SP-UP Ogden yard photo

Tim O'Connor

There's a bunch of beautiful photos in this collection, but I especially
like this one -- notable because at least EIGHT of the box cars in this one
"random" shot belong to the Pennsylvania railroad. As Tony has said many times,
we are all PRR modelers. :-)

http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Roger-Kingsford-Photos/i-zngNrV8/0/X3/sp-ogden-yard-2_kingsford-X3.jpg

Tim O'Connor

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

There's a bunch of beautiful photos in this collection, but I especially like this one -- notable because at least EIGHT of the box cars in this one "random" shot belong to the Pennsylvania railroad. As Tony has said many times, we are all PRR modelers. :-)

http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Roger-Kingsford-Photos/i-zngNrV8/0/X3/sp-ogden-yard-2_kingsford-X3.jpg

    Tim is right about the PRR cars, but I confess my eye went first to the lovely string of PFE cars in the background, with a truly wonderful range of weathering. How many readers of this list can boast a similarly-varied string of reefers in their collection? (I'm working on mine, but not there yet.)

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Mikebrock

Tony Thompson writes in reply to Tim O'Connor:

"Tim is right about the PRR cars, but I confess my eye went first to the lovely string of PFE cars in the background, with a truly wonderful range of weathering. How many readers of this list can boast a similarly-varied string of reefers in their collection?"

It looks like at least some of the PFE Reefers exhibit rather dirty sides but with less dirty SP and UP heralds. Also, note the second car to the left of the bright red GN car. It appears to be a UP 50 ft auto car in yellow lettering. It is obviously very dirty, much more so that the UP box car, the third car to its left.

Man, how would you model Ogden without using that Wasatch Mtn backdrop?

Mike Brock

midrly

Have you any idea how many GLa and H21 hoppers, along with X29 boxcars, got into Canada?

Even die-hard Canadian STMFC modellers are PRR STMFC modellers.

Steve Lucas.

Todd Horton

Is there a date on the photo?  I’m guessing at least 1958 or later.  Todd Horton

There's a bunch of beautiful photos in this collection, but I especially
like this one -- notable because at least EIGHT of the box cars in this one
"random" shot belong to the Pennsylvania railroad. As Tony has said many times,
we are all PRR modelers. :-)

http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Roger-Kingsford-Photos/i-zngNrV8/0/X3/sp-ogden-yard-2_kingsford-X3.jpg

Tim O'Connor

Todd Horton

Can anyone ID the covered hopper between the UP and Wabash boxcars?   Todd Horton

There's a bunch of beautiful photos in this collection, but I especially
like this one -- notable because at least EIGHT of the box cars in this one
"random" shot belong to the Pennsylvania railroad. As Tony has said many times,
we are all PRR modelers. :-)

http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Roger-Kingsford-Photos/i-zngNrV8/0/X3/sp-ogden-yard-2_kingsford-X3.jpg

Tim O'Connor

tyesac@...

I noticed that the "eastern"  (PRR, C&O, B&O L&N) cars and midwestern (MKT, CB&Q) cars out number the home road box cars (exclusive of the long string of PFE cars), and that composite side box cars are pretty scarce (I count one CB&Q car).    Also brand new paint jobs &/or brightly colored cars are about in equaly small proportion (not a scientific survey of course).

Tom Casey
There's a bunch of beautiful photos in this collection, but I especially
like this one -- notable because at least EIGHT of the box cars in this one
"random" shot belong to the Pennsylvania railroad. As Tony has said many times,
we are all PRR modelers. :-)

http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Roger-Kingsford-Photos/i-zngNrV8/0/X3/sp-ogden-yard-2_kingsford-X3.jpg

There's a bunch of beautiful photos in this collection, but I especially
like this one -- notable because at least EIGHT of the box cars in this one
"random" shot belong to the Pennsylvania railroad. As Tony has said many times,
we are all PRR modelers. :-)

http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Roger-Kingsford-Photos/i-zngNrV8/0/X3/sp-ogden-yard-2_kingsford-X3.jpg

Tim O'Connor

ottokroutil

Beautiful, and the backdrop is stunning! Since I don't see any references to when the photo was taken, would you or anyone make an educated guess based on cars and paint schemes represented? As in no earlier then .....
Thanks for the links!
Otto K.

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <tyesac@...> wrote :

I noticed that the "eastern"  (PRR, C&O, B&O L&N) cars and midwestern (MKT, CB&Q) cars out number the home road box cars (exclusive of the long string of PFE cars), and that composite side box cars are pretty scarce (I count one CB&Q car).
=====================

When looking at yard pictures, one has to remember that railroads tended to do the same thing in the same part of the yard day after day, and the cars in the yard are not a random mix. I suspect we are looking at the tracks where eastward trains were built, so are seeing a preeminence of eastern road cars headed toward home, either under load of empty.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

Todd Horton asked

>> Can anyone ID the covered hopper between the UP and Wabash boxcars?
http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Roger-Kingsford-Photos/i-zngNrV8/0/X3/sp-ogden-yard-2_kingsford-X3.jpg

Todd,

It's clearly an airslide hopper but I don't recognize the lettering. It appears
to be a stylized map of a state (Wisconsin or Minnesota) in bright red.

Dennis

Actually this shot encompasses both UP and SP yards in Ogden. Most of the interchange
here was Overland Route traffic to and from California, and there were literally thousands of
cars interchanged daily. I've seen other photos showing FOUR UP switchers simultaneously
working the throat of the UP side of the yard. Since this is not a large "classification" yard there
was minimal car sorting and average dwell time probably was measured in hours, not days.

In other words I don't think that much can be inferred from a single photo or even several photos.
Mike Brock has mentioned consists of freight trains that were mostly one road or another, and
multi-car blocks from a single railroad were a common sight.

Tim O'Connor

I noticed that the "eastern"  (PRR, C&O, B&O L&N) cars and midwestern (MKT, CB&Q) cars out number the home road box cars (exclusive of the long string of PFE cars), and that composite side box cars are pretty scarce (I count one CB&Q car).
=====================

When looking at yard pictures, one has to remember that railroads tended to do the same thing in the same part of the yard day after day, and the cars in the yard are not a random mix. I suspect we are looking at the tracks where eastward trains were built, so are seeing a preeminence of eastern road cars headed toward home, either under load of empty.

Dennis Storzek

tyesac@...

Dennis,

I had the same thought.  I did notice both UP & SP cars in the same string of box cars. So, without knowing the specific yard layout, I'd agree with your assement. I also noticed that tank cars & hoppers are fewer in number.   But, whether these cars are "coming" or "going" doesn't matter as much as they're in Utah on the UP.   What I'm thinking is, if you took a corresponding picture of a model railroaders' yard or at a club, I'd bet that you'd see much of the home road cars than a closer correlation to colorful/newly painted cars.   Clearly not a statisticly proveable point, but as a modeling guide, matching the appearance of those strings of cars is a worthy goal.    Not a shiny rib of plastic grab iron to be seen anywere.

I also noticed that the proportion of reefers that are clean and or have thier reweigh/inspection data cleaned off is noticeably different than what is seen in the string of box cars and stock cars.

Tom Casey

[...]

Jim Betz

Todd,

The first use of Vermillion Red on GN freight cars was in 1956 ...
________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
2a. Re: SP-UP Ogden yard photo
Posted by: "Todd Horton" toddchorton@rocketmail.com toddchorton@rocketmail.com
Date: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:17 am ((PDT))
Is there a date on the photo? I'm guessing at least 1958 or later.

mikefrommontanan

That is an early series of Brach's Candy Airslides operating under lease from GACX. If that train is comprised of eastbound cars, then the Airslide was likely loaded at the Utah and Idaho Sugar plants near there. Brach's airslides also ran on the NP from Billings to Chicago.

Lots of neat things in that yard though.

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT
TaxSlayer
Max your refund with TaxSlayer.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/54ff6a9d132e86a9c27d2st03vuc

Richard Townsend

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Otto K (not signing his full name) wrote:

Beautiful, and the backdrop is stunning! Since I don't see any references to when the photo was taken, would you or anyone make an educated guess based on cars and paint schemes represented? As in no earlier then .....
Thanks for the links!

      One guess was 1958. It is certainly later than 1956 and I think certainly not as late as 1960, so I would view the 1958 guess as a good one.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Roger-Kingsford-Photos/i-zngNrV8/0/X3/sp-ogden-yard-2_kingsford-X3.jpg

I think the year is either 1958 (GN 12000-12249), 1959 (GN 12499-12999),
or 1960 (GN 13000-13499) because that GN 40' combination door box car is
brand spanking new. If the number were legible we could pin it down.

Tim O'Connor