From: frograbbit602@... [STMFC] To: STMFC
Sent: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 5:49 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Mathieson Dry Ice Reefer

After finishing a Westerfield resin DS MILW box car I thought it might be fun to build a Ambroid Company wood Mathieson Dry Ice refrigerator,  kit No 7, in the One of Five Thousand series that I picked up in an estate sale many years back.   After looking at the kit plan sheet the only photo of a car that I can find that is like the Mathieson car is the photo of FGEX 43982, an ex-PRR Class R7 using the same steel superstructure frame design of the X23 box car in the book "The Postwar Freight Car Fleet" by Kline and Culotta.
So, asking for help in directing me to a photo of a wood Mathieson Dry Ice refrigerator.   Thank you in advance for your time and effort to help.   Lester Breuer

Matthew Hurst

If you have RPR Cyc 15, there is a photo of a Mathieson Dry Ice reefer on page 77. Photo taken in Saltville, VA in 1952.

Hope that helps.

Matthew Hurst

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Saltville was an interesting place. Once a huge producer of chemicals, especially nitrates, it is now a shell of its former self. There are several locomotives plinthed in the city park, and when I was there several years ago there were freight cars (mandatory FC content) and cabooses scattered at several places around the town, remnants of a failed attempt to turn the branch line into a tourist road. The railroad had been shut down for years when I was there in the early 90s, and I'm sure all the track and equipment (except the steamers) has been removed.

My 1958 ORER lists 94 cars as belonging to Olin Mathieson Chemical Corportation. Of these, 44 were 10K tank cars operated by Republic Tank Car Co. for them under the SASX reporting marks. There were also two 10K tanks operated by Mathieson themselves under the CBMX reporting marks. The remaining 48 MAWX cars were dry ice cars of various types, many of them single cars or small lots of 2-3. What a mess! Home points for the dry ice cars were Chicago, Rochester, NY, and Saltville, VA.

I'm not sure of the parentage of the branch, but I think it might have belonged to the N&W at one time. It certainly connected with their system, so these dry ice cars would have been a seen in N&W freights.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/2/15 6:54 PM, Matthew Hurst handbt33@... [STMFC] wrote:

If you have RPR Cyc 15, there is a photo of a Mathieson Dry Ice reefer on page 77. Photo taken in Saltville, VA in 1952.

Hope that helps.

Matthew Hurst

Todd Horton

The line to Saltville was an N&W branch line. I read somewhere that it was one of the most prosperous branch lines on the N&W. That’s hard to believe considering the coal traffic on the N&W but I do recall reading that somewhere.   Todd Horton

[...]

Bruce Smith

Lester,

Page 68 of PRR Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment (vol 1) by Sweetland and Yanosey, shows NX 8850, a former PRR R7 in dry ice service in May 1963.  The photo shows "DRY ICE" lettering but the other panel on the side appears to be masked.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

After finishing a Westerfield resin DS MILW box car I thought it might be fun to build a Ambroid Company wood Mathieson Dry Ice refrigerator,  kit No 7, in the One of Five Thousand series that I picked up in an estate sale many years back.   After looking at the kit plan sheet the only photo of a car that I can find that is like the Mathieson car is the photo of FGEX 43982, an ex-PRR Class R7 using the same steel superstructure frame design of the X23 box car in the book "The Postwar Freight Car Fleet" by Kline and Culotta.

So, asking for help in directing me to a photo of a wood Mathieson Dry Ice refrigerator.   Thank you in advance for your time and effort to help.   Lester Breuer

Chuck Cover

There is a really nice Westerfield kit of the Mathieson Dry Ice Reefer.
Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM