Topics

SHPX 55

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

I bought two Southern Car & Foundry 6,000 gallon three compartment tank cars, SHPX 55 with the intent of renumbering one of them for another car in the series. This car was built by Standard Tank Car Co., while most Type 27 tank cars were built by AF&C. The tank rivets on SHPX 55 are identical to the tanks built by AF&C as far as I can tell from prototype photos. However, the vertical dome rivets on AF&C cars are on the right side, while they are on the left side of the casting for SHPX 55. Another difference is that the casting for SHPX 55 has grab holes on the right side only, while AF&C domes have grabs on both sides. Still another difference is SHPX 55 has tank end grabs, while AF&C tank cars have tank side grabs.

The only photo I have of SHPX 55 is the rather poor one on the instruction sheet. This photo confirms tank end grabs and smooth dome on the left side (rivets on the right side).

Based upon the above analysis of AF&C cars, the casting for SHPX 55 can only be used for another car in the STCC series because of the left side dome rivets.

My questions are:

The AF&C roster lists 50-51 and 57-59. Does this mean that Standard Tank Car Co. built 52-56, i.e. were there other cars in the series that included SHPX 55?

Does SHPX 55 have platforms and grabs on both sides of the dome?

Nelson Moyer

al_brown03

The 1/43 ORER lists SHPX 50-67 (16 cars) as having 40 tons' capacity; with SHPX 53, 54, 56 as "exceptions" of 50 tons' capacity. Several explanations are possible. From most restrictive to least: (1) SHPX 55 is one of a kind. (2) SHPX 52 and 55 are identical to each other, but different from the other three. (3) SHPX 52-56 are identical except for the trucks. I'd love to find photos of the other four cars.

Kinkaid's "Tank Car Color Guide, vol 1", p 110, has a photo of HHCX 5016, a 6000-gallon 3-compartment car with the distinctive tank supports of a Standard Tank Car product. The author suggests that the series may have been HHCX 5011-5017. I need to study the picture more closely, but on cursory inspection the car bears a strong resemblance to SHPX 55.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

al_brown03

Turns out we've discussed this before. See Ian Cranstone's message #126703.

AL B.

Tangent Scale Models

---In STMFC@..., <abrown@...> wrote :

>>Turns out we've discussed this before. See Ian Cranstone's message #126703.<<

Bob's Photo sells a print of SHPX 55.

It is a 6000 gallon car with a Standard Tank Car underframe.  The tank is a match for the tank from Tangent Scale Models.  The dome circumferences are a match too, although they are different in that they are not as tall as the Tangent domes,  This is an easy fix with the Tangent design since you can remove some of the height from the Tangent dome before installing it.

It would a be a cool kitbash between the SC&F parts and Tangent parts. Tangent parts are in stock and can be ordered here: http://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/parts-general-american-6000-gal-3-comp-tank-car/

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

The SC&F upper tank half and domes are molded in one piece, so replacing the SC&F domes isn’t an easy option. I’ll look for the SHPX 55 photo at the next show we both attend. I bought the kits before your RTR model was released. Had I known it was coming, I wouldn’t have bought the kits. Now that I have two of them, I need to find a prototype for the second car.

Thanks,

Nelson Moyer

Turns out we've discussed this before. See Ian Cranstone's message #126703.<<

Bob's Photo sells a print of SHPX 55.

It is a 6000 gallon car with a Standard Tank Car underframe. The tank is a match for the tank from Tangent Scale Models. The dome circumferences are a match too, although they are different in that they are not as tall as the Tangent domes, This is an easy fix with the Tangent design since you can remove some of the height from the Tangent dome before installing it.

It would a be a cool kitbash between the SC&F parts and Tangent parts. Tangent parts are in stock and can be ordered here: http://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/parts-general-american-6000-gal-3-comp-tank-car/

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach

Tangent Scale Models

al_brown03

I've built both the SC&F and Tangent kits -- both great fun to build, in completely different ways -- and I enjoy the subtle differences between the finished cars. I had the honor and pleasure of showing both cars to Jon Cagle (of SC&F) at this year's Cocoa Beach meet.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.