an old Rock Island flat car

Tim O'Connor

I uploaded a photo I took of what I think is RI 92103, listed
as one of 3 43 foot flat cars in this series in 1955. I zoomed
in and also loaded a scan that shows the truck in more detail,
which I think is a USRA style Andrews truck. The scans are made
from a photo print so the quality is only so-so.

I took the pictures in July 1992 in Grafton Massachusetts, where
the Grafton & Upton short line connected to Conrail's ex-Boston
& Albany mainline between Boston and Worcester MA.

RI 92103 --
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45425384@N04/16585363399/in/set-72157650860825108

The truck on the B-end --
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45425384@N04/16585362959/in/album-72157650860825108/

Tim O'Connor

Todd Horton

That car was in very good condition for its age.  Todd Horton

I uploaded a photo I took of what I think is RI 92103, listed
as one of 3 43 foot flat cars in this series in 1955. I zoomed
in and also loaded a scan that shows the truck in more detail,
which I think is a USRA style Andrews truck. The scans are made
from a photo print so the quality is only so-so.

I took the pictures in July 1992 in Grafton Massachusetts, where
the Grafton & Upton short line connected to Conrail's ex-Boston
& Albany mainline between Boston and Worcester MA.

RI 92103 --
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45425384@N04/16585363399/in/set-72157650860825108

The truck on the B-end --
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45425384@N04/16585362959/in/album-72157650860825108/

Tim O'Connor

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <timboconnor@...> wrote :

I uploaded a photo I took of what I think is RI 92103, listed
as one of 3 43 foot flat cars in this series in 1955. I zoomed
in and also loaded a scan that shows the truck in more detail,
which I think is a USRA style Andrews truck.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45425384@N04/16585362959/in/album-72157650860825108/

Tim O'Connor

Definitely NOT the USRA truck, which were modern, for the time, U section trucks. The truck in the photo has the older T or L section sideframes, which were banned from interchange early.

I think the older Kadee Andrews truck is close to this truck; don't know if the same truck is part of their upgraded truck line.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Dennis -- It does have an L section frame. So it's an early Andrews. The
T and L section trucks were banned from unrestricted interchange on Jan 1, 1957.

Tim O'Connor