmann lineup).

Renumbering freight cars was important because our HO Club (the Illinois Tech Model Railroaders) had a car registry and if you didn’t make an entry first you had to get out the decals if you wanted to operate the car on the club layout.

From my days at Con-Cor/JMC and Kato I have good impressions of my contacts with Bev at Bev-Bel….they ran a nice business.

Charlie Vlk

.

Don Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Tim,

I worked with both firms over the years and do not believe there was ever
any connection between Bill & Ellen Glass' two "companies", E&B Valley and
Robin's Rails, and the Belkins other than the fact that Bev-Bel may have
distributed products from the Glass owned companies.

Bev-Bel also used to custom decorate Athearn Blue-Box F-units for roads
that Athearn chose not to offer. Amongst the first of these were B&M F-units
in the Minuteman paint style.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Edward

As an obvious aside here, BevBel also produced plastic O scale car kits under their name, which were from the 1970s Atlas O scale line. BevBel offered theirs in road names that Atlas did not use.

Ed Bommer

markstation01 <markstation01@...>

There was a business as well as a personal relationship between them,  I saw it first hand when E&B was in its infancy