Topics

e bay chuckle

ed_mines

I regularly buy old kits on e bay; Some of the listings are funny.

There are a lot of expensive Sunshine kits. The seller should realize that the some the cars are available from as easy to build plastc kits like the 52 ft gons from K2K and Tangent.

Why anyone would pay a premium for wood kits representing steel cars is beyond me, particularly the ACF covered hopper. Remember that screen representing the roof walk? Ugh.

My real reason for this post is a recent "unassembled" Ambroid D&H caboose kit. Look at the ends in the picture. Builder must have had a few drinks.

Ed Mines

Andy Harman

At 02:26 PM 1/28/2015 -0800, you wrote:
Why anyone would pay a premium for wood kits representing steel cars is beyond me, particularly the ACF covered hopper. Remember that screen representing the roof walk? Ugh.
I was never much of a whittler. Wrong generation I guess. The only reason I'd buy a wood kit - if the price is very reasonable - would be for the plans and shapes, so I could duplicate it in styrene... and possibly use any metal castings. The fact that I have not successfully done this yet speaks volumes.

Andy

Jeff Pellas <jppellas@...>

It is mostly a generational thing but some of us just like 'em. Hard to explain. If I can build a wood kit car that is the proper dimensions, is detailed, weighted, painted and lettered correctly, has the right trucks and is weathered properly, that is actually enough for me. If it doesn't hold up under a magnifying lens, so be it. Not saying I don't have some resin models, because I do, but, at the risk of snickers and guffaws, I love the ol' match stick kits!

--Jeff

>Why anyone would pay a premium for wood kits representing steel cars is
>beyond me, particularly the ACF covered hopper. Remember that screen
>representing the roof walk? Ugh.

I was never much of a whittler.  Wrong generation I guess.  The only reason
I'd buy a wood kit - if the price is very reasonable - would be for the
plans and shapes, so I could duplicate it in styrene... and possibly use
any metal castings.  The fact that I have not successfully done this yet
speaks volumes.

Andy

Posted by: Andy Harman <gsgondola@...>

<*> Your email settings: