CH&D&PM System what is it

SUVCWORR@...

What is the name of the road in the boxcar left side of the photo and what is the framed area to the right of the herald?

Rich Orr

715.07554.CP - Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh - Historic Pittsburgh Image Collection

Schuyler Larrabee

Speculation:

Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton & Pere Marquette? Perhaps the D is for
Detroit?

Framed area? No clue.

Schuyler

What is the name of the road in the boxcar left side of the photo and what
is the framed area to the right of the herald?

Rich Orr

715.07554.CP - Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh - Historic
Pittsburgh Image Collection

Image removed by sender. image

715.07554.CP - Archives Service Center, University o...

Subjects Pittsburgh (Pa.); Bridges--Design and
construction--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Smithfield Street Bridge
(Pittsburgh, Pa.); Blue collar workers--...

View on images.library.pitt.edu

Preview by Yahoo

Benjamin Hom

Rich Orr asked:
"What is the name of the road in the boxcar left side of the photo and what is the framed area to the right of the herald?"

Not just one railroad, but two affiliated railroads - Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton (CH&D) and the Pere Marquette (PM).

Ben Hom

David

This was the brief 1904-06 or so affiliation of CH&D and PM (and Chicago Cincinnati & Louisville later in the period), billed as the "Great Central Route".

Car itself is from PM series 32000-33249, built by ACF circa March 1905 Lot 3478. Door has simple railroad initials and number on it. The left side of the car had a large white oval with the road number, and an arched "P.M.R.R." flanking the top of the oval.

David Thompson

Eric Hansmann

Rich,

I believe the firring strip framing you see is a remnant of a poster. the paper is gone but the framing remains.

Also not the metal strips above the CH&D oval. I think those were also installed for an advertising banner of some sort. I also like the tag on the door.

The caption seems a bit odd as freight rails did not cross Smithfield Street in Pittsburgh. The B&O had a terminal on the downtown side while the P&LE had a terminal across the Monongahela. This photo may have been taken at the Try Street team yard or possibly at the old B&O freight house yard. It is a great window to the past no matter the actual location.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX