Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:24 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Sunshine NP kit #52.1

If some one has this kit will you look on the prototype sheet and post the car color for pre-WWII? I believe the color was of a brown hue. What brand of paint paint and color is recommended and if Tru-Color or other paint  has the right shade? Thank you for your time. Robert Deis

Mikebrock

Rpbert Deis writes:

"If some one has this kit will you look on the prototype sheet and post the car color for pre-WWII? I believe the color was of a brown hue. What brand of paint paint and color is recommended and if Tru-Color or other paint has the right shade?"

I have SS 52.5 which says 1 part Floquil RR-74 Box Car Red and 1 part Floquil RR-186 Oxide Red.
I quit using Floquil 20 yrs ago so I don't have a clue what this will produce. I have completed 52.? which has the smaller monad and I used Polyscale Oxide Red plus some box car red. Several photos effected my choice of color.

On pg 28 of Northern Pacific in Color Vol 1 by Nighswonger, one of the NP's 40 ft box cars is shown following a CB&Q box car. The NP car is clearly much more red than the Q car which appears in reddish brown dress. On pg 27 of Northern Pacific Color Pictorial- Vol 1, by Shine is a photo showing quite a few NP 40 ft box cars. Two of the NP box cars are VERY clearly much browner than the other NP box cars which have a definite reddish color. This suggests that, since the 2 brownish cars are steel sided, taller and more recent builds, NP likely changed the color on its box cars to a more brownish color in the first half of 1952, the photo being shot in May, '52. In Todd Sullivan's NP Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment is the comment, "...how the maroon hue of the mineral red paint color faded to a lighter red-brown".

The SS car makes into an excellent example of this important car.

Mike brock