From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, February 13, 2015 at 2:08 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] an odd lumber door CB&Q style in 1923

While in the foreground is a shiny B&O 2-8-8-0, in the background by the
front of the locomotive is single sheathed boxcar CB&Q 1308 and I think a 5.
The lumber door has a frame that extends out beyond the end of the roof:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-13/300-us-troops-iraq-under-severe-thr
eat-after-isis-seizes-nearby-town

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

gary laakso

Oops, wrong key sorry, it is Friday the 13th!

gary “egg on the key board” laakso

Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 3:08 PM
To: stmfc

While in the foreground is a shiny B&O 2-8-8-0, in the background by the front of the locomotive is single sheathed boxcar CB&Q 1308 and I think a 5.  The lumber door has a frame that extends out beyond the end of the roof:

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

Brad Andonian

I love zerohedge---wish they offered more vintage steam articles though...   I would be keen to see the CB&Q pic.

Brad Andonian
out west---where it rains.

Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 3:08 PM
To: stmfc

While in the foreground is a shiny B&O 2-8-8-0, in the background by the front of the locomotive is single sheathed boxcar CB&Q 1308 and I think a 5.  The lumber door has a frame that extends out beyond the end of the roof:

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

Rupert & Maureen <gamlenz@...>

Gary

Thanks for the link to the photo. I think there’s another number after the “5” – the only 13085 was built before 1885 and was off the roster by 1912!.  This was a XM-21, 40’ I.L. numbered 130251-131250, built by Bettendorf in 1916. The lumber door measured 2’ x 1’ 6”.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

While in the foreground is a shiny B&O 2-8-8-0, in the background by the front of the locomotive is single sheathed boxcar CB&Q 1308 and I think a 5.  The lumber door has a frame that extends out beyond the end of the roof:

gary laakso

south of Mike Brock

Dennis Storzek

I don't see anything so unusual about it. It might extend past the end of the roof, but so do the end posts in this car. It's arranged to slide down in tracks that make use of the outer flanges of the 4" Z posts, with a little "roof" over the tops of the posts to close the opening. The Soo Line used a lumber door that was almost the same, but the tracks mounted to the Z's held the door closer to the end sheathing.

Dennis Storzek